• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 03:41:46 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Atma's Sprites

Started by Atma, December 16, 2011, 11:41:31 am

Atma

Hello fellow Hacktics folk!

So, I've finally decided to get a topic going to put all my work together.  I'm still not super active (pretty busy irl) so don't expect my works in progress to progress very fast.  Also, I'm doing these for myself so if u don't like how they look, too bad!  JK, I like comments and crits, but they're for my personal patch so the only person probably playing it will be me.  That said, take any of my stuff and change it to hell and back for all I care, just be kind and credit me for some of the work.  Well, then... time to post some of my stuff to date.

Seacrest, out!
My name is Atma... I am pure energy... and as ancient as the cosmos.

Kagebunji

No one is giving you a time limit or something, so do t in your own pace, lol.

I'm eager to see it all.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Atma

First sprite I did was a mod of the female Squire.  Thought I'd take her clothes off and call it a day.  I actually liked the results.  No, seriously tho, I wanted to get a base 'body' for future sprites so I tried making it without clothes.

Called it Itsy Bitsy for her itsy bitsy, teeny weeny bikini.  Used the Squires arms... didn't bother doing bare arms since there is one of that for the dancer, tho it's TYPE 2 I believe.
Tried to pick colours that follow the games palette scheme.  Portrait is crap.  I think it was just Balmafula with a lil colour change.

Kagebunji

Ahahaha, so it was you who did Itsy-Bitsy! I always wondered who did it :P

Grats on things, they seem the hardest. Yoo bad you left such arms and legs though :/

Atma

...ur killing my opening posts here... jeez!  :evil:

glad ur checking this out.. got a few more posts to do...

Kagebunji

Oh, I thought you would be happy to see attention, but since you aren't just gimme a word and I will erase my posts... <,<

Anyway, I still want to see more, yes.

Atma

Next completed sprite was my interpretation of the Ronin sprite from Disgaea.  I'm pretty happy with it... but I didn't realize that the arms were different for TYPE 1 and TYPE 2.  That was fun to convert. :roll:
Once again, tried to follow the colour scheme of the game for the palettes, minus the first, I guess.  Unfortunately the white on her top is using the white of her eyes, so I couldn't change that colour to drastically.

Lijj nabbed the sprite and used it for the female Parivir he worked on.  If any of u saw the discussions when I was making this u know their was a lot of hatred for my portrait, so this one looks a lil different.  I still like the one I have, but I still may tweak it a bit before I do my final patch.

Atma

No need, this is kinda funny.  Giving me a lil chuckle.  :lol:

Atma

December 16, 2011, 12:06:11 pm #8 Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 12:45:21 pm by Atma
Alright, my next upload is a less ambitious undertaking and I'm still doing more to it.  It's an edit of Agrias.  I know, a lil overdone maybe, but hey, it's for my own mod.  So, I've never really liked her short coat/jacket she has and whenever I got Meliadoul I'd always just use her cause she looks cool, but I still like Agrias, so..... FUSION!
I gave her the long cloak Meliadoul wears, minus the hood and tried to keep as many elements as Agriasy (yes, I used her name as a verb, u got a problem with that?) as possible.  I kept the armour and sleeves.  Added the trim at the bottom to look like her old jacket.
Now, as I said, I'm not totally done.  The first version should be totally playable, but I kind of feel I can push it a lil more and still have it look like Agrias.  I kinda think her torso seems a little too plain as is with the mod, so I thought I'd add an extra plate of armour to her breastplate.  I'm also probably gonna add an extra highlight tone to her armour to give it a bit more of a shine.  She's fancy and holy, ya know.  No change to the portrait.

Atma

...for the future mods:
here's the current, and a version of the same armour, but with highlights and one with the extra armour piece + highlights.
C+C welcome, but I'm already pretty set on doing the extra armour piece.  I wanted to incorporate the 'Crown' emblem u see on her in artwork, but I don't think I can get it to work in such a small form.  So, I doubt that will happen.  I may consider a cape version, but I doubt it... to far from the original.

Atma

December 16, 2011, 12:18:41 pm #10 Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 12:47:48 pm by Atma
as for some more stuff, just to get it out there so everyone can get an idea of what's to come, here's some early snippits of stuff I've done.
I'm doing a small edit to the Behemoths.  Felt they looked too cute so I'm trying to make them a lil more scary.  Changing the claws to a different colour and adding a second colour to the fins.  I looked at a bunch of Behemoths from different FFs and tried to get this to closer match the common style of them.
The other 2 are sprites from the Disgaea series.  One is the Wood Golem, which I think totally rocks and have to try to make work.  The other is the Water Beast.  The problem with these sprites is the same problem I had with the Ronin sprite.  The Disgaea sprites are 1.5x the size of FFT sprites.  These don't look too bad with a quick scale job, maybe just a bit of tweaking is all they'll need(I hope).  I've been looking through the wiki and other topics where people have worked on monster sprites and I'm pretty comfortable with the layout of the monster sheet, but I may be bugging people for some info if I run in to any snags.

(almost done my opening posts... I'll shut up soon, I swear)

Atma

December 16, 2011, 12:41:14 pm #11 Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 12:52:10 pm by Atma
For this post I don't have any pics for ya (sorry if ur like me and need pictures to make reading more interesting).
I'm also planning to alter quite a few of the generics in the game, so I'll post them as I work on them.  I'm starting the Summoner (F), Ninja (M+F), Wizard (F), Rad, Alicia, Lavian (gonna try to finish what R999 was doing with them), and Knight (M+F).

Summoner - I'm gonna try and strip down the ugly blanket looking robes off the summoner and try to make it more like other summoners from other FFs.  

Ninja - I know a lot of people aren't too keen on the female Ninja (as I'm not) so I'm gonna do a major overhaul on that.  I've posted some very early concepts of it in the 'what are you working on' topic, but I've pretty much scrapped those and trying something else.  I still am trying to get it to look like the Disgaea version since it looks a lot like Ibuki from Street Fighter.  Male one I mostly like, just might change the head, maybe add a lil armour... not too sure, yet.

Wizard - I like both versions, but I've always felt they looked too short and chubby.  I'm pretty sure it's because their hats were so bit they had to shrink them to fit the sprite, but I wanna try to keep the bodies in scale.  I'll probably just use the Black Waltz sprite for the male, but I've done a sheet for the female that uses the Dancer+Balmafula's arms+Elidibs hat.  I don't mind it... but it needs some work.  I may also split male and female in my mod to make a Witch job.

Rad - I kind of want to make an apprentice Dark Knight, but I'm thinking more just a 'dark' version of the Squire class.  I like the version Vanya is/was working on, but I think I'll keep it more Squire like.

Alicia+Lavian - R999 did a couple concepts for them using Agrias' sprite recoloured for each of them and gave them different hair styles.  I saw it and just totally had to try and complete them.

A lot to read, I know.  I'm also really keen on making a sprite for KOS MOS and T-elos from Xenosaga.  They'd be perfect for Worker/Construct 8 and 7.  KOS MOS has very similar moves to Worker 8, they'd just fit so perfectly (R-Hammer, R-Drill, X-Buster)  and T-elos is essentially just a recolour of KOS MOS and coincidentally a sort of rival and since it's a future/space series, maybe a wormhole or something to bring them to Ivalice?

So, that's all for now.  NOW u may reply all u want. (kage... <cough, cough>)  Remember... I've got a lot I want to do and not much free time, so be patient if ur waiting for any of this.

Celdia

Oh wow. Itsy Bitsy is just...wow. Talk about 'classic fantasy armor'. That one just makes me laugh so hard, its great. I almost wish I had some use for it. Maybe I can think of something.

I really like how the long coat on Agrias looks as well as the highlight to her armor.Not sure if the third version with the extra armor pixels makes a huge difference. I'd need to see that in action. ...would you mind if I poached this for CCP? Simple edit that it is, it does something for her that I think is a very nice change.

Also, that Wood Golem looks pretty beastly. I'd love to see how that comes together for a monster sprite. Always looking for new and interesting monsters.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

Lijj

I like itsy-bitsty. I actually have a "teeny-weeny" somewhere in my sprite bmp file. Inspired by itsy-bitsy of course.
I think she ought to be on the sprite page; Xifanie removed it a while ago if I recall. I do remember her butt had a stray pixel on it in the walking frames or something.

Joseph Strife

Nice sprites you got there Atma, i liked the long coat agrias, looks good.

P.s.: 6 posts in a row? I think we have a new record. COOOOOMBO BREAK!!!! :P
Gaffgarion: It's in the contract!
Ramza: Does your contract says: "When you find a former squire, that now is a Holy knight that has kidnapped a princess, in a bridge by a waterfall fighting a brigade you are supposed to kill everybody that helps him!"
Gaffgarion: ... Sure!
Ramza: ... Let me see your contract...
Gaffgarion: ... No...

Kagebunji

I really like Agrias with coat, latest concept works best. It does need some fixing though, like the gold outline on coat, it's not very round, and rather sharp here and there(just make it roundier). Other thing is that left leg seems to be vut a little by the coat, Agrias has big armored legs, and tight coat is what makes it look weird, I like how it looks on the back though.

As to Disgaea, shading on those sprites are REALLY different from FFt, I wouldn't know where to start with fixes...

Atma

QuoteI really like how the long coat on Agrias looks as well as the highlight to her armor.Not sure if the third version with the extra armor pixels makes a huge difference. I'd need to see that in action. ...would you mind if I poached this for CCP? Simple edit that it is, it does something for her that I think is a very nice change.

Take it if u want.  The reason I was thinking of adding a lil something more to it was for a few of the attacking animations.  When her torso is exposed, like a high attack or something, it looks a little plain. 

QuoteI really like Agrias with coat, latest concept works best. It does need some fixing though, like the gold outline on coat, it's not very round, and rather sharp here and there(just make it roundier). Other thing is that left leg seems to be vut a little by the coat, Agrias has big armored legs, and tight coat is what makes it look weird, I like how it looks on the back though.

I don't quite get what u mean by sharp.  u mean the gold needs extra pixels so it's not such a rigid/hard edge?  Kind of blend/shade it a lil better?

QuoteAs to Disgaea, shading on those sprites are REALLY different from FFt, I wouldn't know where to start with fixes...

Agreed.  I haven't done much besides copy the sprites to a working folder.  ;) I know I'll probably get to fit them in, but the shading will be a problem.  Thanks for pointing it out... didn't even think of that.

Durbs

Mega like Agrias. Mind if I steal it for Jot5?

Kagebunji

Quote from: Atma on December 16, 2011, 04:19:25 pm
I don't quite get what u mean by sharp.  u mean the gold needs extra pixels so it's not such a rigid/hard edge?  Kind of blend/shade it a lil better?

Yes, hard edges. I didn't know how to put it, but it seems you got it right nonetheless, heh.

Atma

QuoteMega like Agrias. Mind if I steal it for Jot5?

As you wish. (for all the Princess Bride fans out there?)

QuoteYes, hard edges. I didn't know how to put it, but it seems you got it right nonetheless, heh.

I'll see what I can do.  U can give it a crack if it's easier than trying to explain.  Maybe wait to see if I screw it up, first?