• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Choto's maybe sprites

Started by Choto, September 12, 2011, 09:12:40 pm

Twinees

Looks great Choto, don't forget about the black colour though (In my opinion the most essential colour)!
  • Modding version: PSX

Choto

Thanks Twin and others for the crits, could you elaborate on the black color? Or do you mean the background on the gif's and you're just messing :P

Also, I never knew about the two over two down things with arms. Are there any other conventions like that that are a good rule of thumb?

Made slight progress on the back concept but I'm still a bit put off with it... back concepts are always 1000000 billion times harder than fronts for some reason.

Twinees

Yeah sure. Pretty much every all FFT sprites use the colour #282828 or #282820 as the darkest colour (the black). You said you used Rafa as your palette reference so if you look at her eyes and her hands you will find it :P. It is hardly used on her though, the only other place is on her feet.

Luiakyn

Quote from: Twinees on April 11, 2014, 12:03:31 pm
Yeah sure. Pretty much every all FFT sprites use the colour #282828 or #282820 as the darkest colour (the black). You said you used Rafa as your palette reference so if you look at her eyes and her hands you will find it :P. It is hardly used on her though, the only other place is on her feet.

oh! I get what you're saying, now. I thought you meant the background >.>

Choto

April 19, 2014, 12:03:22 am #64 Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 11:37:35 pm by Choto
Little update with some animations. Sheet is filling out a bit. I feel ok about the back concept, but his butt and lower back still bother me a little. Also shading his left side when his arms are up seemed a little pillowy to me.

Still needs quite a bit of work but it's coming along steadily. Luiakyn Idk how you work so quickly and knocked that giant out :P

Seushiro

The dark purple dots on the top most part of the head has to go. They will not blend in game but rather float right out cause of the color difference.

Twinees

Haha awesome stuff. Just maybe watch out for some frames where his is getting chopped off (I'm not sure if you'll be able to fix that due to size constraints though)
I'm not a big fan of the purple following the grey though, but its great that you are shading with a good amount of colours so you can swap palettes at any time (good thinking :D).

Lijj

I love the attack animation! Keep it up Choto.
& the palette does seem out of place with that purple shade.

Kagebunji

Attack animation is indeed awesome, looks really clean. Keep it up man :)
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Choto

April 22, 2014, 11:27:55 pm #69 Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 11:38:32 pm by Choto
I'm calling the sprite done for now. I probably need to make another cleaning pass and see how it looks in game but he's in a good place now. I started working on the portrait and wanted to post it if anybody wants to get their creative juices flowing. It's only my second portrait so I still need to learn and practice. Now that i look at it I think his head is a bit round on the top. I'm having a hard time finding shades or textures to put in his hair.

Thanks ya'll guru's for your approval :) and good call Seushiro on the hairs!

Also updated the animation post w/ spritesheet

jimmyjw88

April 23, 2014, 12:32:36 am #70 Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 01:20:22 am by jimmyjw88
Any reference on this for the portrait? I could try make a rough sketch, though I think its better for me to leave to the pros.

EDIT: Rough sketch
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Seushiro

Jimmy please do a rough sketch. I consider you a pro cause of your experience and It is good practice too. It might give that WIP portrait a great shift in direction. I agree with Choto on the creative juices.

Edit: oh you already did... keep it up

Congrats on the sprite completion Choto. Monsters are harder to make than the normal piece by piece sprite. Kudos.

Twinees

Great job Choto. It's awesome to see that you finished this, Umaro is a great character and you've done a great job. When I'm feeling up to it next I'll have a look through the sprite and tell you some more things about it or I can fix some things that look a bit odd if you want.

I used Jimmy's outlines and came up with this. It still needs a bit of polish but hopefully that helps you out Choto. Its pretty minimal with the colour usage, I think 12 so you can really do anything you want with it :P.

Don't doubt yourself Jimmy, you're a great pixel artist.

Seushiro

From the outline into that hot dang! It is awesome now I wanna see where that will go when Choto adds more details/shadings with the remaining color slots.

*bows and worship Twinees*

Quote from: Twinees on April 23, 2014, 04:10:48 am
Don't doubt yourself Jimmy, you're a great pixel artist.

Also this

jimmyjw88

April 23, 2014, 06:35:13 am #74 Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 09:15:21 am by jimmyjw88
Damn you Twinees! That looks great! :P

Quote from: Seushiro on April 23, 2014, 04:27:35 am

Quote from: Twinees on April 23, 2014, 04:10:48 amDon't doubt yourself Jimmy, you're a great pixel artist.

Also this

You both are giving me too much praise. I can (not will) admit that I can sketch, but shading woes me still. :P
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Choto

April 23, 2014, 08:29:34 am #75 Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 08:40:41 am by Choto
I will take this. I will study it. I will not return to civilization until I am one with the portrait. *Heads towards the Appalachian Mountains*

Thanks to both of you. Outlining like that is something I've never been able to do either Jimmy so that definitely helps me to see. I posted the reference I was using below. Twin anything you want to fix feel free, otherwise crits are great. I think the only big thing is that I changed the back-facing legs in the defending/charging/casting poses to have somewhat of a knee and I didn't really cross that over to the walking frames. The jumping frames may be questionable too.

Lijj

Hell yeah nice Umaro portrait update Twin.

Luiakyn

Damn awesome stuff.
Jimmy, I also consider you "one of the pros", for what it's worth : )