• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 12:32:18 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Choto's maybe sprites

Started by Choto, September 12, 2011, 09:12:40 pm

Choto

September 12, 2011, 09:12:40 pm Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 09:11:31 pm by Choto
Current Projects in order of priority:

Project for Elric - about 50% complete

Flan Sprite

1 Headed Dragon

new panther animation

GeneralStrife

the shading is scary, im not sure what you did, you need to take colors from existing sprites.

RandMuadDib

I think rafa looks better in a dress, I always hated her and malak's sprites, even more than mustadio's. At least he had cool hair.
I will show you the power of SARDIIIIINES!!!!

Choto

Yeah... it's a shading mess I know.. It was literally me changing whatever colors on the palette I wanted with no rhyme or reason. I'm slightly colorblind too so that may contribute to poor shading :P

GeneralStrife

look at similiar sprites and how the shading is done...and the colors and the ratio between the brightest and darkest...and dont over pillow-shade

Celdia

I couldn't look at the three layers on the palette (and 31 colors used) and not at least try to clean it up. I dropped it to 4bpp and just tried to clean up a bit from there without changing the colors that were still being used too much. I did try to fix the eyes a bit as some were blue and purple and others were grey/white. This is currently at 14 colors used.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

Choto

Thanks for the advice Generalstrife, 'ppreciate it!

Thanks Celdia, a little color swappin and the palette is set.

I'll work on her for awhile and see if I can get the hang of it.

Wolfran

Mmm ugly pallete, but the dress is a great idea.
I think this new Rafa will need a new portrait, I hate the current one.
Welcome to FFH were you can do things like...

Cheetah

This is a decent concept. The problem appears to be that you are not using a good transition colors for the palette. One of your darker shades of the purple is way too saturated and makes it look fugly even though the shading may actually be proper. Get your colors from existing sprites. This is Rulte #1 of FFT spriting.
Current Projects:

Choto

Here's another sprite I started after getting advice from you guys. I tried following the "rules" alot more with this one ^_^. To me it seemed to work out much better than Rafa so far, what do ya'll think?

Kagebunji

The head is looking weird on the body, since it is soo bulky, try giving him Samurai arms too. As to Rafa, use Female Time mage purples, and Teta or Alma as a reference for shading, this shoul help you.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Zozma

I like that rafa idea, makes me think of a gypsy lol. of course the colors arent right but once you fix that...
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Cheetah

This is also a good looking sprite. The color choice is really nice for the samurai. I would recommend changing the helmet just a little to make it even more original. Maybe something like this, and then this character could be like the lead samurai:

Current Projects:

Choto

Thanks for the feedback guys :)

Here's the samurai with more samurai-like arms. I didn't want them to be blocky like the stock samurai armor, so I tried to round them up a little. Also tried to render something like Nobunaga's helmet that Cheetah suggested:

Question: Is it a no-no to post the whole spritesheet? just wondering

Cheetah

It is generally fine to post the entire sprite sheet, but if you are only making a few changes to the key frames it is usually best to just post those so people know what you are changing.

The new arms look good, but I'm not sure they fit with the sprite as a whole. I actually preferred the straight Zalbagg sprite look. That new addition to the helmet will be tough. You might want to look at some monster sprites for some horns or other body bits that might be easy to translate. Just google samurai helmet and you will get a variety of options.
Current Projects:

Celdia

I'm with Cheetah on the arms - go with the Zalbag ones over the Samurai ones. Try to give the sprite some other defining detail like a new design on the cape or on the hem of the tunic. I do like your first take on the helmet 'horns'.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

RavenOfRazgriz

I love the idea of the Samurai Helm on Zalbag Body, and honestly, I prefer it with the Samurai arms.  It gives him a really interesting and still clearly armored aesthetic, and makes him look properly filled out.  The Zalbag arms just look weird to me, they're far too scrawny given the head.  Zalbag Body + Samurai Head/Arms + Commander Horn would look great personally.

GeneralStrife

I'm tellin ya man this is the money shot.

RavenOfRazgriz

Don't take this the wrong way, but shit looks ridiculous.  :(

Then again I really dislike the male Ronin/Parivir's arms to begin with on the same idea of "shit looks ridiculous", tossing that funky huge helmet on it just makes the shit look even more ridiculous.

No offense, :p

Kagebunji

Without Samurai arms the Zalbag body doesn't match with helm at all. Too bulky, especially on back frames, Samurai arms are a must here. And good luck with the helm!