• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 07:02:57 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

FFT Spriting tutorial [VID]

Started by Lijj, January 25, 2011, 11:51:53 am

Lijj

January 25, 2011, 11:51:53 am Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 11:58:11 am by Lijj
Welcome aspiring spriters!!!  we have a walkthrough in the works.. This is part one which will walk you through the 1st half of the sheet just about to the fighting frames:http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=6617.0
more to come!
  • Modding version: PSX

Kagebunji

And once you get through this amazing video tutorial, read this:
http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11299&PID=139322#139322
You will need it as well, to become great spriters!

Thanks to Lijj for this link.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Zuzka

This is helpful and got me started..  I also found the good version of shishi's(r4)! I'm not as good at this as I thought but do enjoy the boost I got from this tutorial, thought the fast forward voice is weird :) but made me smile and thanks for all the shortcut tips. Good thing you posted some text too; very helpful. Nice link too Kagebunji.. I think I'm on my way to becoming a better pixelist. I probably wont do anything too custom bvut plan on making a couple personal headswaps.
<3 to Lijj and kagebunji!

Teddirayo

I'll Do it!! and fulfill my destiny
Kupo Mothafucka!!! do you speak it?

BloodyPicard

Thanks for the opportunity to grow. I feel pretty confused mainly by the photoshop tools. I'm not finished with the video yet so I'm going to get back to it. Just wanted to say thanks.

Lijj

I'm glad you have checked it out; I was going to do a second part but i think it's enough to get someone going. I hope the texted keyboard hints help speed up the process for you. V key then arrows are good for moving selected sections around (I don't think I mentioned that anywhere in the vids) V key, shift and an arrow key moves them ten pixels at a time.

Yes fulfill your destiny; the time has come. You are the chosen one! You were the frozen one til today ;/

BloodyPicard

I've watched in a couple times now. In the first part he selects all of the arms well a section of them. After he finishes selecting all of them (using lasso?) I'm pretty sure he just pushed G for bucket fill. It just seemed like it did everything by itself. Like change the palette of the arms with one click or something. Am I understanding this right? If so that would be really useful and save so much time. Also I noticed that photoshop can edit .spr files? Sorry for the bother.

Lijj

Yes use shift to select more than one part at a time 9with Marquee Selection tool or Magic Wand) until you have everything selected that you need; then use Paint Bucket tool but set  it with contigous off to paint all colors at once. Don't forget to turn anti aliasing off as well on Paint Bucket tool and also set tolerance to 1.
You have to work with a BMP format, SPR files are for Shishi's only. You can export BMPs from Shishi's then open those in Photoshop. Get Shishi's from here:
http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=5084.0
or from the main page.

BloodyPicard

Thanks a lot good sir. I already have ShiShi's I was just unaware that it could export BMP files.  So it can paint bucket everything at once? How does it know what colors to use and what is supposed to be darker and lighter? Also I guess I can only use 16 colors including black for any sprite that I make on my own. Again thanks for helping me out.