• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 05:42:56 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Full body portraits

Started by Smash, May 09, 2009, 03:45:45 am

Smash

May 09, 2009, 03:45:45 am Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Smash
Think you're absolutely badass at spriting FFT?

I have a challenge.

It's simple, really. It consists of taking a FFT mug, and pixel a body for it from scratch. It can have the same pose as the artwork, or a custom one, whichever you prefer. You are not limited to the 16 original colors, that challenge is optional.

This, I assure you, if done correctly, could grant enough practice for you to greatly increase spriting skills, even if you fail.

For the thread to not look empty, I decided to make one for the hell of it.
This is an example of what in saying:
The original artwork for dancer looked like a dead lizard IMO, so I made a different version of it: (Early WIP)

I frequently saved a copy of this as I progressed, showing how I did it. If anyone wants to see it, just ask.

I'll keep working on mine every once in a while. If anyone here has the wits or the balls to try this, go ahead.

LastingDawn

May 09, 2009, 04:01:08 am #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Wow, interesting concept, this is exactly what they did for... the majority of FFT's characters (where is the missing Fagarion official art!) I mean... even Funeral gets official art! Don't get me wrong, I love the guy and everything, but did he really deserve to be the King of Diamonds?
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Cheetah

May 09, 2009, 04:06:24 am #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
This a freaking awesome idea. I might just try just for the chance to better my spriting, I am getting sooo rusty and I barely had any skills to begin with.
Current Projects:

Xifanie

May 09, 2009, 09:00:16 am #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
I'm definitely gonna do this, if you say it increases skills fast, I'm totally in.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

jimmyjw88

May 09, 2009, 11:58:45 am #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by jimmyjw88
Wow....This is awesome.
Hmm...increase spriting skills?
That's something I want to do with my current skill.
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Xifanie

May 09, 2009, 05:23:13 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
Yeah I know, it sucks

However if I take for word what Smash said, the next one should be a lot better.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)

Cheetah

May 09, 2009, 05:50:24 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Definitely a good start Zodiac. Don't think you could have made a better choice in subjects either haha.
Current Projects:

Smash

May 09, 2009, 06:02:05 pm #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Smash
This was fast.

Kanbabrif looks like it's on the easy side though; too plain.
It would need some more height and an outline.

Some good ones to make would be Ramza, female monk, male squire, female archer, male thief, Rafa, and maybe the dragoons; for their difficulty level.

Xifanie

May 09, 2009, 06:06:15 pm #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
Fast? not really; it took me 2-3 hours.
And an outline? Not black though, it would look too much like drawing which isn't what spriting is! :O

Don't you have a final version of your dancer anyway?

Smash

May 09, 2009, 06:34:48 pm #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Smash
Well, it needs an outline to go with the mug. Not black, but mostly it's a darker shade of the regular color on it.
Take the portraits, for example. For almost every face, you have a darker skin tone as outline; for the hair and clothes it's the same. It's a manner of style anyway.

This is actually pixel art, it's like spriting on a grand scale, and feels pretty much like drawing.

As for mine, it's gonna take some time. I spent like 2 days getting the body to look right, and I only finished the basic shapes.
I could say im just starting to work on it.

Oblivion

May 11, 2009, 11:38:11 am #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by ehrgeiz20
this is a good idea.
i will try to do this.
that's a good start zodiac.
"A little sport before dying, dear boy?"

Mobius

I just got carried away

EDIT: Wow, It's amazing to observe how much my old pixels used to suck and one would not realize.

Now everyone sit down, relax and have a good damned cup of tea.
Then go out into the forest and see the stars.

Then come back and realize it's pointless to be so worked up over what's meant to be our hobby.
That should be my motto here, holy s

jimmyjw88

*opening my mouth with a big jaw drop*

I hate you Smash!

*jokes aside*

I actually was planning to take on this previously when I bumped into this thread.
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Mobius

You mean to say you were thinking of making the exact same Knight?

:shock:

Then come back and realize it's pointless to be so worked up over what's meant to be our hobby.

jimmyjw88

Nah, not the knight but the challenge. But start off with those with simpler pose :)

Mobius

Ah, that's good.

Before you start, this last one I made follows official FFT artwork proportions and anatomy to the letter. They should all be around that same height, so, can use as ref.

Are you still using the old FFT Dropbox?

Lijj

I never saw this thread before..
neat stuff.

jimmyjw88

Mobius ~ That's great! It would definitely help me a lot to get started and learn. I'm sorry but what do you mean?

Lijj ~ it'd been pushed to the back page from all the new threads.

Mobius

Quote from: jimmyjw88 on February 03, 2013, 06:42:51 pm
Mobius ~ That's great! It would definitely help me a lot to get started and learn. I'm sorry but what do you mean?

Lijj ~ it'd been pushed to the back page from all the new threads.

I sent you the guidelines in pm Jim.

This is exactly like drawing a portrait, only there's alot more to fill on. Wonderful to practice cloth shading as there'll be plenty of places in the character's bodies to experiment textures and such.

And it's freaking fun.

Closely following the artwork; decided an estutcheon would fit nicely with the pose.

jimmyjw88

Thanks man! I'll definitely check it out.

Yea, it's just like portrait but in bigger scale and more challenging. And yes, totally agree with you. Excellent and fun way to practice and experiment.

Hah, she's getting juicier.