• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 01:14:16 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Changing Sprite to 8-bit Color

Started by Snap006, September 08, 2014, 12:40:31 pm

Snap006

I was trying to change the lulu sprite to 8-bit color using graphics gale that is in this thread:

http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=3773.msg91178#msg91178

When it is converted the colors get messed up. I know it is probably using to many colors to convert to 8-bit, but I just wanted to see if anyone knows anyway to get around this. Thanks.

Angel

... it's a JPEG file, so it's going to be FUBAR no matter what.

Note: this is not a proper palette, just the best I could manage with minimal effort.
  • Modding version: PSX
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Snap006

Thanks for the response. That's the same colors I was getting. If I'm understanding right, going from jpeg to bmp is part of the problem.

Elric

September 08, 2014, 08:53:20 pm #3 Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 10:02:06 pm by Elric
Luckily I'm a hoarder, and have the original from going through the forum long ago.

You'll have to save it back as a BMP as this is PNG.
You never want to try a sprite as a JPEG, it destroys the colors and palette.

Here ya go:
(The sprite itself isn't great with the hair going over the eyes, also I'm fairly certain it's TYPE2, so make sure to adjust Shishi for this)
EDIT: Updated to the current Shishi format, tested and working fine in Shishi

Lijj

Snap006

One more question. I added a portrait and all the colors and everything looks fine, but when I import it in shishi it shows up ass all black. There is a check box and when I uncheck it the portrait shows up. Can someone explain why that is happening? Thanks.

Angel

Did you set the palette for the portrait on its own?

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame

Snap006

I believe I did. I copied the portrait from another file and put in on the sprite sheet. All the colors mach up though.

Angel

Sounds like a no. Please refer to this thread for how to add a portrait to a sprite sheet.

Snap006

Thanks! That was exactly my problem. I didn't even realize you could do that with graphicsgale.

Angel

No problem. And yeah, GraphicsGale is really awesome for setting up palettes. Well, it's awesome for a lot of things, but I'm still stuck in my Photoshop ways...

Kagebunji

• Modding version: Other/Unknown