• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 02:37:16 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Lord Indoril Nerevar [Finished]

Started by A Blood Red Fox, August 03, 2014, 05:22:03 pm

A Blood Red Fox

August 03, 2014, 05:22:03 pm Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 07:41:06 am by Fox
He's nearly done... though I'm having a bit of trouble with the frames for when he's in the process of casting a spell. His face goes all weird. Still have to adjust his skin color too.

I'm interested in any suggestions on how to improve the sprite, and any tips regarding the spellcasting frames.

[Update]: The Sprite is pretty much done now. It has two versions... a normal skin tone and a more orangish\goldish one.

Jumza

Wow :o nice job! The port could use a tweak but I really like the sprite :)

If you're having trouble with the face of the casting animation's mouth, check out those two little face snippits on the right side of the sheet, the top one I believe is supposed to be mouth movements while a character is 'chanting' a spell. Try adjusting that and see if it helps.
  • Modding version: PSX
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

A Blood Red Fox

August 16, 2014, 03:52:15 am #2 Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 06:22:29 am by Fox
I cleaned up the portrait a bit. Look better?

Edit: I also applied a quick fix for the problem with the spellcasting frame in the spritesheet I have posted. I haven't replaced the portrait though.

Jumza

It's too bad none of the spriters have replied to you, they would be much better help than myself, since I do very little in spriting, but I'll try my best anyway :P

The casting face looks better, but instead of opening his mouth for the spell, it looks like he's squinting, I'd say try copying something like Ramza's mouth animation for that.

The portrait is better also, though that line under his eye doesn't look great. I understand where you might be trying to go with that, and I unfortunately can't give any advice on fixing it, and I can't say copy it from another sprite since no one else really has that... I'd remove it, maybe get help adding it in again later.

I hope you continue to make sprites, this is really good especially for your first one, and we don't have many spriters doing stuff atm :)
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

A Blood Red Fox

I've managed to fix the casting... mostly. When Ramza is facing in one direction it looks fine... but I noticed that if I rotate the camera, suddenly it looks odd. I can't figure out what is causing it. I took pictures:

Jumza

It's possible that your emulator isn't displaying the game in the resolution it was intended for, which could cause graphical errors.

http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=8217.msg187008#msg187008

Here the games proper resolution is explained, and if you want the game to be pixel perfect there is also a post about that in the topic.

A Blood Red Fox

Using the same settings and plugin shown in Lijj's post, I'm still getting the same issue.

Elric

Try using a different emulator like pSX and see if you still get the error.

A Blood Red Fox

A Blood Red Fox

I'm going to go ahead and call this sprite done. Doesn't mean it won't ever get updated but I don't think this needs to be labelled WIP anymore. Can I get the title changed?

Jumza

You can edit the title yourself by editing the first post in the topic :)

Lijj

Good to see a full sheet done! The sprite itself is really good; the portrait isn't bad but isn't perfectly matching FFT's style.
Sorry that none of the veteran spriters really post here lately >_>.

A Blood Red Fox

I've made the formation sprite and portrait for the latter version of the sprite.