• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Knight with long hair (first sprite)

Started by Kurosabes, June 16, 2014, 04:18:35 am

Kurosabes

June 16, 2014, 04:18:35 am Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 09:04:22 pm by White Knight Wiegraf
I'm working on a generic Knight with long hair. I've only been working on the portrait since I figured this was the hardest part, and this is the result so far. No huge change from the original portrait, but I guess there's a start to everything. There are two versions, the one with side by side comparaison is the most recent one. The standalone is my first version.

Update: Added some more portraits and compiled them together.

Update 2: Added first sprite concept.

Update 3: Updated the sprites (mostly changed the cape symbol)

Update 4: Here's the knight in walking animation. Let me know what you think.

I'm aware of the hood still being here. Just want feedback on the hair.

Don't mind that white bar randomly appearing at the bottom...
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Kurosabes#0312

Celdia

Interesting idea. I expect the spriters to call you out on pillow shading and then they'll redirect you to this: http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11299

Have you got a sprite concept to go with it or just the portrait so far?
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

Kurosabes

There's nothing but the portrait right now. It was actually a fairly random idea to get some practice. My original intent was to make a Fou-Lu sprite, but I've got sidetracked and here I am making a Knight portrait. But I'll definitely go through and make sprites as well once the portrait looks good enough. Maybe someone down the road will actually use this when it's completed.

The link will probably help me out as well. I have some basic understanding of pixel art, but complex art like hair is something I've never really worked on.

Kurosabes

June 16, 2014, 06:06:03 am #3 Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 06:11:45 am by White Knight Wiegraf
Ok, here's another portrait before I head to sleep.

Two actually. v3.0 actually was made before v3 (which should have been named v4)

Kurosabes

June 16, 2014, 05:40:35 pm #4 Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 04:47:16 am by White Knight Wiegraf
I can't seem to get it right... but here's one more. I'll start working on the sprites now and focus more on the portrait later.

Update 20 June: The sprites are more difficult than I anticipated... I have to re-shade the upper parts of the cape to get rid of the hood (since the hair covers it anyway). The attack sprites in particular are troublesome, it's hard to tell where the hair is going to darken the cape (shadow) because the sprites are partial. The body is there, but the head is somewhere else, and it's partial as well. It's also hard to tell which one is linked with which. I feel that I'm not really good at this or I'm just really overcomplicating things. I could have just taken the female knight's head, paste it and do some tweaks. I'm sure that anyone else would be long finished by now.

21 June: Ok, figured out that Shishi shows which images are linked. On the frame window, there's lots of empty black space so I figured you could zoom on the sprite. Doesn't seem like it though, and I have zero programming knowledge, so I don't know how to add my own zoom option in. Anyway, I can use the windows magnifying glass, that will do.