• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 18, 2024, 11:49:40 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Artorias the Abysswalker Portrait

Started by TobiasVX, May 31, 2014, 03:20:21 pm

TobiasVX

Im currently making a custom/fully scratched portrait for Artorias from dark souls and I wanted opinions on how I go through it. This is what I have so far and the source image:

I currently have it set to png since im not sure how to keep the current color quality when changing it to bitmap. Right now Im wanting to know if you all think the colors will work (the lighter grays and blue color are for the lettering stitched into Artorias' cloak) or if they need to be changed and from which sprites I should get those colors from (all current colors are from pre-existing sprites that are either vanilla or custom) as well as a bit of help with the lighting. (can tell which direction its coming from but i have a bad habit of either screwing it up with the detail lines or pillow shading. Be warned I am a relatively unskilled spriter (this is my first fully scratched work; mostly done recolors and minor edits and that was with megaman Z and ZX sprites) Any advice given is welcomed and appreciated.

Jumza

I can't really help with much here, but it looks pretty good so far. Maybe post your work in something closer to double that size though, it's a little hard to see when it's so small.
  • Modding version: PSX
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

TobiasVX

Hows this

Need help with the ponytail bit since i want a few light streaks to be going through it. actually now that i look at it it doesnt look very fft-ish...meh if anyone wants to take a stab at making more fitting to the game knock yourself out or please give advice on how to make it more fft-ish. (as i said in the previous post nost of my experience is in recoloring and minor edits not scratching)

TobiasVX

Sorry for the double-post but I was board and ended up churning out some more portrait progress

Dragoon portrait is credited to Twinees and the Sentinel portrait is credited to DeadManWalking. The other scratch portrait was an experiment and I included the image it was based on. (the glowing eye thing was my personal touch just to see how it looked) I am now stuck on how to reformat the helmet to match Artorias' at least somewhat (seriously that thing is a bitch to sprite) while maintaining the fft style rather than the 16 bit original one i churned out earlier. (it looks nice but I dont really want to use it for a hack/patch/mod since it wouldnt fit with the other portraits) again any help or advice is appreciated.

jimmyjw88

May 31, 2014, 11:27:16 pm #4 Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 12:56:23 am by jimmyjw88
This is tough and challenging one. Hmmm....

EDIT: Maybe this could be something for you to work with:

Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

TobiasVX

thats pretty good, but unfortunately I need it as a 32x48 pixel image since I want to put it into the game.

Kagebunji

Just crop it down Tobias. Jimmy just made the sketch. It's a challenging portrait, good luck with it :)
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

TobiasVX

Kage, I would do that and I would love to use jimmy's posted image as the portrait but if i crop it down to the correct size for the in game portraits it looks horrible and squished. I appreciate that jimmyjw88 took the time to make that in order to help but I cant use it as a portrait. (I will probably use it as my avatar after I get it colored tho)

However I have decided to not make the portrait fully scratched anymore.

and for those who cant see in Imageshack:

This is what Ive got now. Credit goes to Twinees for the custom Dragoon part that I used for part of the helmet the rest is from the vanilla dragoon since I just noticed that with a little tweaking the helmet could easily be reworked into Artorias'. (Its not going to be really detailed yet if ever, because if I detail it either its going to look bad or Im going to go even more insane; I am already certifiably insane by my friends and family) Tell me what you think and as always advice and any help given is appreciated.

jimmyjw88

Hmm, I'm not too sure how cropping it would make it look "squished" but I guess probably its because it is still in sketch stage with many lines, hence giving such perception. I'll try my best to polish this.

And yes, for starters, don't start with scratch, especially if you haven't grasp the fft-ish style yet. Copy/paste from existing and reference a lot to get better.
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Seushiro

I still hope to see Jimmy's or your sketch attempts TobiasVX. I am always a fan of the try and risk it phase.... Majority of spriters started without basics like me and was able to learn from it. Let us face it even if we just cut, paste and edit for portraits  then it won't totally reach the peak of awesomeness it deserves. SKETCHES NEED TO BE DONE

Kagebunji

June 02, 2014, 05:27:19 am #10 Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 05:33:49 am by Kagebunji
This is all you needed to do when I said crop it down. There are no squishy lines or naything here. I think you misunderstood the crop down part, is all. Still, it's up to you how you gonna approach the portrait :)

And cool spriting attempt Seushiro. I find the helmet a little too big compared to the body, but that's all.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

TobiasVX

@ Kagebunji: Ah, thank you for clearing that up. However, I still wont be able to use it as the in game portrait. (this is due to lack of skill in this style of spriting)

@ Seushiro: HMFS!!! I would use that (specifically the first model but with the third models eyeless helmet) as the unit sprite hands down. Would you be open to working on this together? (I know you must have your own projects to work on atm) If not then may I have permission to use your Judge sprite to work on it on my own? As to your comment on sketches I wholeheartedly agree, my only problem is that I am just starting in this style of spriting so dont expect to see any more fully scratched/sketched work from me all that soon.

Now as to my current progress, here it is:

Same crediting as in the last post but with the vanilla black mage and squire added in. The cloak part isn't done yet but I am unsure as to how to go about finishing it. (Im shit at shading cloth, sue me) If any of you can think of something feel free to edit it or just circle what you think I should fix/edit and how. (show with an image since I may misinterpret like I did with Kagebunjin's first post) As always help and advice is greatly appreciated

Seushiro

Are you sure you are a beginner at spriting? Cause that shading and depth is just Dammmmmn Good (way beyond my level)!!!!! Carry On with sketching that thing up you have Twinees like potential. For the sprites feel free to use the Judge as reference I am willing to provide edits here in your thread as needed (especially since the Judge has no cape-less back view).

TobiasVX

Ive done some spriting before, but it was all in Megaman Z and ZX/ZXA style on the original Sprites-INC forum where my user name was Hellfire Covenant. most of my work form there is no longer on my computer if any but I mostly did minor/half edits with zero (the number) mugshot/portrait edits.

This is the last thing I worked on before I took a break (read as became busy with new games and schooling)

Model O.R.I.G.I.N.

basically a Zero prototype design that was stolen by Dr. Wily and was never activated until the events just before ZXA. (forgot the exact backstory and dont have my written notes on hand right now but thats the gist of it)

Seushiro

Nice well I came from a similar background except I edited sprites for M.U.G.E.N. and well being clean with pixels was not an issue there as things were bigger. Now it is minimal colors and low saturation ahaha. I hope you make a Zero sprite here as well for the forums.

TobiasVX

June 02, 2014, 01:05:44 pm #15 Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 01:15:06 pm by TobiasVX
I may end up doing that as my next project though Id prefer to work with someone on it. I dont have the...mental fortitude shall we say, to work on it on my own and get it out within a year. this is due to me job hunting to the point im almost whoring myself out. (figuratively) As it stands Im lucky the owner of the house Im living in currently hasnt kicked my as out since im pretty much freeloading outside of doing chores around the house. :(

btw are you going to continue on your original armored chocobo or are you going to drop it in favor of the new design you got form the MOAR monsters topic. (merely curious, I have no intentions to do monster sprites at this time or in the un/forseeable future) Also, when you have the time could you either post directional heads for Artorias or pm them to me. (again only when you have the time to do this. I am relatively confident on being able to make the body correctly, and if not...well its obvious ill post it here in order to get help)

Seushiro

June 03, 2014, 04:58:27 am #16 Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 12:38:47 pm by Seushiro
I will use the new design for the chocobo i found in that thread. The chocobo in FFT uses its wings and flys around so finding a design that does not cover up the wings works well for me and the game.

EDIT: Hope you can work with these and improve them. Made the helmet a tad smaller like Kage suggested (smaller than lancers but looking proportional)