• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 02:36:36 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Valk's Projects: 2021 update (Trance) Terra, Fran, Main Vagrant Story cast +more

Started by Valkirst, May 23, 2014, 03:27:56 pm

Valkirst

It's 2021 and I've updated the colors to some of the sprites and portraits. I, unfortunately, could not upload all of the BoF sprites onto the front page so check the latest page 17 for those including Rei and Katt. I want to thank everyone that helped especially Twinees who help with the Trance Terra portrait! Working on Teepo so stay tuned for that next!
  • Modding version: PSX
Completed Sprites
  • Discord username: Valkirst

Lijj

Not bad! Looks like some of the colors could use a bit more value separation.. like the reds on Terra. They seem too close to the same value, so the depth is a little lost there. Lighten the lighter colors. Also their eyes both look weird; Fran's because the white of the eyes is too dark and Terra's because of the color used for the iris/pupils is too light.

Valkirst

Thank you, will definitely play around some more. I just modified a Fran portrait, updating my last thread.
Completed Sprites

Seushiro

That Fran looks good! For Terra I suggest looking into the different fleshes used from sprites. The ones you used look so close to each other. For that Green hair I suggest looking for other shades (perhaps a tad darker but not as dark as the thiefs' Maybe Izludes?) that will blend in with the grass area stages something which Kagebunji experienced with his Rydia aeons ago.

Valkirst

I'll go darker with Terra on the hair, right now her lair looks radiant in Mandalia Plains, but it doesn't seems like it will be an issue. As for the darkening of the red you were totally right, changed it up and the depth came out a lot more.
Completed Sprites

Angel

There seems to be a bit of inconsistency in the volume of the hair on both of them. Otherwise, I have to say that they're pretty freaking awesome. For a first attempt, you have the makings of a brilliant spriter, for sure. Keep it up! You're gonna do good things.
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Valkirst

June 03, 2014, 02:51:24 pm #6 Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 09:42:42 pm by Valkirst
So here is a spritesheet for Terra, it is my first very near "Comlpeted" Sprite it was I guess simple enough modifying Valmafra, though I am sure it needs work, so Haaaaaaallllpppp Meeeee... :3
Completed Sprites

Angel

Cape can stand a bit more consistency - compare its width with front facing vs back facing. And while it's not a bad thing to start with Balmafula as a base, the ponytail is a bit too similar. I'd lower it a bit and fill it out some, while making it not swing so far outward from her back.

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame

Valkirst

How is this Toshiko? The picture is my inspiration for her.
Completed Sprites

Angel

Excellent! The side view ponytail is both a little too high and overly full, but the other four are a brilliant improvement! Awesome awesome, keep it up!

Celdia

This is really good for a first attempt. Gods know we've seen MUCH worse from new spriters. If this is the level of quality you're starting at then I have high hopes for your work in the future. That said...I really like the changes you've got going with the ponytail but the hair ribbon seems like it's a bit much for some reason. On the diagonal and side facing frames it feels like it is sitting too high above the hair to look good and on the front and back facing frames it just plain looks too big. Also, while I can see there wasn't much change to the dress itself [though the sash is nicely done] there are a few too many pixels of the bright red it seems like that is giving her a flat feeling on the first two frames. Maybe it's just the intensity of the red you chose compared to Balmafula's browns but it looks like that could be made to look better with just a couple pixels put into the mid and shadow tones at the right spots, specifically where the skirt covers the sash. I'm no spriter, but I did try a quick edit of it while typing this up. Feel free to use or discard my changes as you like.
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

Valkirst

June 04, 2014, 07:14:20 pm #11 Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 07:26:55 pm by Valkirst
Yeah, thank you both for your compliments. I actually was looking at the skirt just now and it started to bother me. I did think the bow was too high or big, so here is a rework. The one in the left is mine and the one on the right is what you recommended Celia. I definitely worked with what you suggested but figured I would add a little more... what do you guys think if I made her a pixel taller on the legs? I feel like that might make her too tall...
Completed Sprites

Valkirst

I also ended up playing with the intensity of the red, and yeah, looks a lot better! 
Completed Sprites

Celdia

I like the changes. They're subtle but effective. Stick with her current height. Terra doesn't need to be overtall.
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

Seushiro

You are progressing well. My only suggestion would be to change her eyes to match the rest of the other characters. Balmafula has only one pupil colored while the rest have both eyes.... Also due to lack of a darker white I guess they gave her a blue highlight which is also bad.... So just fix that. Here is a bit minor but I also noticed the under of the neck has gone way to dark and this is bare skin so i sketched some suggestions.

1. Your version with eyes and neck shadings fixed

2. Rechosen reds from Larg or Delita can't remember with eyes and neck fix

3. Rechosen reds, overhauled face with bangs over the eyes with shadows, your current green hair and pointed shoes like your reference. You may take the earrings off if you like.....

Angel

Valkirst

June 05, 2014, 07:33:43 pm #16 Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 08:10:13 pm by Valkirst
Okay so I added the shoe thingy, (can be removed) I thinned out her hair and made it more wild, I used the neck coloring, added an earring (can be removed) thinned out the bow and made the heel a bit more pronounced... I also used the 'left bang' (our right) of Seushiro's number three to give her a little more wildness and modified it a bit.
Completed Sprites

Valkirst

June 05, 2014, 07:38:37 pm #17 Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 08:10:28 pm by Valkirst
Not sure about the thinner hair, just an idea to throw out there. I also flirted with the idea of adding the purple flowers by using the medium pink I have... annd I am not too sure about it.
Completed Sprites

Angel

The very first one on the far left is definitely the most authentically Terra. As much as I liked the fuller hair (and the way you twisted the ponytail around), I have to say that one is most certainly my favorite so far. Totally suits her. Second from the right's hair color is just too flat. Rightmost... sorry, that's just... no. All sorts of no. Too much no to want to detail why.

Seushiro

I would go with the first but those random light pink pixels will haunt you when they float up ingame. Better keep the dress simple and remove the flower decorations (random spotting) cause they will not come out right in such a small sprite.