• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 12:37:00 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

IronArm's Sprites

Started by IronArm, December 22, 2013, 05:58:08 pm

IronArm

December 22, 2013, 05:58:08 pm Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 07:30:55 pm by IronArm
Not quite the finished product yet. Still need to do some details on the portrait and some minor finishing touches on the sprite. I'm currently working on a two more that I will have up.
I have tested this one out in game in about 80% of all the situations the sprite could be in and it has been working fine, other than some of the finishing touches that will be put on him shortly.

Charcter's name is Brasdefer. Details on the character can be seen on my DA account

Brasdefer La'Noue

Two new characters:

Godfrey La'Noue

Rachael Niven

Elric

I'm not a spriter so I cannot offer much in the way of crits. They do look nice, but the white background vs. black
makes them a tad harder for me to see.

Keep up the good work and one of the spriters will show up eventually and give you some praise and crits.

Oh and THANK YOU FOR USING THE EDIT BUTTON!!! YOU HAVE RESTORED MY FAITH IN NEWCOMERS!!
  • Modding version: PSX

Jumza

Quote from: Elric on December 27, 2013, 08:24:20 pm
I'm not a spriter so I cannot offer much in the way of crits. They do look nice, but the white background vs. black
makes them a tad harder for me to see.

The same, they look very cool but change that background color!

Quote from: Elric on December 27, 2013, 08:24:20 pm
Oh and THANK YOU FOR USING THE EDIT BUTTON!!! YOU HAVE RESTORED MY FAITH IN NEWCOMERS!!

Also this :P You may actually be the first and you should get some sort of prize for it XD
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Kagebunji

Weome to the site, IronArm. It's nice seeing someone who has experience in spriting show up, heh.

As Elric and Jumza mentioned, please post the sprites in black background, it's easier to view that way. As to the sprites themselves, I like the portraits, especially Godfrey, these are some fine examples of how easily you can frankensprite a nice portrait. Only complaint I have is that armor on Brasdefer is flat, you should go for a more defined shape and shade it properly, right now it doesn't really rsemble an armor. I like the Rachael sprite btw, looks very nice.

God job on these, and we are looking forward for more! :)
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

IronArm

December 30, 2013, 08:02:04 pm #4 Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 08:28:46 pm by IronArm
Thank you for the feedback! Its exactly what I was looking for. I've updated the pictures with the black background, so should be easier for people to see. Apologizes for that, to me the white is easier to see ha.

Right now, I'm trying to take it slow and start with portraits already in the game and slowly editing them into my own creation (i.e Brasdefer's portrait armor). I hadn't noticed about the armor till you mentioned it. I'll probably start working on that now.

One thing I will mention is Brasdefer is based off a real person, and while I'd like to customize him more, the hair and beard are almost exactly what it looked like in real life. I may do some small alterations, but for the most part he is complete.

Godfrey will be losing the hair for a more shaved hair look, but I'm still working on getting the length right.

Rachael's portrait armor will be changed to actually match the sprite more accurately and I'll be customizing the hair and possibly be changing it up completely.

In the future I hope to make some events with these sprites. I have been testing out the classes I've designed for Brasdefer and Godfrey to make sure they are balanced.

Anymore feedback would be appreciated and tips/ideas on what could be done to make the characters look more unique.

Thanks and I look forward to becoming more involved in this community!

Edit:

Kagebunji,

Is this a step in the right direction?

Kagebunji

Hey man, I hope you don't mind, but I went ahead and edited the sprite a little bit. Once I looked closer, I noticed hair lacked highlight and depth, so I added that in. Also made an example of a shaded armor, though the shape is not triangular, like what you were going for(I think you were?). Feel free to use this, ditch it, or perhaps get the picture of what to do(I recommend leaving the hair though, highlights are pretty neccesarry here). Good luck!

Jumza

The colors are quite saturated :o
The skin is fine, but the armor, hair and cape seem to be a bit much to me.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

IronArm

Jumza: The colors are still a work in progress. I change them up and run a few test battles to see how it looks, but I agree with you on most parts. The cape has already been fixed and I'm about to start working on the hair.

Kagebunji: When you were talking about changing the armor I thought you meant on the portrait and not the sprite, so I actually didn't change anything on the sprite. Now looking at the hair with highlights I will definitely be adding them. I'll play around with the armor more and see what I can come up with. While what you did looks great, it seems more fitted and that is not what I was envisioning when coming up with the character.

Thank you both for the feedback. 

Diethe

For now, the safest way to do colors would be using colors either FFT or people here have made, heh. Apart from that, aye I agree. You're doing some neat uniques.
  • Discord username: Diethe

IronArm

Diethe: That is what I usually do. The one that is uploaded now isn't current, it was when I was testing out different colors to see how it would work. I'm still working on the shading of Brasdefer's armor to give it more depth and give off the appearance that I was going for. I'm so happy to see another HoI spriter here though! I wish we could get the old spriters all together again.

Really appreciate all the feedback I am getting. Its forcing me to get better and better.

azavier

can you post the download for rachael please ? i love her !

Jumza

You can just right click, save image as... I think.

azavier

no i thought it has to be in spr or bmp?

Jumza

Ah, it's a png. Sorry I didn't notice that.

Celdia

Save the PNG, open it in GraphicsGale and save it as a BMP.
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

IronArm

I'll be uploading a bmp file by Sunday. I am finishing some details on her (fixing a few sprite issues, and making the portrait completely original).

The portrait will still look very much like it does now, but it will be all original. The sprite has a few errors that I'd like to fix before I load a bmp file.

Thank you! I'm glad you like her. I'm trying some things with the other two characters and i'll be uploading them by the end of the weekend.

Elric

A lot of times uploading a BMP will derp the file depending on where you upload it, it might get turned into a JPG
which is useless. It's really better to upload as a PNG and then let people save it as a BMP in GraphicsGale, as
Celdia mentioned.

Teapott

Wow, that's pretty good, I really liked the sprites, but may I say, the 1st one, I THINK that the blue is kinda of too much strong, maybe you could put it a little more grayish... When I get home, I'll try to make a palette for you, is that ok? <3 :mrgreen:
Seeker of the Cosmos

IronArm

I've changed the blue and updated all three sprites, but Brasdefer and Rachael's are the only ones I'm ready to post. I'd still love to see the palette though! Since its easier to just convert from a png. I'll just be uploading them as png. files.

Brasdefer v2.3

Rachael v2.1 and v2.12

Notes: Both are not all original. Brasdefer is closer to a finished product than Rachael is. I did two versions of Rachael because one has the lighter hair option (v2.1), but to add the scarf of a normal Temple Knight (v2.12) I had to replace the lighter yellow for a white to make a better looking scarf. Over the next week I'll be making edits to improve the shading and coloring of Rachael's portrait, finishing Godfrey's sprite (portrait is my avy), and making a full armor suit for Brasdefer.

Elric

Well done! I especially like Brasdefer