• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 08:17:24 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

FFTA turn order variable storage

Started by forks, March 29, 2016, 02:03:59 pm

forks

I'm wondering if anyone happens to know where in memory the turn order variables (termed "Counter" and "Reserve" in TFergusson's invaluable FFTA Mechanics Guide) are stored.

I've been trying to recreate FFTA's turn order mechanics under the guidance of the aforementioned guide, but I'm finding that the algorithm described therein doesn't perfectly replicate the turn order produced in-game. If I can track each unit's Counter/Reserve values over the course of an engagement, I can compare them against my own tables and hopefully see where I've gone wrong. I realize most FFTA hacking probably doesn't involve messing with the turn order mechanics much, so this is kind of a longshot, but I'm hoping somebody's at least stumbled across the relevant information in their, y'know, explorations.

Thanks in advance.

bcrobert

No idea. Have you tried looking for the moment that a specific unit's speed is added to an unknown value (the counter) in real time with an emulator? That's the only thing I would really think to do, given how over-simplified the mechanic is. Sorry that I don't have anything useful to say. :/
My FFTA hacking tools: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=9559.0

Believe it or not, I'm still working on this game.

forks

Yeah, actually, that's what I tried to do. The problem is that I'm not sure where I'd find that counter. I dug around WRAM and IRAM (I don't have a clear understanding of the difference; if I did it'd probably halve my search area) in VBA's memory viewer, but they're both so enormous and so full of changing variables, I quickly abandoned hope of finding my needles in that haystack. The disassembler, too, seemed momentarily promising, but there, too, there were just too many numbers to sort through without any sense of where or how I should be looking. It wouldn't be impossible for me to figure out through brute force, I think, but the problem I need this information for isn't serious enough to justify the gargantuan effort.

This one might be a wash. But I appreciate you trying.

dck

I don't know about the specifics of turn order, but I remember the guide describes quickness as setting your reserve at 4096. Unfortunately it doesn't simultaneously modify counter since it sets a byte to force next turn, but there's the delay effect from suffocate which does reduce counter to zero.

I'm not sure if this would help thin down the possible values to keep track of, but it seems a skill that hits every unit on the field with delay and quickness might be of good use to force known values on both of those and find out which is which.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
  • Discord username: adri#1824

forks

Holy hell, that's brilliant. I could probably craft such a skill with Darthatron's All In One editor, eh? I'll give it a shot, although probably not for a little while. I'll report back when I do. Thanks!

dck

Yeah, just set to whole map targeting and quickness + effect 1 dependent delay, should apply them every time.
good luck!
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
  • Discord username: adri#1824