• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:15:34 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

FFTA: Revisited 2.0 Beta

Started by rrs_kai, September 21, 2014, 02:20:39 pm

dck

Hi, I'm curious about what bcrobert covers in this post, have you confirmed that adding that fourth effect is recognized when using the skill? I'm wondering because as far as I can tell there are no vanilla abilities that use four effects, and in my attempts both with AIO and the nightmare modules the effect never seems to trigger at all.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
  • Discord username: adri#1824

rrs_kai

Quote from: drownduck on January 28, 2016, 09:38:58 pm
ok so i downloaded the NUPS from the original website
and tried to apply the patch
the process was aborted then i got this message:

"the patch doesn't match the file. patching canceled."

wtf???

do i have to convert your patch file to .ups format or what? because it's (FFTA_My-hack-0.85.rar ) a .rar

I'm a noobie at this, please explain the the step by step for me.
would love to play your hack

-1-Extract the rar file with a software like winrar.
-2-Use NUPS and click "apply an UPS patch to a flie".
File to patch - Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (US) rom
UPS patch - choose the included .ups file
-3-Click "patch" and its done :)

bcrobert

Quote from: dck on February 01, 2016, 08:21:37 pm
Hi, I'm curious about what bcrobert covers in this post, have you confirmed that adding that fourth effect is recognized when using the skill? I'm wondering because as far as I can tell there are no vanilla abilities that use four effects, and in my attempts both with AIO and the nightmare modules the effect never seems to trigger at all.

Oh. I never actually created any 4-slot abilities, come to think of it. If the 4th slot is actually not an effect slot, then it would explain why "Hunting" randomly has a value of 0xA set to it. Perhaps it's actually a value that decides how many judge points you get upon killing a unit with that skill? (Hunting=10, all else=1)

The fastest way to double-check this byte's utility would probably be to test the effects of the byte in-game. It's always possible that we overlooked something since that particular structure was deciphered back when we were constantly breaking new ground.
My FFTA hacking tools: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=9559.0

Believe it or not, I'm still working on this game.

dck

So good to hear of this, it can be a decent difference designing skills on a 3 effect limit compared to four. I tested my own and other 4th effects in-game, but when the didn't work I kept thinking maybe I was overlooking something basic regarding the implementation of that fourth effect, and limiting skill design arbitrarily.

Looking into how changes to hunting resolve in the game, it appears that regardless of the AI condition selected or the number assigned as "fourth effect", anything in that slot always yields 10 JP. In fact assigning the hunting AI condition to skills in other slots does not seem to change anything.
Wouldn't want to further derail this though, thanks for the confirmation.
  • Discord username: adri#1824

Madeen

Heya :)

So I noticed something weird, it would seem a character under haste status is 100% vulnerable to any attack.  I mean anything is 100% accurate on them, intended?

Also what's the deal with steal:exp?  Not only you cant target allies but it steals like 2 exp?
Targetting allies would be great to train units who are currently learning skills in a class I dont want to level with.

rrs_kai

Quote from: Madeen on May 16, 2016, 01:37:49 am
Heya :)

So I noticed something weird, it would seem a character under haste status is 100% vulnerable to any attack.  I mean anything is 100% accurate on them, intended?

I did not change anything about haste. Its working normally for me.
Quote from: Madeen on May 16, 2016, 01:37:49 am
Also what's the deal with steal:exp?  Not only you cant target allies but it steals like 2 exp?
Targetting allies would be great to train units who are currently learning skills in a class I dont want to level with.

I have also not changed this, its the same as vanilla and its possible to steal a lot more exp.

Madeen

Quote from: rrs_kai on May 21, 2016, 02:09:14 am
I did not change anything about haste. Its working normally for me.I have also not changed this, its the same as vanilla and its possible to steal a lot more exp.

Hmm that's odd, maybe I should double check again...

Otherwise I'm really enjoying the hack :)  Increasing AP gains was a good move too!

It's more difficult than vanilla without being overpowered... though it tends to get easy when status land... like so far I beat pretty much anything with berserk + blind.

Maybe enemies should have more status protections?

Though I tried my first totema battle and it was really challenging, I had to back off for the time being...

Skullcrush02

Quote from: rrs_kai on January 19, 2016, 12:37:13 pm
Semi-secret characters are Eldena, Lini, Quinn, Cheney, Pallanza and LittleVili.
I changed their recruit chance with the nightmare editor and then reset to vanilla values but its not working. The only way I got it to work was to have this set to "yes" and it seems to have a 100% recruit chance; but it randomizes their names.

I think if you set Cheney 1's recruit chance to 100%, you'd have to set Cheney 2's to 0%, since the second one would be the chance to NOT get the unit, no? Each set of recruits seems to have an invalid unit at the end of its list whose chance is the EXACT percentage left over from the recruit-able units; unless you already knew that, and the problem reared its ugly head anyway...

rrs_kai

June 25, 2016, 06:56:59 am #48 Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 12:25:00 pm by rrs_kai
Quote from: Skullcrush02 on June 06, 2016, 11:16:37 am
I think if you set Cheney 1's recruit chance to 100%, you'd have to set Cheney 2's to 0%, since the second one would be the chance to NOT get the unit, no? Each set of recruits seems to have an invalid unit at the end of its list whose chance is the EXACT percentage left over from the recruit-able units; unless you already knew that, and the problem reared its ugly head anyway...

Thank you for this important piece of information.

Updated mod with a few more changes and now its 1.0 (pat on the back).

---edit---
Changed all jobs having 60% status resistance to Jobs with 4 move have 40% status resistance and jobs with 3 move have 60% status resistance.
For Nu Mou is 4move-50% 3move-70%. Concentrate is 20% normal+10% status accuracy increase.

chocolatemoose

Any updates on what changed from 0.85? I was in the middle of a run and want to know whether I should start over (or I can just use the updated file with the same save.

rrs_kai

Quote from: chocolatemoose on June 27, 2016, 10:55:55 pm
Any updates on what changed from 0.85? I was in the middle of a run and want to know whether I should start over (or I can just use the updated file with the same save.

Many mission formations. Ability changes and a few item changes and stat changes. I just tied all the loose ends from 0.85

No need to start over. If you're using an emulator then just "save state", update the ROM and use the save state to get back to your game progress.

Marche

Marche

July 26, 2016, 03:29:57 am #53 Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 10:41:04 am by Marche
Quote from: rrs_kai on July 24, 2016, 05:29:22 am
yes

I'll be playing this I guess.. Thanks!

Edit: Missing Prof Mission at the late game phase of the game seems to freeze the game.
Other than that it was hella fun!

Inzanity

January 18, 2017, 05:58:40 pm #54 Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 03:54:50 pm by Inzanity
Hey, made an account just to post here.

First off, good job on the mod. Been playing it so far (around 200 missions atm) and its really good step up from the vanilla fun.

However Ive come across a little problem. Im trying to teach my Bluemage Marche Mantra Magick, but the Skill has a 0% chance of hitting anything. I control the Rockbeast and then try different targets at different MP/HP levels, but it remains at 0% hit chance. Is that a bug? Or normal?

Im trying to 100% my Marche by making him learn every possible move in the game :P and when i checked your files, nothing suggest it was removed/Taken out (Such as Bad breath).

Edit: Also crashing/Freezing at the "Missing Professor" Quest rather late into the game. This + "bugged" mantra magic are stopping me from 100% the game, so im gonna have to put it on hold for now :/

rrs_kai

Quote from: Inzanity on January 18, 2017, 05:58:40 pm
Hey, made an account just to post here.

First off, good job on the mod. Been playing it so far (around 200 missions atm) and its really good step up from the vanilla fun.

However Ive come across a little problem. Im trying to teach my Bluemage Marche Mantra Magick, but the Skill has a 0% chance of hitting anything. I control the Rockbeast and then try different targets at different MP/HP levels, but it remains at 0% hit chance. Is that a bug? Or normal?

Im trying to 100% my Marche by making him learn every possible move in the game :P and when i checked your files, nothing suggest it was removed/Taken out (Such as Bad breath).

Edit: Also crashing/Freezing at the "Missing Professor" Quest rather late into the game. This + "bugged" mantra magic are stopping me from 100% the game, so im gonna have to put it on hold for now :/

Thank you for playing the mod. I have been away from the site for quite some time.
I will look into Matra Magic; not sure why "missing professor" is crashing though.
Again, thanks for reporting these bugs.

Inzanity

All I can tell you about the missing prof mission is that the text,  that displays when selecting it at the pub, has some weird signs at the end of the text. I can provide a picture if you want but I strongly believe that's linked to the freeze.

Thank you for looking into it :)

dreamtrain

I love how this patch reads, you didn't go down the road to make new made-up bs skills and sticked to just re-balancing the original game, would you make a similar mod for FFTA2?

rrs_kai

I have removed the file and am requesting the moderators to un-sticky this topic and also item-fix.
I had some fun, learned a few things, and its time to say good bye :).
Thank-you all.

Anonyy89

Quote from: rrs_kai on October 26, 2017, 12:29:32 pm
I have removed the file and am requesting the moderators to un-sticky this topic and also item-fix.
I had some fun, learned a few things, and its time to say good bye :).
Thank-you all.

Hey I made an account just so I can beg you to reupload the file PLS ;_;

I just finished reading the mod description and this seems like something I would REALLY enjoy playing. I hope you read this and can reupload it here or somewhere else (if only temporarily) for me pretty please with sugar on top.