• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Replace animated game sprites with 3d models?

Started by Bladegrasp1997, January 09, 2015, 11:52:55 am

Bladegrasp1997

Got it, thanks man. Does anyone have any levels they would like to be made or edited? I've seen the Alucard sprite and I'm going to try to make a few levels based on SOTN just to try and get a little more familiar with Ganesha. Thanks again for helping me.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

3lric

If you successfully find a way to make maps easily in Ganesha, then yes, I will think up some ideas, lol.
  • Modding version: PSX

Bladegrasp1997

I managed to do this in an hour.

3lric

Bladegrasp1997

August 20, 2015, 01:04:27 am #64 Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 01:11:32 am by Bladegrasp1997
Using the clone method in Ganesha. I'm familiar with other 3d programs so using the XYZ buttons was easy and made it possible to quickly place them where I wanted. I think I should have tried a different level with more objects so there would have been more to work with. I still need to try editing the levels after importing different textures for the maps. What is the biggest map that has been made? 15x15?

Xifanie

August 20, 2015, 02:07:40 am #65 Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 02:21:57 am by Xifanie
A map can support up to 255 tiles (or was it 256? I have to be misremembering) and as many elevated tiles. You can just resize the map (1x256, 16x16, 256x1; anything really), there's a function for that in Ganesha. Just remember that what you use in textures, you have to sacrifice in polygons and vice-versa. So you should always pick first a map that has just the right amount of texture files you need, because no one really knows how to edit that stuff after the fact.

And that is some damn impressive work for a first timer. I just needed to point out the restrictions first before you end up working hours on a map and not have half the polygons load in-game.

Another warning: Tiles are 28x28 right? Never have a polygon larger than that; it creates some graphical glitches at the edge of said polygons.

You're really going to have to rework that palette though :p
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Jumza

Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Bladegrasp1997

Thanks :o. I was going to replace the whole map texture using an edited one but I think setting them to the right palette would be better. I used 6x24(originally 6x12) for the map because I wanted to try to make the center and left side of the arena while keeping the 2d aspect that Sotn levels have. I don't plan on making map sizes on the 256 level, maybe just adding a little more detail to the regular maps.

3lric

keep in mind that whatever you edit (especially in a map that has random battles) on the texture, and palette, you will also have to do for every state that map has, by pressing [ ] buttons to load the other states. For texture, you can simply import the same texture into every state, but for the palette, you will need to manually enter RGB for all 16 colors in the palette for every state.

Bladegrasp1997

I guess I should just stick to editing the poly's for now then. I will try working on a few more before I start with importing textures. Is there a way to add rain or snow in Ganesha? Or is that done by event editing?

Jumza

Rain and snow are activated either using an event instruction or by using a setting in the attack.out editor. Note that whether a map has rain or snow is predetermined, and a map with snow has different levels of snowstorm, while a map without snow has different levels of thunderstorm. You can't switch it as far as I know. Maybe someone experienced could figure it out though :P
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

3lric

Snow / Rain are determined by the states of the map. Though I have no idea how to actually change them.

Event commands only activate what is already there. Same with attack.out

Bladegrasp1997

The best way to have a rain/snow mission would be to edit a level where it is already set? Like the Beowulf missions or Orbonne? Here's an update to the arena map. Now that I've gotten a better understanding of the controls in Ganesha I might use another map with more objects. Maybe one that doesn't have as many texture palettes so that importing textures would be a little easier.

Jumza

That map looks awesome dude.

Let me explain weather a bit better (maybe).

Every map has one of the two possible conditions you can activate, rain or snow (and varying degrees of that, including none which is like just sunlight), very few maps have snow (zeakden, the beowoulf ones... one or two more?) every other map without snow on the ground has rain. Even buildings. And inside the deep dungeon. The different states are very easy to activate if you want, but if it's in a building like this one, you don't need to worry about editing other states because when does it rain inside?

gatebuster202

Uh, *Drops dead, nearby priest cast Raise 2*

I'm back. Uh, damn... Bladegrasp. Wow man. That's just awesome. You rock.
Winner of the 2nd FFT Arena SCC Tourney. -Geomancers

Bladegrasp1997

So in regards to effects on the map everything is done using event instructions. Does this include animating polygons? Thanks.

3lric

Bladegrasp1997

Like when fighting Gafgarion you can step on a certain panel allowing a gate to be raised. Can poly's be scripted to move or rotate like the propeller in the Goug level? Or like the windmill when you first fight Wiegraf?

3lric

I don't know how the field/animated objects are coded, sorry. They are -ACTIVATED- via event (or attack.out). But no, the ability to do so is certainly stored in the map files themselves somewhere.

Bladegrasp1997

I'm able to see the animations when I export them to other modeling programs but have no way of adding them back to Ganesha. Here's the completed level, I still need to fix the textures but I think some of them actually look good out of place. Not sure what files need to be uploaded so I just zipped the MAP004.GNS file. If there are more files that need to be uploaded please let me know which ones.