• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 04:59:28 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Knox' Sprites etc.

Started by Knox, September 20, 2009, 10:34:38 pm

Knox

December 18, 2009, 03:58:52 pm #60 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Knox
While im working on my personal character sprite i will ask if anyone can work on the portrait for me? Its really not my strong-point and id appreaciate whatever you guys can come up with so long as the hair matches delita's  thats the only feature i really like.
If i could choose which way his looking maybe forward, out at you maybe with his head bowed or something.

I may remove the total shrine look and work on something different but for right now heres the new palette for it:

I kind of sort of want to go a whole new way with him, different colors and such, and It will take alot of time to figure out but for now this will be a version of him.

Just for reference, heres the idea of the facial characteristics im thinking of for this guy. I've always liked this character from Brigandine: Legend of Forsena, and while im not trying to clone him, his hair is essentially the same color as the one im working with and the view in which hes being portrayed kind of looking out at you but down is kind of the way i want the portrait to look.

I thought a reference would be more helpful if anyone decides to throw together a portrait for me.
  • Modding version: PSX
~Auranhiem

Knox

I know i haven't really been commiting to any one project and for that im sorry, but I am kind of a wierdo and when i feel like one isnt going to work or I'll be unhappy with it in the end i move onto another idea.

Right now I'm working on Ramza in Delita Chapter 2's armor, and If i can't get the red part to work ( its the only part not working right in shishi ) I'll just convert it to the blue, But im pretty confident the red will work once i replace the blue colors with the red ones. I have Graphics Gale now so yeah thats working out for me alot better.
Also, Mav, I still can't seem to get Portraits to load properly when i use GraphicsGale even to insert them- Is there a special feature in graphics gale i need to use to overlay the fullcolor version to make it look how it does when you export it from shishi?

Anyways, heres Ramza in Holy Knight Delita's armor, keep in mind im aware the red isn't set in properly.

OH! And also, I'm working really hard still on my custom sprite, I've got a few ideas spinning about how to make it more personalized ( outfit-wise )
Another thing is, about the Ramza Chapter 3 in Holy Knight armor, I have alot more than that done, I just uploaded the relevant parts to give you a picture of how it looks and i think it looks pretty good so far.
Graphics Gale makes everything SO much easier, thanks again Mav for suggesting it.
~Auranhiem

mav

Quote from: "Knox"Also, Mav, I still can't seem to get Portraits to load properly when i use GraphicsGale even to insert them- Is there a special feature in graphics gale i need to use to overlay the fullcolor version to make it look how it does when you export it from shishi?
First things first, is it set to the correct color depth? If so, did you make sure to copy over the palette from the portrait first? You need to save the palette of the portrait, load the palette onto the ninth slot on your sprite sheet's palette box, and then copy the portrait over. Once you save it, open up Shishi and click "Always use corresponding palette for portrait" on the right and it should work fine. When you export the BMP, it will have that funky look, but in-game it will display properly.

Knox

I thought i saw an option to save palette's one time so i could import a different one, but I can't seem to find it again.
~Auranhiem

Kagebunji

For what purpose you do this Ramza in Delita Ch2&3 armor?
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Knox

Mostly because the Ramza sprites ( In my opinion ) are the most poorly made ones in the game.
They lack the enigmatic flare of any of the others that make them so great.
Atleast 3 isn't as great as it could be, 1 is decent, he just looks fat. 2 looks a bit jumbled.
Maybe im just obsessive, but then again i do have OCD.
~Auranhiem

Jon

Probably gonna replace normal Squire with Holy Knight? I think I will download Graphics Gale, I am pretty die-hard with Photoshop, but yeah, GG sounds good if it worked for you Knox.
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

Kagebunji

You still didin't downloaded GG Jon? Oh lol, download it as fast as you can

Jon

Will do. Knox, your ideas are pretty cool actually, but try to finish some...also, for some reason the trim of gold interferes with Ramza's hair, I think? Also, change red to blue, just because Ramza looks weird in red, especially if Delita already has that color.

mav

Hmm, I'm not sure whether you're following this tutorial or not, Knox, but it has generally worked as a good guide to fixing the portraits. Step 2 shows you how to save palettes, and I know there are a couple steps that show you how to load the palettes too. It's an easy read...then again, I wrote it, so of course it's an easy read for me. Anyways, Knox, Jon, and anyone else getting used to GraphicsGale and should give it a glance before you begin.

Knox

Yeah I'll definately check out that tutorial, just haven't spent time with spriting past week or so. I'll probably check it as soon as i have the patience and time to spend fooling around.

And thanks Jon, atleast someone does LoL.
I was definately thinking about it but i over-wrote the blue colors with the gold so i could easily paste Delita's body in without having to recolor it once i got it in.
So I may have to start over which isnt a big deal since I haven't gone too far with it yet. Though in a sense I really like the red on Ramza.
I've played with it alot to be honest, the armor doesn't look right in a charcoal color, or any other color ive tried over it so I pretty much settled with the gold, as for the tunic area I haven't toyed with it much so I'll see how it looks.

Mav, always love when you post- always very helpful as well as Asmo his crits are good gives me alot to think about.
I'll post a few varieties once i get back to messing with it.

On another note, I've been thinking about doing Kain from FFIV, and i doubt i lack the ability to do this other one but I've been thinking about Asch or Luke from Tales of the Abyss. Could probably use Sephiroth as a base for the hair atleast.
We'll see, I'm a long way from it.
~Auranhiem

mav

Kain is definitely a challenging sprite. Smash started a phenomenal (and excruciatingly detailed) version of Kain a while back and Asmo worked on a couple other poses for him, as it was going to be the base for the Dragoon class in Mercenaries. Here are Kain's first four poses, if you're interested:

Anyways, mess around with the colors on your Ramza some more. I too like him in red, but he could use some variation from Delita. But if you're in the mood to work on a new sprite, whether it's Kain, Asch, or anyone else, start up soon and post your work often. Good luck.

Kagebunji

Yeah this Kain is awesome, too bad no one will finish it anytime soon :/

jimmyjw88

Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Jon

Hmmm, I wonder how Ramza in Delita armor would look if the armor was not gold but maybe a silverish color?? I mean in the whole game, I don't think any character actually wears silver colored armor (which technically in real life is far more common than something made entirely out of gold haha), and also, I only suggested you change the red tunic because it is Delita's color, but yeah, Ramza looks alright in it too I guess...also @ Mav thanks for the tutorial, it helped a bit. I am happy that GraphicsGale is at least a little similar to Photoshop. Lastly, (sorry for writing so much btw), the Kain Dragoon imo would be good for a regular Dragoon, but something looks wrong. I mean Smash's sprite is unbelievably good as always, but something strikes me inside saying that this is not Kain. I am not talking about the color...deep down in my memories of FF4, I just remember Kain differently. If I am allowed, might I take a crack at changing only slightly Smash's Kain Dragoon and posting it later? I hope Smash won't be offended...because like I said, this is actually really good ;)

mav

That Kain sprite is extremely complicated. I think it looks like Kain, but I guess I can understand why you'd feel that it needs revision. Just know that Kain would take a load of skill to work on. If you think you're up for it, go ahead.

Knox, as far as the colors go, try out the blues and silvers from Ch. 2 and 3 Ramza for your Delita/Ramza hybrid.

Jon

Done, but this is just a quick version. Hope it doesn't piss anyone off...

Edit: Oh no! I just saw a mistake on the back side view...the tail piece of armor is off...and I posted at 100% and not 2-300% xD

Smash

Hmm.. That doesn't look like my Kain, but more like a buffed up version of one of my 1st attempts

Mine was this one, for those who remember. (Based on the newest look by square)

Challenging indeed. This one pose took me hours to refine back then.

jimmyjw88

Yes, Smash's is perfect for Kain.
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Knox

Hope you don't take offense, and maybe its just the FFT style of it, but the head looks kind of wrong atleast in that view.
I couldn't do much better I don't think, but I thought I'd give my two cents.
~Auranhiem