• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Auto-Battle Innate on Certain Characters?

Started by Alaris, May 04, 2016, 12:00:10 pm

Alaris

I'm working on a Yorda-style challenge patch; I'm already modifying several things, including putting in the new character with a special job and such. 

With the Yorda-style challenge, one character (the "Priest") is set to Auto-Battle, while you control the other 4 characters, and attempt to win the battle while protecting her.  I was wondering if there was a way, short of "Berserking" or setting it at the start of each fight, to make a character/job fight automatically in every battle they are in?

I know some of the AI-Arena Patches have been doing this for a while now, but I want to do it for this single character, if possible.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, it was just a thought floating around in my head, wondering if it is possible.

Thanks.
  • Modding version: PSX

Episode 42 is out! Click above to watch!

Jumza

You could set her in the ENTD as a non controllable guest for every battle that saves/loads to/from formation! Then you wouldn't have to worry about placing her in the pre-battle prep screen everytime.
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Alaris

Not a bad idea. I'm not that versed in hacking, so if you could work with me here:

Would I need to set her up to pop in as a guest in every encounter in the game? By that I mean, would I need to go in, 1 by 1 and add her in? If so, how difficult would you say that is?

Sounds awesome if I can make it work; I'm willing to put in the effort if possible.

Jumza

Shouldn't be that hard if your goal isn't to make it a seamless transition. Lot's of battles start with events, and if you just stick her in then she'll simply be standing wherever you place her until the battle starts. You'd just go into the ENTD of every battle in the game (maybe excluding random encounters? That would be like double the work) and set her X and Y to some spot near where the team starts and check Always Present, Load Formation, Save Formation, stuff like that! Plus once you put her in once FFTPatcher has a copy option called Clone so you can just do it once then paste her in instead of changing every box manually every time. All you'd have to do is adjust her starting position.

If you need anymore help feel free to ask!
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Alaris

May 05, 2016, 10:57:25 am #4 Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 12:29:13 pm by Alaris
Well, I would ask; do we have any tutorials for doing this sort of thing?  I'm essentially a newbie at hacking; I did some modifications years ago, and recently picked up some of the tools to do some modifications here (new character, class, skillset, sprite, etc), but I wouldn't even know where to begin with doing this.

Or, if there's not a tutorial, could you give me a place to start?  I can figure it out, given enough time, but I'm a bit clueless on this. :/

EDIT: Okay, I'm looking at FFTPatcher, the ENTD tab.  Looks like it lists every fight, and enemies in these fights.  I guess if I use the Load/Save formation, her Sprite Set/Name, and find an unoccupied square near the party, I can insert her into the map?  Just have to make sure it's an unoccupied spot for every fight.

I guess I can fiddle around and see what I can do with that.

Jumza

Quote from: Alaris on May 05, 2016, 10:57:25 am
EDIT: Okay, I'm looking at FFTPatcher, the ENTD tab.  Looks like it lists every fight, and enemies in these fights.  I guess if I use the Load/Save formation, her Sprite Set/Name, and find an unoccupied square near the party, I can insert her into the map?  Just have to make sure it's an unoccupied spot for every fight.

Yup! That's about it! Make sure that you're choosing all the battles and stuff and not events because they're not well labelled :P

Alaris

Quote from: Jumza on May 05, 2016, 11:10:16 pm
Yup! That's about it! Make sure that you're choosing all the battles and stuff and not events because they're not well labelled :P

I just know I'll end up with the character standing around during one of the events.  I imagine I'll laugh.

That said, thanks a ton for your help, Jumza.  You rock!

Jumza

Thanks! And anytime :) Another thing to watch out for is the sprite limit, there can only be 9 unique sprites loaded at any given time during battles and events so be careful when you add her in. Ramza and co usually counts for 5 (possible) uniques, then sometimes you have other guests, and then you have enemies. Happy editing!

Alaris

May 07, 2016, 01:50:44 pm #8 Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 01:58:48 pm by Alaris
Quote from: Jumza on May 06, 2016, 09:03:22 pm
Thanks! And anytime :) Another thing to watch out for is the sprite limit, there can only be 9 unique sprites loaded at any given time during battles and events so be careful when you add her in. Ramza and co usually counts for 5 (possible) uniques, then sometimes you have other guests, and then you have enemies. Happy editing!

9 unique... Generics count as unique? (So if I had 4 different classes + Ramza, it would be 5 of the sprites?).  Also, different palettes of the same class count as the same or different sprites?  That's a bummer; any particular fights I should watch out for that are either at the limit, or close to it?

Also, not related to the specific topic, but still in the general idea:  Is there any way to set it so that, if the character dies, the battle ends in a Game Over?  Since it's a Yorda-style challenge, the idea is if she dies, I have to restart.  It would be cool to make that automatic, rather than function on the honor system.

Thanks again!

Xifanie

9 spritesheets means:
- Male/Female do NOT count as one;
- You can use as many palettes as you want without increasing the count;
- You CAN'T have more enemy spritesheets by assuming the player will bring a character through the squad screen, that has the same spritesheet you gave to the enemies.

Really, just take 9, subtract the max amount of characters you can bring into that battle, and that's how many enemy spritesheets you can have.

You'd have to edit event conditions to make Unit ID X on death triggering a game over.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Jumza

Exactly what Xifanie said, though if you want Ramza style death gameovers for your Yorda unit (IE the game doesn't end if he dies, only if he crystallizes) I believe there is an ASM hack for that.

3lric

Choto made the 'Game Over Hack' and 'Unit Dismissal Hack' for Jot5

They can be found here:
http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=8507.0

Alaris

Hmm... sprites could definitely be an issue in some battles.  If I used the Attack.Out editor (I think that's what it's called) to reduce the # of my units I can have by 1 (for every battle, I guess), it would probably work out.  And since the challenge is supposed to be 4 Units + "Protected Unit", it would work out in a lot battles.

Well, I would prefer a "Game Over on Death," rather than crystal, but I could take what I can get.  Maybe there's a way to skirt around that (I know nothing of ASM hacking, so I wouldn't know where to start).  That said, thanks again, this has been a big help.

Quote from: Elric on May 07, 2016, 03:23:42 pm
Choto made the 'Game Over Hack' and 'Unit Dismissal Hack' for Jot5

They can be found here:
http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=8507.0

Thank you kindly, looks like these will be quite useful.

Alaris

May 07, 2016, 05:24:54 pm #13 Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 06:52:09 pm by Alaris
Okay, modified the Attack.Out, and a battle in ENTD (Sp?), and managed to get my Yorda to pop up as a Guest in battle.  Granted, she attacked Ramza (he was asleep, so I guess that's justified?)... but it's progress.

New problems include that she can still be placed in the formation screen before battle.  How do I flag her as a guest for that as well? 

Edit: Double post because I suck and didn't realize I should have edited.  Also, looking through tutorials and such to see if any of this is mentioned, and is obvious to everyone except me.

Edit 2: On that note, while I'm at it, is there an easy method to add said "Guest" to my roster at the start of the game?  Currently, I just "Save-Edited" her in, but I would theoretically want to just be able to patch the game, and start playing without any other outside editing.

Edit 3: And I appear to have figured it all out.  Inserted her into the Academy scene, had her saved to Formation from there, and she is now a Guest that cannot be dismissed or placed on the formation screen.  I think I've got everything under control now.  Wooh! ^_^

Jumza