• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:51:19 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Arena battle videos and discussion

Started by PX_Timefordeath, August 04, 2010, 06:49:51 pm

Reks

Quote from: Mudvayne on May 16, 2015, 01:54:10 pm
Alright Reks, here ya go.

FFT Arena: Reks (Till Death) vs CT5Holy (All Ultima)

Thank you~

Luck Based teams, like this one, are a hit or miss.

I missed a bit too much, hehe.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
  • Discord username: Reks#0128

Mudvayne

FFT Arena 1.39C: Reks (Till Death) vs Shintroy (Quetzalcoatl III)
Video is uploading, should be up in ~40 minutes or so.

Can anyone tell me how to update my memcardgenerator to 1.39C? Mine is 1.39B right now even after re-downloading the 1.39C patch from the sticky, therefore I cannot make a mime unit with a secondary/reaction/support ability.
Shintroy had requested a match with one of his mime teams but I was unable to correctly setup the unit with proper abilities into my memcardgenerator. Can anyone point me in the right direction on where I might be able to fix this? Help is much appreciated.

Barren

If you're talking about the excel spreadsheet that is the memcard generator then the 1.39B unfortunately is the latest one right now. As long as you apply the 1.39c patch to a clean ROM then it should be fine. Otherwise I can e-mail you my copy of the memcard generator. Just pm me if you need it
You dare cross blades with me?

Shintroy

May 17, 2015, 10:32:24 pm #4123 Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 01:28:26 am by Shintroy
Balanced vs Death Theme
R1 - Got wrecked  at the start due to faith rod. RNG made this last waay longer than it should've. Units spread out made this hard to recover from. Maru dying
R2 - Lots of death misses. Steady damage added up quickly thanks to the misses/wasted turns.
R3 - Comebacks all around.. Round 1 had me worried

GG.  Was afraid of not being able to tank past faith rod. If Maru didn't get revived in R3 I probably would've lost.
-----------------------
After looking at the equipment I think I'll have the advantage throughout the match since there's less of a chance Death will proc. Gold Staff is rarely worth it. Surprised I lost R1 so badly

Ultima vs Death Theme
I think Holy has the advantage here since he'll have turn advantage most of the time. Till Death is too reliant on low RNG chances without faith rod/pilgramage imo

R1 - One sided round. Units got too split up which is when Till Death thrives most.
R2 - Those 225+ Ultimas were beautiful.  CT5Holy outranged Reks here and the AOE combined with don't act made this a quick round.
R3 - Lots of disruption  this round. CT5Holy got more out of his opportunities with Ultima and damage though.

GG. Feels like you nerfed the team a bit Reks. It has waaay less CC potential now

The spreadsheet shows Mime being unable to equip abilities and equipement, but it will still make the mime correctly in game. Also some abillities (stall as far as I know) have the wrong JP shown.
You're doing great Mudvayne. Your opinions are a lot better than mine my first .... year playing Arena (I didn't use master guide.).

There's a couple of teams like Reks's that don't rely on damage for kills. My team "Bad Breath" uses Status to kill. Otabo's team "Total Disrespect" uses your own units for damage. Malroth also has a team that doesn't do damage to get wins "Slightly Derpier"

Thanks for the match m8. (First sub woo)
Some day my people will be free.

Reks

Quote from: Shintroy on May 17, 2015, 10:32:24 pm
Balanced vs Death Theme
R1 - Got wrecked  at the start due to faith rod. RNG made this last waay longer than it should've. Units spread out made this hard to recover from. Maru dying
R2 - Lots of death misses. Steady damage added up quickly thanks to the misses/wasted turns.
R3 - Comebacks all around.. Round 1 had me worried

GG.  Was afraid of not being able to tank past faith rod. If Maru didn't get revived in R3 I probably would've lost.
-----------------------
After looking at the equipment I think I'll have the advantage throughout the match since there's less of a chance Death will proc. Gold Staff is rarely worth it. Surprised I lost R1 so badly

Ultima vs Death Theme
I think Holy has the advantage here since he'll have turn advantage most of the time. Till Death is too reliant on low RNG chances without faith rod/pilgramage imo

R1 - One sided round. Units got too split up which is when Till Death thrives most.
R2 - Those 225+ Ultimas were beautiful.  CT5Holy outranged Reks here and the AOE combined with don't act made this a quick round.
R3 - Lots of disruption  this round. CT5Holy got more out of his opportunities with Ultima and damage though.

GG. Feels like you nerfed the team a bit Reks. It has waaay less CC potential now

The spreadsheet shows Mime being unable to equip abilities and equipement, but it will still make the mime correctly in game. Also some abillities (stall as far as I know) have the wrong JP shown.
You're doing great Mudvayne. Your opinions are a lot better than mine my first .... year playing Arena (I didn't use master guide.).

There's a couple of teams like Reks's that don't rely on damage for kills. My team "Bad Breath" uses Status to kill. Otabo's team "Total Disrespect" uses your own units for damage. Malroth also has a team that doesn't do damage to get wins "Slightly Derpier"

Thanks for the match m8. (First sub woo)

They have two versions. This one is technically more disruptive with Status, but the other has the Time Mage from before. i'll switch them out as it looks like the Status is more hit-or-miss than the guaranteed Speed Control.

Shintroy

How are those S4 teams holding up everyone? What kind of teams are you all going for? I said when I first making Mime teams I'd use MyMe, but I decided to make a whole new S3 based Mime Team. Haven't entered it yet since I haven't decided on the names yet.

Aside from Truelight's team I can't get around berserk and absorb teams freely. Did so much testing against some top end disruption and absorb teams. I don't know why I do so badly against them.

silentkaster

Shintroy, absorb teams are heavily countered by status teams. Specifically, berserk, silence and sleep are very effective, and since almost nobody uses maintenance, Steal Accessory is very effective against the Defense Ring. That, or very high damage teams (like that can ideally one shot most units...so think martial arts dancers, berserked samurai, etc.)

If you're worried about Berserk, Chakra Band/Diamond Armor are huge. Murasame would ideally work as well, if you can fit it into your team. Most Berserked teams carry Steal Accessory, so the accessories can be, but usually aren't as effective. However, Breaks are expensive and inaccurate so usually aren't worth it except on teams that specifically build around those techniques.

You've stepped in puddles less shallow than me.

Shintroy

Ya I updated the team for the fourth time and am currently testing out two versions. One with Dracula Mantle + Maintenance (I already had Maintenance since he's a chemist), and the other is equip armor which I doubt I'll go with since I miss out on Move-HP Up.

Any team builds that ail you silentkaster? I got a 0% Win rate against unshakeable faith on large maps and a 0% Win Rate against Total Disrespect.

Surprised I lose to Bad Breath so badly since this team is based off it and MyMe. It's not even a cointoss. I most likely lose to berserk as the team was pre Mantle/Armor.

No need to give away what kind of team your making. I'm just really impatient and may end up giving away too much info about my team. Already mentioned Mime and Chemist and what it's based off of.

silentkaster

I would say teams with a lot of AOE typically are difficult on me since I hardly ever run evasion. The reason I don't is because evasion is not reliable.

Have you considered an item bot monk? It is something my sister has done. You get decent HP, immunity to a bunch of status and you can equip Chantage for immunity to sleep or Sprint Shoes for Speed (wouldn't recommend being below 10 speed). All that and you get access to Secret Fist so your Monk isn't useless. Since you are running a mime who will likely run up and punch enemies (depending on his/her secondary) it might be worth a try.

I should be able to run some matches this weekend with commentary (I say should...can't guarantee anything.) So if you want to see your tournament teams in action or want some commentary or thoughts on other teams, let me know everyone...

Elmdork

I'd like to see mavericks get some action. I built them with tournaments in mind two years ago, but never really got to do that. Good practice for anybody who wants to go against a balanced tournament ready team. Haven't decided if I will enter them or not though, bit of an update to them since the crash. Mostly just archer equip changes.
The bird of Hermes is my name
Eating my wings to make me tame
  • Discord username: rouroni elmdor

Shintroy

Ya my tournament team's already decided unit wise. I'm just testing out different versions of some units at the moment. I'm afraid of leaving the team how it is since it has problems closing out matches against stalling, disruption teams.

To avoid spoiling my entire team I'll give away what the team's based off of (if I haven't already). I updated the team submission post requesting matches of only MyMe, Bad Breath, and With Haste. Even though it's a high end team (no where near Truelight's) it still has all the bad match ups of the aforementioned teams.

Still doubting the Dragoon, Oracle, Squire, Bard, and Dancer skill set making it to top 8. I wonder how many Item Bot Dragoons there will be. Haven't seen it used in 139 really.

Reks

Quote from: silentkaster on May 19, 2015, 09:12:21 am
I would say teams with a lot of AOE typically are difficult on me since I hardly ever run evasion. The reason I don't is because evasion is not reliable.

Have you considered an item bot monk? It is something my sister has done. You get decent HP, immunity to a bunch of status and you can equip Chantage for immunity to sleep or Sprint Shoes for Speed (wouldn't recommend being below 10 speed). All that and you get access to Secret Fist so your Monk isn't useless. Since you are running a mime who will likely run up and punch enemies (depending on his/her secondary) it might be worth a try.

I should be able to run some matches this weekend with commentary (I say should...can't guarantee anything.) So if you want to see your tournament teams in action or want some commentary or thoughts on other teams, let me know everyone...

Technically anything with a % chance is unreliable if you wanna go that direction

But a bit of a chance stacked in your favor is better than a guaranteed hit on your units.

So while being purely evasive isn't a reliable strategy (and it never CAN be), evasion itself is great.

Though I think I prefer magic evasion over physical.

silentkaster

Quote from: Mudvayne on May 19, 2015, 08:23:03 pm
FFT Arena 1.39C: Silentkaster 'Signs Of Aging' Vs Mudvayne 'Caster Chix'

See above comment regarding heavy AOE teams. Doesn't help that Round 2 I missed just about every status they cast while he hit almost all his, but that's the RNG for you I guess.

Mudvayne

May 20, 2015, 07:57:43 pm #4134 Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 11:00:48 pm by Mudvayne
FFT Arena 1.39C: Shintroy (Powers Combined IV) vs Silentkaster (Signs of Aging)

Edit: Made some editing errors earlier and uploaded the wrong version of the file. Should be fixed now. File should be re-uploaded in ~30 minutes or so, sorry.

Shintroy

Mime Boosting vs Status+MA
This is one of silentkaster's stronger teams so I didn't expect to win, let alone take a round off this team

Round 1 - Took forever. I'm well aware of Draw Out Asura being almost completely useless on a Geomancer Mime due to where they place themselves. After the second loss in a row with this build I'll have to make some changes.

Round 2 - Seperation can make or break teams. Definitely breaks this mime team

Round 3 - Destruction.

GG. I have to update the monk and change the squire's class. There isn't enough attribute boosting going on even though there's plenty of space for it. There was probably only one quickening, battle song, and Focus throughout the entire game.

Thanks for the match Mudvayne. Convinced this team needs some changing.

Mudvayne

Maybe stick to one stat or possibly two you want to boost. Maybe have two units boosting MA and one unit boosting PA or SP and then keep your mime with geomancy or maybe draw out. If he mimics a few magic songs or focus or whatever MA boosting skill you use he can start doing pretty decent damage. Or if you just have two quickening units, if his speed gets high enough higher damage won't be as relevant since he can get turns so quickly. Maybe give him speed stacking equipment and have two quickening units, that may be interesting if he starts getting up to 13-14+ SP.

silentkaster

Still doing some matches this weekend so if anyone wants to test their tournament teams or see other teams in action, let me know. I got a couple requests but can definitely take more.