• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:18:11 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Arena battle videos and discussion

Started by PX_Timefordeath, August 04, 2010, 06:49:51 pm

Otabo

I can also do some myself on Saturday or Sunday.

Reks

Might I have one more match with Till Death?

Not to bore everyone. Just want to check whether speed control or status is better in this team's case.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
  • Discord username: Reks#0128

Shintroy

I'd like another match with the vastly improved (By Our) Powers Combined. Still mad salty over Raise 2 missing four times in a row. I feel like my mime teams have good match ups vs tanky teams and bad match ups vs heavy offense teams since they're at a disadvantage unless they have time to boost stats. Map comes into play too. I'll have to wait and see what happens.

The team is a work of art once it gets going. The only downside is not being able to get anything off of Asura mimicking since the Mime is usually at max geomancy range.

Fire Cape and Quetzalcoatl can wait I just want to see a 2-2 with Powers Combined.
Some day my people will be free.

silentkaster

I will try (not guaranteed) to run matches for Otabo's newest teams. Both teams appear to be very strong so I have two perfect match ups for your newest teams.
You've stepped in puddles less shallow than me.

Otabo

Heh. Didn't even know that team was undefeated. Learn something new everyday, I suppose. Anywho, good debut match for this team. They seem to work pretty well together overall. Might replace one of the mediators with a mime, but I love my mediators too much to do that. We'll see after this team has gone up against a few more teams. Will be watching this team closely. Also, if only Chakra Band was blocking Petrify LIKE IT SHOULD...that is literally the only reason why I'm so reluctant to run monks on my teams right now (most of them).

Rarely do any of my teams win against CT5Holy, so I'm glad to take this win and run with it.  Round 2 I expected to lose as soon as I saw the map; up to 4 Last Dances per cycle and, yeah...my guys weren't going to be getting turns. I agree, Phoenix Down wasn't enough, but in that sort of situation, no revival is going to be enough, really. But once those dancers got started getting statused, the team couldn't do much. Very GG. I like this team, too.

Love to see more matches like this. I want to see what mage teams can do against either of them. Thanks silentkaster.

Shintroy

April 12, 2015, 05:57:06 am #4026 Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 08:05:29 am by Shintroy
Chakra Band would be OP if it blocked petrifiy. It would make cursed monks even more powerful than they already are.

Mobility vs Delay
Wow the return of 8 Move? ...or was it 7 move? ...AND against my favorite CT5Holy team? Fuggg. Great match up wise. Seems like Otabo has a good match up vs Holy here since he has the ability to close in quickly making the delay not as powerful as it would normally be.

Round 1 - Overwhelmed. Holy didn't get a chance to start much. The mime got dealt with especially quick.

Round 2- Map advantage for Holy here. Otabo almost came back due to his thief's speed though. Even if he had a better way to revive I don't think it would have mattered since Holy's units all OHKO or put the units attacked into near critical state. AI tend to want to heal up after taking a hit from the dancer or monk which is bad because they usually don't get another turn.

Round 3 - Same as round 1. Stacked tons of status. Bad breath on roids.

GG. Great match up. Never would have thought of using mobility to counter Holy's team.

Mobility vs Synergy
Another one of my favorite teams against Otabo's insanely mobile teams? Tough call. Didn't know Andante's team is undefeated either. Seems like an even match. Andante has the ability to shut down a team quickly, but Otabo has the disruption to ruin Andante's synergy.

Round 1 - Started out great for Andante, but a charm on the priest and a petrify on the monk made this impossible to come back from. Don't even have to mention the scholar running out of MP.

Round 2 - Easy win for Andante. The thieves got too close and quaked. Seems like Otabo's team has a tough time coming back if they aren't able to flee.

Round 3- Played a lot like the other round 3. Status on status, on status.

GG. RIP Andante. I think berserk mime could work with the innocent/distribute set up maybe.

Thanks for these silentkaster. Even though my fav teams lost it was still great to see them in action again, win or loss.

-----------------
Got a sick idea for a berserk mime team. It's going to be based of Hokuto no Ken/Shinken.

Otabo

Quote from: Shintroy on April 12, 2015, 05:57:06 am
Chakra Band would be OP if it blocked petrifiy. It would make cursed monks even more powerful than they already are.

Thing is, before 1.39 was released, Chakra Band was blocking petrify like it was supposed to. Of course, that was back before Cursed Ring got its well-deserved nerf, too. But still, it wasn't OP then because there were ways around it. Hell, with all the status being thrown around by teams nowadays, we need more status blocking items - especially for non-armored units.

Barren

I would even go as far to say that at least we need the light robe to be immune poison and alway regen that way you are not relegated to using light robe + platina helmet since poison cancels regen completely. And maybe give one of the robes immune to berserk like silk robe would be perfect I think
You dare cross blades with me?

Barren

I recorded 5 matches last night so I'll have them up by either tomorrow afternoon or tomorrow night pending on my college's internet connection and doing homework in between. So stay tuned folks
You dare cross blades with me?

Otabo

Shintroy

I always go in with The Damned losing automatically. I am ashamed
Death/Status vs Dark Absorb
Can't bet against Reks' Till Death team.  Still I think The Damned has a shot since he's dark absorb and Death doesn't work on Dark absorb(?). Also Angel Ring vs Death Sentence Wonder if it will trigger this game.

Round 1 - Wow several minutes into the game Reks pulls of a sick Decap into Death combo to take the lead. I rarely skip ahead if ever, but I had to since The Damned had no chance at reviving units after this.

Round 2 - Fastest win I've seen from The Damned in all my days watching Arena matches. Juliet killing the time mage before destroyed Reks' team. Surprised to see Till Death not being able to recover, especially since there were so many chances where Juliet could have lost charm.

Round 3 - Several minutes of nothing happening.... Seems like an okay match up for The Damned actually. Juliet has no offensive options outside of melee and Throw Stone. No idea why she's not going for throw stone though. Never seen Esuna miss(Thanks The Damned). After Reks gets caught under the little bridge The Damned's speed advantage and being an absorb team easily takes the round.

GG. Definitely a bad match up for Reks I don't think Juliet has to change. Her low HP and high evasion is great most of the time.

Sleep mode after an hour unless uncharged tho.

The Damned

(First and foremost, welcome fdquinn11. Please note that Summoner is literally the worst class to use Balance with though due it having the lowest HP in Arena.)

Thanks to Barren, silentkaster and Otabo for recording videos. I'm not even going to use spoilers for Malroth (Slightly Derpier) vs. silentkaser (Derpiest Team Ever), though, since nothing really happened there except for timely proof of what I was talking to CT5Holy about in the Balance Thread. This is why Slow Dance, especially without Quickening around to "balance" it, probably needs to die ultimately. As I said on Youtube, you have my empathy for recording that, Barren.

Speaking of which, I can now comment on Youtube again and the settings you gave me worked (or at least seemed to). So now I'll see if I can get some way of recording again and try to help out with videos. Probably won't be until this weekend at earliest if I can though.

And now for spoilers:

Not going to lie here: both teams are rather "rough". "Laundry"'s Summoner and Archer are currently great liabilities to point that I'm surprised that this was as even as it was even though "Nanashi's Sushi Bar"--which is obviously a reference I don't understand--also has issues. Which is weird, but looking it, it seems pretty solid, but something about the Paladin just...bothers me. Maybe because he's not in front. Shrug.

I'll be honest: I don't really the exact details of what happened here except that Shintroy got kind of bum-rushed and that a Mime thus failed again. I'd call it disappointing if I actually had expectations of Mimes at this point, though I'm *somewhat* tempted to run a particular Mime team after wondering about something....

This was kind of painful to watch, and not just because Old Gimmickry's undefeated streak was broken. Sleep just lasts too damn long and Quickening is so annoying for a variety of reasons, including its visuals and accompanying sound effect. I would rather prefer if both of things--Sleep's CT and Quickening's existence--get fixed by next version, but meh, I've said this before.

That said, you know things are bad when rooting for something as also overpowered as Quake is the lesser evil. It's also still darkly amusing how half of Thief's skill set is utter trash and how the other half is overpowered, including Spellbreaker as people are finally realizing.

Oh well. While a lot of Otabo's teams tend to be the same (Mediator, Quickening use, general disruption), I will admit that having the Mediators handle Protect and Shell separately is quite smart way to get around the A.I.'s deficiency in that matter.

I really wouldn't mind Last Dance not being able to Mimic'd or Dance in general. Damn that drags battles out almost as much as Summon Mimic or Lore Mimic "spam". Other than that, not much to say about this except that, yeah, the loss for Otabo on Zeklaus is all but guaranteed since it's the longest map in the game.

Oh, hey. It looks like both of our Squires decided to be stupid about Throw Stone two consecutive matches in a row. Fancy that. At least my stupidly built Squire had an excuse though given I also made the mistake of giving him Steal Heart. Not really sure why Juliet thought running around with a Main Gauche of all things was a way to beat me. Maybe if   she had a Dragon Rod or something, then I likely would have lost.

Hell, I'd like have lost if half of my team didn't outright hard-counter Death between having both Immune: Dead and Absorb: Dark. So I had the slight advantage here, though I still easily could have and almost did lose.

If nothing else, then this marks the once-in-a-blue-moon time of Charm actually doing a damn thing for me rather than instantly getting dispelled or something along those lines. Still, "Fresh Prince of Darkness" needs another redux or, at least, Willucifer does. Damn it, Will.

Good game, Reks. I'd personally try screwing with a weapon that procs something, like Dragon Rod, even though losing Main Gauche obviously hurts Abandon a lot. Still, Abandon will still work with Aegis Shield (when not charging Death), so it's up to you whether you want to keep it if you lose Main Gauche.

Quote from: Shintroy on April 13, 2015, 03:31:17 pm
I always go in with The Damned losing automatically. I am ashamed

I'm not sure why you'd be ashamed. You're doing it right if you expect me to lose. I mean, I expect me to lose, especially when the person doing the video says I might have the advantage. I'm pretty sure I have the worst record of anyone who's been here for a while, so you're just being intelligent.

Also, to answer you question, Death does work on Dark absorb (as clearly seen) since for the formula that Death uses is hard-coded to do some really weird things, like completely negate the "Add: Dead" part on Undead units. I do have to wonder if FFMaster made sure it's actually Dark though....

Also also, the Esuna miss has happened before, but I just had the worst one I think since there was "only" a 0.64% chance of missing both units (or, technically, "twice"). Still not as bad as that 1% chance I had of missing Raise 2 in the first match that "IV a Darker Future" ever fought that ultimately cost me the match, but, yeah, anything that isn't 100% can miss and Esuna isn't always 100%, especially on 40 Faith units.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Otabo

Wow, I have to hand it to Reks' team for staying alive as long as they did in R2 - if only the geomancer weren't so busy with the paladin, it would have 'probably' been over much quicker. All those Deaths missing didn't help either; prime example of why I don't like the spell in the first place. But anyway, GG. Also, the ninja HAS to be changed. I'll come up with something for her though.

Anima Zero

So many videos.  Thanks a bunch Barren!

Amusing fact...Barren didn't use the updated version of my team that changed a couple things on Soren & Alice.  Regardless, it was a slaughter there as Blaze & Alice more or less completely wiped the floor with his team with the others doing what they do best.  Good match sir!
"I never cared about justice, and I don't recall ever calling myself a hero..." Zero, Mega Man Zero 4

Shintroy

April 14, 2015, 10:35:39 am #4036 Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 11:00:06 am by Shintroy
Mime Boosting vs Unfaith/AOE

Rek't Really strong team. Quake AND Unfury/faith. The only good match ups my team has is against tank/defensive teams anyway. At least it was over fast.

Looking forward to Truelight going undefeated with this.

It was a 3v4 for the most part due to the balance summoner.good stuff to Joorum for taking it quickly. Balance on anything but a summoner works.

Time Limit vs Mime Fire Absorb

I really liked this match up. RedWorld had some great openers at the start of each round, but couldn't close it out fast enough. That's just what silentkaster needed to take it. GG. Not as derpy as I thought. Looking forward to seeing both teams again.

Death vs Endgame
Till Death gets dissected again. Bizen did all the work. If Romeo maybe had one less spell it probably would've been differently that second round.

GG. The ninja definitely should be changed to fit the team more. Too squishy to get a lot out of the PA Saves to matter. Two Swords Monk maybe?

Earth vs Fire

Those Phoenix Blade Grand Crosses probably hit two units every time. The only thing that kept this from being shorter was Anima Zero's mobility against Rouroni's sandbagging.

Thanks for the matches Barren. Glad non of these went on for longer than they should have.

Reks

April 15, 2015, 01:51:45 am #4037 Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 02:07:56 am by Reks
Quote from: Otabo on April 13, 2015, 01:37:36 pm
Remember kids, the "I" in "AI" stands for ignorance, not intelligence. For evermore...

FFT Arena 1.39c - Reks (Til Death Do Us Part) vs. The Damned (Fresh Prince of Darkness)
Quote from: Barren on April 14, 2015, 08:09:53 am
FFT Arena 1.39c - Joorum (The Police) vs Fdquinn11 (Laundry)

FFT Arena 1.39c - Reks (Till Death Do Us Part) vs Otabo (Springtime Sisters)

FFT Arena 1.39c - Rouroni Elmdor (Nanashi's Sushi Bar) vs Anima Zero (Dark Fire)

FFT Arena 1.39c - Shintroy (Powers Combined IV) vs TrueLight (Unshakable Faith)

FFT Arena 1.39c - silentkaster (Derpiest Team Ever) vs RedWorld (The Clean Up Squad)

Something fast to note, Barren, that before Marie had the Jade Armlet she DID have Sprint Shoes.

And kept getting Frogged. Over and over.

I prefer her to be a single point slower than to be useless.

I did redo Romeo yet again, but now I have two versions of him.

I'll post the one I think is more useful.

Thanks for the matches, guys. It showed me exactly what was needed.
  • Discord username: Reks#0128

The Damned

(Note: I'm going to be redoing my teams entry before today's end, so that's why it's missing.)

Thanks for the videos, Barren. Try to take it easy on your voice though. I can't imagine yelling "Grand Crossu!" helped much.

Yeah, that Joorum won this wasn't really surprising. Fdquinn11's team just has too many problems, particularly that Summoner. The Monk is relatively fine as a unit, but the other three units just hold him back.

Protracted losses when you're obviously going to lose are frustrating. You've my sympathies, Reks, especially since this match may have broken the record for the amount of times that Odin caused Instant Death. I'm still not comfortable with that.

Also, Nurse is beginning to piss me off, at least with how dumb it makes the already too often stupid A.I. My gods. Getting rid of Defending on that thing may be for the best.

Not much to say here given how swiftly this went except that Anima Zero just commented culinary crimes since you're not supposed to be fry, much less burn, sushi. Nothing else to say here since it was already clear that Phoenix Blade is overpowered as it is now and that a squishy mage being in front is usually a bad idea unless they're spamming Quake or Tornado.

Similarly not much else to say here given how swiftly this match went as well except for the same thing I said on Youtube: Lore making the A.I. actively use Heretic is something I suspected given the team that exists that essentially does the same thing, only with Mediator's Solution, but I can't remember if anyone's used it before. I vaguely remember one other team perhaps using it, but that was about it. Regardless, no one's been using it sense for some reason, so it's nice to see it again (though I'm sure that I'll regret saying that soon enough).

Oh, so RedWorld and silentkaster are related. Hunh. I do recall silentkaster mentioning his sister was on this forum, but I didn't make connection. Silly me.

Anyway, this was kind of painful to watch between Slow Dance and Quickening & Cursed Ring destroying as expected, Nameless Dance continuing to be absolutely horrible (gods, I'm never using that again) and RedWorld's team being continually screwed over by Charm--I know that last feeling all too well.

Also, "Happy Tax Day" for those of us in the U.S.A., I guess.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

silentkaster

I'd like to see a gauntlet match with TL's team. Although we only saw the one match up, it looks pretty sick (in a good, very strong team kind of way.)
You've stepped in puddles less shallow than me.