• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:11:17 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Need Help (Game Script)

Started by Xifanie, October 13, 2007, 12:28:12 pm

Asmo X

October 14, 2007, 08:12:05 pm #20 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X
So like, should I bother doing this for the rest of the script? Obviously there are a crapload of changes to be made so I'll wait to hear back before plowing through the rest of it.

VincentCraven

October 15, 2007, 12:24:53 am #21 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
Umm... the description for Libra sign is wrong. It says it is good compatibility with Pisces, Aquarius but it should be Gemini, Aquarius.
I changed jobs and that has made all the difference.

Xifanie

October 15, 2007, 06:55:10 pm #22 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
Quote from: "Asmo X"So like, should I bother doing this for the rest of the script? Obviously there are a crapload of changes to be made so I'll wait to hear back before plowing through the rest of it.

Well, the thing is that I doubt you're fully aware of what's going on here. You can't try to fix a game's translation by taking the broken one only.

I want a Japanese sentence to sound good in English while keeping the sense of it. Which you haven't done most of the time actually...

It's as if you want to write a completely different scenario. :/

I don't want to make a full re-translation, I don't want to write a new script, and I don't want to change the characters personalities either. I hope you understand.

This is why you could work with Sugnuf's translation. Most of the sentences have a weird structure, so much that I have a hard time to understand what could be say so much simpler yet not changing the meaning at all. But, I have to give it that it's a good script to base yourself on since that translation is rather accurate.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Asmo X

October 15, 2007, 07:13:53 pm #23 Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 12:49:45 pm by Asmo X
Quote from: "Zodiac"
Quote from: "Asmo X"So like, should I bother doing this for the rest of the script? Obviously there are a crapload of changes to be made so I'll wait to hear back before plowing through the rest of it.

Well, the thing is that I doubt you're fully aware of what's going on here. You can't try to fix a game's translation by taking the broken one only.

I want a Japanese sentence to sound good in English while keeping the sense of it. Which you haven't done most of the time actually...

It's as if you want to write a completely different scenario. :/

I don't want to make a full re-translation, I don't want to write a new script, and I don't want to change the characters personalities either. I hope you understand.

This is why you could work with Sugnuf's translation. Most of the sentences have a weird structure, so much that I have a hard time to understand what could be say so much simpler yet not changing the meaning at all. But, I have to give it that it's a good script to base yourself on since that translation is rather accurate.

Ah. I think I get what you want to do now

Asmo X

October 15, 2007, 07:25:28 pm #24 Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 12:50:23 pm by Asmo X
[Edit: NM]

Xifanie

October 15, 2007, 07:26:19 pm #25 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
Yeah, it's alright for redundancy.

That would be of great help, but... now I have to see how I can manage to put the new text in the file  :lol:

D'oh

If I need to change the pointers that links to each event location, I hope they won't be hard to find.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)

Asmo X

October 15, 2007, 07:37:49 pm #26 Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 12:53:03 pm by Asmo X
Yeah this is why I used the original translation. What you're planning sounds like a bloody insane amount of work. I was thinking you'd just tinker with the shoddy version until it resembled coherency.

Xifanie

October 15, 2007, 09:48:04 pm #27 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
Not only that, but I'd rather keep all those good lines.

Bad News: the Pointers Aren't located withing the events file. And because I don't don't know where there are, I cannot expand the width of an event for more text.

Good News: Most Events have extra spaced, and for the others, 2 bytes punctuation -> 1 byte will save some space and even more by removing all those extra unnecessary dots. Really they use it randomly in amounts from 3 to 12. What the fuck, 3 is by far enough, more is just wasted space.

This means that theoretically, even if you expand the script size, I shouldn't have to truncate it most of the time. And by the time you finish this, I'll try to find a solution to all this so that I don't have to truncate at all. ;/

karsten

October 16, 2007, 02:20:57 am #28 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by karsten
Quote from: "Zodiac"Not only that, but I'd rather keep all those good lines.

Bad News: the Pointers Aren't located withing the events file. And because I don't don't know where there are, I cannot expand the width of an event for more text.

Good News: Most Events have extra spaced, and for the others, 2 bytes punctuation -> 1 byte will save some space and even more by removing all those extra unnecessary dots. Really they use it randomly in amounts from 3 to 12. What the fuck, 3 is by far enough, more is just wasted space.

This means that theoretically, even if you expand the script size, I shouldn't have to truncate it most of the time. And by the time you finish this, I'll try to find a solution to all this so that I don't have to truncate at all. ;/

nice nice... by the way, zodiac, why on't you give us a complete report of your progresses in all directions? you were even taking a look at maps i guess... right?

Xifanie

October 16, 2007, 07:03:10 am #29 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
Oh crap, that would take a while XD.

karsten

October 16, 2007, 08:33:10 am #30 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by karsten
Quote from: "Zodiac"Oh crap, that would take a while XD.

you mean you're working on too much things at the same time or what?

Xifanie

October 16, 2007, 04:26:54 pm #31 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
The thing is that I've been able to edit a lot of things, but nothing completely; mostly partially, which is next to nothing.

Uh, well from what I recall...

- Effects links to abilities: Battle.bin\0x14F3F2 [word]
- Music tracks: Battle.bin\Unknown [8 bytes?] (I tried to find it again, but failed)
- Effects: Ability to create new graphics, not palette.
- Events: Ability to open new message boxes, close them, order character animation, end event, etc.
- Items graphics: Events\Item.bin (2 free item graphics slots)
- Ability Quotes: Events\SPELL.MES (err... nothing much to say :O)
- Maps: Only discovered some height panel values

karsten

October 17, 2007, 02:15:30 am #32 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by karsten
Quote from: "Zodiac"The thing is that I've been able to edit a lot of things, but nothing completely; mostly partially, which is next to nothing.

Uh, well from what I recall...

- Effects links to abilities: Battle.bin\0x14F3F2 [word]
- Music tracks: Battle.bin\Unknown [8 bytes?] (I tried to find it again, but failed)
- Effects: Ability to create new graphics, not palette.
- Events: Ability to open new message boxes, close them, order character animation, end event, etc.
- Items graphics: Events\Item.bin (2 free item graphics slots)
- Ability Quotes: Events\SPELL.MES (err... nothing much to say :O)
- Maps: Only discovered some height panel values

wow, really not bad!

by the way, having something like this might be of any help?

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/sh ... sy+tactics

Xifanie

October 17, 2007, 07:05:02 am #33 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
Quote from: "karsten"wow, really not bad!

Such a waste that those events never made it out of Square in an other way then screenshots. There IS lots of Japanese text for events that aren't ever seen in the game whoever... it isn't the same for maps or sprites. Maybe I could be able to one of the events for one of those and see If i can get anything interesting.

I remember that thread but completely forgot that you made it. =o oops.

Wai- You mean ma get da CD!?
Oh fugglenugget, I just thought about this... It's Alpha... that probably means the sound novels aren't gone yet. But other than that, I don't see how this CD would be good for since I have FFT in JP and that version was released before that one.

karsten

October 17, 2007, 09:07:19 am #34 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by karsten
Quote from: "karsten"wow, really not bad!

Such a waste that those events never made it out of Square in an other way then screenshots. There IS lots of Japanese text for events that aren't ever seen in the game whoever... it isn't the same for maps or sprites. Maybe I could be able to one of the events for one of those and see If i can get anything interesting.

I remember that thread but completely forgot that you made it. =o oops.

Wai- You mean ma get da CD!?
Oh fugglenugget, I just thought about this... It's Alpha... that probably means the sound novels aren't gone yet. But other than that, I don't see how this CD would be good for since I have FFT in JP and that version was released before that one.

probably sound novel and char's speech are there. also the debug mode is there ready for allowing us to have 2 players battles.... also checking the differences between alfa and release might help you shed some light on the disc and variations contained in the discs

Xifanie

October 17, 2007, 04:25:06 pm #35 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
I must say it would be useful in different ways.

I'd use that CD. ;o

Xifanie

October 17, 2007, 06:24:52 pm #36 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
So like...

That guy has a FFT US Alpha CD of very low value.
He'll only ship to US.
It's just a burnt CD.
Not even anything special, no cover, no game box, no anything.
He has no idea of the differences between it's latter version and that one, except of the debug menu.
He has no idea of how the hardcore fans of FFT are like.

And yet... and yet... HE'S ASKING 1k!?!??!?

WHAT THE FUCK!

karsten

October 18, 2007, 02:16:30 am #37 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by karsten
Quote from: "Zodiac"So like...

That guy has a FFT US Alpha CD of very low value.
He'll only ship to US.
It's just a burnt CD.
Not even anything special, no cover, no game box, no anything.
He has no idea of the differences between it's latter version and that one, except of the debug menu.
He has no idea of how the hardcore fans of FFT are like.

And yet... and yet... HE'S ASKING 1k!?!??!?

WHAT THE FUCK!

no it's not asking that much :D

Xifanie

October 18, 2007, 05:59:50 am #38 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
Quote from: "karsten"companies were given blue debug playstation to play them.

Oh- oh- oh- I WANT ONE! =O

Being a game tester sure has its advantages, but I never liked enough game genres to be able to do that. ;/

karsten

October 18, 2007, 06:13:39 am #39 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by karsten
Quote from: "karsten"companies were given blue debug playstation to play them.

Oh- oh- oh- I WANT ONE! =O

Being a game tester sure has its advantages, but I never liked enough game genres to be able to do that. ;/

they pop out often on ebay. you might find one at less than 100$. but actually you can do everything with a modded psx with parallel port in the back and proper software

EDITED:
just to have you drooling up:
http://assembler.roarvgm.com/PSX/psx.html