• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:41:44 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Editing sprites

Started by embephudon, November 25, 2018, 01:16:47 am

embephudon

Hi guys, I'm really wanna know how to extract sprites sheet about character, ability (skill) from ffta to another format like png, ... that will have me to edit them, or use it on my own project. But i don't know how to do it, i'm do all the searching but i can't understand. Please help me where to start . All I see is the Hex code, is there any tool where you put the hex code and it convert it to sprite sheet !
Thank you very much !
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

embephudon

Leonarth

First of all, please don't say "hex code", it's just numbers, you don't call decimal numbers "decimal code".

There are many tools that let you view images from a rom, but images from different systems have different ways of being stored and compressed, this can vary wildly even within the same system and FFTA happens to be a game that uses many different formats for its data.

You can look for tools like GBAGE and yychr if you want to try your luck but you would likely have an easier time using an emulator with debugging tools (this is very common). I say this because most of the graphics will be hard to find, compressed in a way that is not supported by any tool, "missing parts" (when tiles are used to compose an image) or "out of order" (in an order that is useful to the game, but not so much to humans).
Even if you did find the right image and could extract it correctly you would also need to find the palette this image uses, as these two things are not linked, GBA images do not contain the data for their own colors.
Many of the effects are also composed of multiple images, or have transformations performed on them, the raw image you would find might not correspond to how it looks in-game.

I really think you should try using an emulator instead, look for things like tile viewers under tools or debugging in your emulator of choice, many emulators also allow you to turn off layers so that you can separate a single layer from the others.
That is your best bet, I think. There are also pages dedicated to ripping and hosting sprites, have you tried looking for those? just googling "ffta sprites" should get you something.

embephudon

First of all, thank you for replying so quick  :lol: .
I've tried to search " ffta sprites " but I'm curious and wanna know how did they get those image, so I'm post my question in here also, I always want to do romhacking for this game only, so I try to read the tutorial post but It's all about fft: wotl so I don't know what is going on =)) .