• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:00:20 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Rebalanced Knight Swords

Started by Quillbeatssword, January 25, 2018, 01:17:04 am

Quillbeatssword

January 25, 2018, 01:17:04 am Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 01:07:09 pm by Quillbeatssword
I suppose I could just release it as a patch but for now I just figured I'd share my rebalance of the sword skills with everyone. I know alot of people seem to have trouble with them and most mods just add a Mana cost which I disagree with. I felt they needed to remain free to use like other physical class abilities like Monk skills so I nerfed them and tested it replacing the Knight class abilities with sword skills and added the break skills to another job

First off I changed the formula for status sword, crush punch, Lightning stab, split punch and holy explosion from
  PA*(WP+X) which doesn't allow element effects to the Geomancy formula MA*(PA/2+X) which does and i left (x) at 2 like statis sword.

I then gave them all a range of 3 on a single Target.
I they are already flagged as physical. With these 5 I changed them to magic which makes them evadeable. Also made the compatible with calc and counter magic.
I removed all their status effects
Then added and renamed one for each main elements
Each costs 150jp

Crush punch-Fire Sword
Lighting stab- Lighting Sword
Status sword- Ice Sword
Holy explosion- Holy Sword
Split Punch- Unholy Sword
I left the HP/MP swords alone and just changed both costs to 150.(Edit) - Original formulas ignore Evasion and deal damage based on WP and PA but I want them to be Magical so I changed them to the Oracle-Spell absorb and Life drain formulas

As for the other 4 I made them Physical damage, Melee range and evadeable. Each does different stuff for example I used Hellcry punch and renamed it Arc Sword.
It attacks 1 square in all directions and uses the dash formula. Random damage with a knock back chance.
Have fun with these 4 and do what you want.

So now you have 5 Elemental Magical attacks that do fair damage, 2 Drains that are dark by default but I removed the element from them.

And 4 melee ranged Physical attacks. Combine this with a balanced growth of PA/MA and have fun ;)

• Modding version: PSX
I respect anyone with the knowledge to design tools for any game I mod. From total war, Rotk, Dragon age etc. That being said. Some of the best mods I ever used/created came from people with no knowledge of tool creation but a great knowledge of the tool. Some people can use the tools you make better than you. Saying a lack of that particular skillset doesn't make you a good/great modder is like saying using a game engine you didn't code makes you a crap game designer or a mechanic that didn't design the wrench is a bad mechanic. Stay humble. Everyone has different skillsets. Everyone contributes differently.

Xifanie

Did you turn them into spells?
Because if you still have weapon strike checked (i.e. the only way to have the sword swinging animation), the element of the ability will be ignored and it will instead apply the 1st equipped weapon's element (if any).

And only one target can knocked back per ability use... that or something worse, like really bad glitches where units can end up on invalid tiles, or a unit flying off forever, softlocking the game. You might want to make sure it works fine.

Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Quillbeatssword

January 25, 2018, 10:57:27 am #2 Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 12:42:53 pm by Quillbeatssword
Haven't noticed the knock back act funny. Seems to work fine. I'll patch in 99% knock back chance and see what happens. Are you absolutely positive that weapon strike nullifys elements?I thought it just toggles the sword swing animation instead of a regular cast using hands. I was almost certain that was just an issue with the original Knight swords formula. (WP*PA)+2 or whatever. If I don't hear back from you I'm going to test it using ice/fire sword on Bombs. IDK, another option would just be making swords for each one that cast the ability as a spell on hit

Edit- Haven't tested the knock back yet but using Geomancy formula on knight swords worked. Crush punch made fire type using the Geomancy formula healed a bomb.  Also used icewolf bite made Unholy on a skeleton and it was healed also.
It's possible that it has to do with the attack being flagged physical or Magical.
Fire
Ice
Lightning
Holy
And unholy(Dark) sword I have flagged as Magical

The two dark night swordskills are marked as Magical also but I didn't give them an element because I didn't want 3 using dark element.

The four armor breaking swords I flagged as physical and made 3 of them melee range with no elements either and changed them from equipment breaks to a 4way random damage knock back using dash formula, a 3 range random knock back using throw stone formula, one uses the normal (WP*PA)+2 of night swordskills and the last one has the formula for Shock! (Casmaxhp-cascurhp) and they all seem to function as intended I'm at the second miluda fight right now
A
I respect anyone with the knowledge to design tools for any game I mod. From total war, Rotk, Dragon age etc. That being said. Some of the best mods I ever used/created came from people with no knowledge of tool creation but a great knowledge of the tool. Some people can use the tools you make better than you. Saying a lack of that particular skillset doesn't make you a good/great modder is like saying using a game engine you didn't code makes you a crap game designer or a mechanic that didn't design the wrench is a bad mechanic. Stay humble. Everyone has different skillsets. Everyone contributes differently.

Pride

The correct element will still work just fine but you'll get a derpy ai with weapon strike flagged, ie the Wiegraf 1v1 fight
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

Quillbeatssword

You mean where he continuously lightning stabs you even when you have absorb? Maybe that's because the a.i thinks it's a swordskill? Cause I noticed even with a.i on auto Battle my guy didn't spam heal the bomb or skeleton. I had to manually use the ability. I think because now the game recognizes it as a Geomancy ability with an element

Pride

Yeah its the Weapon Strike flag that causes that behavior, so it still functions as intended (using ability element) but it causes the AI to think its the weapon element.
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

Xifanie

The only AI bug I know with Holy Swordskills is that AI assumes that they are all going to be holy elemental -only- (despite lightning stab also being flagged lightning elemental), which allows you to wear a chameleon robe against Wiegraf and have him never attempt to use Lightning Stab against you. So I don't know what you mean when you say it causes the AI to think the ability is weapon element, unless the bug is somehow reversed for magical attacks.

But yeah, I guess the weapon element override bug has to do with a combination of Weapon Strike + Physical.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Quillbeatssword

Yeah, but like I said as far as I've noticed the a.i seems to use them properly when set to Magical using the formula for Geomancy skills. I'm not using any elements on the swordskills I kept physical so IDK if the physical flag is the derp cause. Would be my guess though. In other words I think it's the Physical flag causing that problem with wiegraf not weapon strike