• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:40:08 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

WotL Patching Issues

Started by Kourama, May 18, 2008, 08:33:10 am

Kourama

May 18, 2008, 08:33:10 am Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kourama
I figured it might be a good idea to put in any detailed issues in terms of patching for the PSP version in one topic. This way the PSP users here can help test melonhead's programs extensively too.

Anyway I started messing around with the PSP version again after a long time today and used the Text Editor. I already know there were some issues with it but I wanted to test it somewhat.

So basically I changed all instances saying "Fell Sword" to "Dark Sword" (Gaffgarion's job/skillset) and also changed Ramza's Ch2/Ch3 job to say "Merc" in all instances. Everything works fine except there aren't any changes to any of the job names. All job/skillset descriptions work though.

I will test it a little bit more to see how ability names/descriptions work out to see how that is working as well.

Kourama

May 18, 2008, 08:52:54 am #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kourama
Another update on Text Editor, good news the Job name changes are shown on the pre-battle formation screen.

The bad thing though is that it seems ability name/descriptions seem to suffer from the same problem as the job name/descriptions and skillset name/descriptions. So basically description changes work fine but ability/skillset/job names aren't being changed at all except in the pre-battle formation screen.

Kourama

May 18, 2008, 10:00:09 am #2 Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 03:26:34 pm by Kourama
A few pics of successful changes.

Added the arrow and Huntcraft showing that Luso can learn the moves Blue Mage style.

Just a small change, "ramming" to "slamming."

Showing that Merc shows up in the pre-battle screen.

Lydyn

May 18, 2008, 02:17:24 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Lydyn
I can't see any of the pictures. >.<

Kourama

May 18, 2008, 03:46:07 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kourama
My bad, pics should be viewable now.

After messing around a bit more with the Text editor it seems that with the PSP version you can go over the maximum byte length.

In addition to putting the "arrow Huntercraft" for all the monster skills Luso can learn from monsters on my patch. I've also given all generic jobs an innate ability also listing it in the job description. Below are a few more pics to show you what I mean.

These next two show the Mime Job description longer than it should be and working just fine.

The next three just show Luso with his abilities and two descriptions of only two of his abilities.

Vanya

May 18, 2008, 03:55:44 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Interesting! And you haven't run into any glitches because of this?
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

Kourama

May 18, 2008, 04:32:25 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kourama
Nope not yet at least. Its great because just pressing enter in the text editor automatically makes the text box larger in game regardless of how small it was before. I have yet to test if a second text box is made if you have enough lines though.

As for issues, the only issue is that any changes to names aren't seen in the game except during prebattle so in some ways I can say that the PSP version is better in terms of text editing.

As for Sprite editing, I've successfully entered Cheetah's red mage sprite over Gafgarion's sprite and used it for Rad, but that's about it. I would practice with more sprite editing but I'm really lazy about it and motivation is hard to find.

Maybe I will finish my new Luso sprite one of these days.

Kourama

May 21, 2008, 12:17:56 am #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kourama
Well I have an update on the text editing program.

The "Maximum" # of bytes is just the limit for that entire section not for each specific description/name.

So basically the first part of the PSP version the section is ATCHELP.LZW. The Max for it is 129076 bytes. You can add as much text as you want to any job/ability/skillset description or name but the length can't be greater than the max.

If it is greater then everything gets a little screwy if not it should work just fine. I don't know if this is old news or not with Lydyn's guide but it was sort of a new thing for me, since all the descriptions in pre-battle are screwed up for me, but checking during formation and battle work just fine.

Lydyn

May 21, 2008, 01:46:28 am #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Lydyn
My guides deal with the PSX version as of right now ... since I don't mess with the PSP version and no one has PMed me any of their guides.

Kourama

May 21, 2008, 07:08:22 pm #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kourama
Well I guess this is new information when it comes to the PSP version then.

Kourama

May 26, 2008, 08:35:51 pm #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kourama
When it comes to changing battle sprites in the PSP version it works exactly the same was as the PSX version and the PSP version has the all the sprites the PSX version has + the new ones.

So far the only problem I've run into in regards to changing sprites has been with Cloud's sprite. Each time I've tried to import a .bmp over Cloud's sprite the game just freezes when trying to get to the title main menu.

As for patching the PSP ISO itself there is a certain order of things.

1. Get an original (unpatched) copy of the ISO and make sure you go into properties and uncheck the read-only box.

2. Make any changes in FFTPatcher and FFTactext and choose Patch ISO in each respective program.

3. Use UMDGen to find fftpack.bin in the ISO you patched and extract fftpack.bin to your desired location.

4. Use FFTPatcher and choose extract fftpack.bin and extract the files to your desired location.

5. Using ShishiSpriteEditor you can open any of the .SPR files located in the BATTLE folder to export/import and make any desired sprite changes. Obviously save once you import anything so that the change is saved.

6. Once you are done changing the desired sprites, use FFTPatcher and rebuild fftpack.bin. Choose the folder with all the files you extracted in step 4, then save the new "fftpack.bin" file as fftpack to your desired location.

7. Open your patched ISO with UMDGen and find fftpack.bin. Then drag the recently rebuilt fftpack.bin over the one in the patched ISO and choose "Yes" when it asks if you wish to save over the original fftpack.bin

8. Lastly while using UMDGen choose save as and save your fully patched ISO to your desired location using whatever name you want. Then just copy the ISO to your ISO folder in the root for psp folder and enjoy.

A few notes:

- When you extract fftpack.bin from your ISO, the fftpack.bin will have all changes you made when you patched the ISO, so if you need to repatch the ISO again you also need to re-extract fftpack.bin again so it can have all of your changes.

- Once you save your new "ISO" after all the changes (i.e. step 8) you can 't you can't repatch this ISO because FFTPatcher/FFTactext will not recognize the ISO.

If there are any questions or if anyone wants to add on to this let me know.

Kenshin72

June 11, 2008, 08:12:49 pm #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kenshin72
So you are telling me job names only change in the pre battle screen?
Figures. The only thing I wanted to change...

Kourama

June 13, 2008, 03:23:37 pm #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kourama
Yep thats exactly how it works.