• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:18:21 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Confused about Unit.bin

Started by Kourama, November 21, 2010, 04:14:22 pm

Kourama

So I read through the Unit.bin topic and decided to try my hand at modifying my original patch again. I tried inserting a new sprite over job 3A (unused Celia) and added the corresponding portrait and unit .bmp to wldface and unit.bin. I also made the required change in the Attackout file. Then I followed the instructions and hex edited over that job "3A" at the offsets listed in Vanya's post , which is 8D -> 08, as well as change the ENTD in the patcher to have name, job, sprite 3A appear as one of the starting cadets that join you.

Well everything seemed to be working ok except the character is not being shown properly in the formation. The portrait is still of Celia and the sprite looks like a Bard with the wrong palette. The only thing I didn't change was in this area:

Formation Screen Sprite Details
WORLD.BIN
0xADA44 - 0xADE33

due to the fact that from my understanding I wasn't sure that I needed to do anything. I would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction to fix the problem I'm having.

My other question is if I could have multiple jobs linked to the same unit in unit.bin. Would that cause any issues?

Thanks!

Zozma

Ok, so to answer some of your question....

It will cause no problem linking unit.bin sprites to multiple jobs, but it works out much better if the job you're linking is from a special unit or a monster. I encountered a problem when i linked the dancer unit.bin sprite to Celia for two reasons, first I never found any information there for linking a different palette, and also I got the dancer sprite to appear just fine in the formation screen itself, but the deploy unit screen she looked like the bard so the info for it seems to be 1 unit off between the normal menu screen and the deploy unit screen however I couldn't fix it because the two seem to be changed by the same thing....
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Kourama

ok just to make sure I'm understanding, linking multiple jobs shouldn't be a problem but preferrably I should use a special unit or a monster.

As for my main question, I guess there is nothing I can do to fix my issue? I feel like I'm missing a step when hex editing to link a job/character to a specific unit because it appears wrong in the formation screen. Deploy unit screen worked totally fine for me. I can always use one of the extra "Guest" sprites to fix the issue but I want to avoid too much ENTD editing this time. Ultimately I want to be able to link all guest-only and unused unit.bin sprites for custom jobs that can join your team. Thanks for the info so far.

Zozma

the only thing i do in ENTD is make it so guests NEVER appear there by un-checking "save formation"/"load formation"
(is there really any need to have guests appear in the unit screen anyway? as you train they will not be able to get stronger as you do anyway.)

then using http://www.ffhacktics.com/downloads.php?id=15 I replace any of the guest unit.bin sprites that I have freed up with the one i want.

and of course lastly i link it with the hex editor as you've tried to do above. If you only have one or two new characters you don't even need to bother with altering guests not to appear in your menu as there are like 4 or 5 unit.bin sprites you can never see in a vanilla game without gamesharking. those would be...

The ones linked to:
Dead Malak
Teitra
Alma (Guest at Graveyard of Airships)
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Kourama

Quote from: "Zozma"the only thing i do in ENTD is make it so guests NEVER appear there by un-checking "save formation"/"load formation"
(is there really any need to have guests appear in the unit screen anyway? as you train they will not be able to get stronger as you do anyway.)

then using http://www.ffhacktics.com/downloads.php?id=15 I replace any of the guest unit.bin sprites that I have freed up with the one i want.

and of course lastly i link it with the hex editor as you've tried to do above. If you only have one or two new characters you don't even need to bother with altering guests not to appear in your menu as there are like 4 or 5 unit.bin sprites you can never see in a vanilla game without gamesharking. those would be...
I have successfully done what you said above with the guests on an old patch before and replaced unused unit.bins sprites. My issue has to do with italized part that I quoted where I have no idea where I went wrong in hex editing and linking certain jobs to specific unit.bin sprites/portraits so that it appears correctly. I guess I'm just asking for guidance for that.