• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:10:48 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

The Chronicles of Kanbabrif

Started by Bastard Poetry, May 17, 2008, 07:20:29 am

BeoulveBlack

June 23, 2008, 08:40:12 pm #60 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by BeoulveBlack
hmm, can't promise anything, but i'll give Bolmna a try; i'll just rework an existing sprite with a similar head and get all the arms working right.... i hope.

just wanted to put this out there, but this is the first draft of my sprite Corban.

i saw that balthier looked enough like him, so i used it as a base, but i need to rework his clothes to look more like armor (or maybe i dont since he's a bandit...who knows?), which you can see, since his man-purse is now leg plating (for both sides). got some more to do on it though...

Bastard Poetry

June 23, 2008, 08:50:04 pm #61 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Bastard Poetry
Corban looks bad-ass! I'd love to see the final product, so good luck with that!

And thanks for taking up the Bolmna sprite task. He'll play a significant role in Part III. By the way, your moogle sprite is definitely shaping up to be an interesting character in Part II already!

Thanks again for all of your assistance guys! This will save me so much time later on--which is critical at this point since I have school and a wedding coming up in a couple of months. My goal is to try and get Parts II and III done before then!
Final Fantasy Tactics - Thief SSCC:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL73FB72C01D917FD6&feature=viewall

(Fully recorded LP; successes, failures, and most things inbetween)

Archael

June 23, 2008, 09:47:17 pm #62 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
:shock:

Are you getting married!?!??!!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you going against the  b          

i  

g

t            i          d              e?

Bastard Poetry

June 23, 2008, 10:17:02 pm #63 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Bastard Poetry
Like a fate I can't avoid, Voldemort!

Bastard Poetry

June 24, 2008, 03:11:36 am #64 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Bastard Poetry
Hey Cheetah,

If it's no trouble, please make all of the portraits 64x96, just like the portraits we use here. It'll make things easier for me if everything is the same size.

And I didn't know if this would help you out at all, since you probably already have everything you need, but I've attached a PNG with all of the portraits of the entire cast of Part II. These are what I'm working with right now. Then, any time you post a replacement, I'll go through all of my dialogue images and replace the ones I used with the updated portraits.

Bastard Poetry

June 24, 2008, 03:15:56 am #65 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Bastard Poetry
Oh, by the way, when I was talking about brighter contrasts and such, this is what I had in mind.

I wanted to make everything more vivid (the battlefields and everything would be brighter too). The only problem is that I would need to figure out how to make my emulator displays brighter like that, because I'd want in-game footage to match.

Cheetah

June 24, 2008, 02:54:54 pm #66 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Here is a preview of Dokki Boi for your feedback. It is hard to make that yellow and orange working in the portrait.

As for posting my final portraits by making them 64X96 and putting them into that template, that should be no problem. I will just post a copy of that pretty soon, and then just update the pic in the original post. While still posting small previews of individual portraits and saying when I updated the main template.

I have a few questions. Do you want the portraits blown up so they are kind of blurred and smoothed like the BastardPoetry thief, or exact pixel blow ups like the monk in your template. The exact pixel blow ups look kind of jagged, but are clearer. My suggestion would be to do the exact pixel blow ups because I think they will end up looking better in a greater variety of situations. But like you were saying earlier it will be easy to adjust this stuff at anytime so I guess you can experiement with both styles. I will just post a copy of both types for now I think.

The other question I have is more like advice and I decided to sleep on it and have a fresh look at it before I passed it along. I'm still not sure about how you are trying to make the colors look more vivid. I just find messing with contrasts and hues rather dangerous. But like I said it is your project and I don't want to mess with your artistic vision, and I could definitely be mistaken and it could look great. I would just suggest that you get some feedback on this from others.

Oh and any thoughts on how you want the female archer character to look?
Current Projects:

Bastard Poetry

June 24, 2008, 08:41:33 pm #67 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Bastard Poetry
I think the exact pixel blowups are going to work better, but I am still experimenting with it. Most of the portraits I have were taken from this site, and they're all like that. So if anything, it's more cohesive. But we'll see. Mainly, I need to play around with the video formats, to see how they look in HD compared to the battlefields.

Dukki Boi looks good so far.

As far as the contrasts go, I didn't have any luck figuring out a way to make the emulator display brighter anyways, so I'll stick with the normal contrasts for now. If everything were brighter like that, it'd look more vivid and unique. Kind of like Sin City or 300. (I'm not a huge fan of the movies, but I did really like the visual asthetics).

Archael

June 24, 2008, 08:54:37 pm #68 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Philsov is not as good as he says.

Anywho, you're good, even if you are a Bastard.

Kamikaze_Ice

June 24, 2008, 09:14:47 pm #69 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kamikaze_Ice
you say you want more "vivid" colors?
you also mentioned that you're using an emulator, so i'll assume your using one that uses PSEmuPro plugins (ePSXe and the like).

so to fix your color issue, try using some OGL2 shaders!
Guest, from Pete's message board has made a few shaders and stuck them in an archive file for easy use.
http://guest.50megs.com/ is where he has his download for the pack.

and for an easy way to tell what some shaders do, you can use this site which has some image comparisons.
http://emukim.wordpress.com/ps-shader/

not all shaders at that site are in Guest's shader pack.

it's also pretty easy to adjust one of the current shaders to give you more 'vivid' colors. just open and edit with notepad or whatever and away you go.

i personally use the 1.0 Daisy AA shader at level 4, with no texture filtering and no high-res textures. the Daisy variants have slightly deeper blacks, and slightly more vivid colors. (think the FULL or LIMITED HDMI color option on the PS3 to give you a good example)

i'm pretty sure you can change shaders "on the fly" if you use the PsxEven emu. then for certan scenes you could switch back and forth from different shaders. like for example, a black and white or sepia flashback type setting thing.

ps - i'm sure you can just do a quick search on GLSL shaders to find more, or information on how to adjust specific settings.

Bastard Poetry

June 25, 2008, 02:42:30 am #70 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Bastard Poetry
Thanks, Kamikaze!

The AA Daisy not only brightens things up a bit, but it seems to make some of my usual glitches stop glitching as well! Although, it doesn't quite make everything AS bright as I was envisioning.. but now that I'm looking at the game in motion like this, I think a little bit goes a long way. Things just look slicker and more vivid, without being overdone. Cheetah, I think this will work wonders, as far as happy mediums are concerned! It's not too dramatic, but it's enough to make things slightly more vivid than the average FFT video. Exactly what I wanted!

I may play around with some of these other plugins when I get a chance, but I'm already quite happy with Daisy for now. I'll post some pics or a video when I get a chance, just so you guys can see the difference.

Kamikaze, you've just landed yourself a spot in the credits, as well as this "Guest" fellow for creating the shader. Rock on!

Cheetah

June 25, 2008, 03:43:36 am #71 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
I will agree that this is a great happy medium! With your high quality vids this stuff should look real good too.
Current Projects:

Kamikaze_Ice

June 25, 2008, 04:42:45 am #72 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kamikaze_Ice
glitches with ogl2 you say? i dont have any glitches (like the ones VoldemortN7 had in his youtube videos; black map sometimes, skill page garbage when changing pages)

this setup should get you without glitches.

Plugin: Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.9
Author: Pete Bernert
Card vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
GFX card: GeForce 6600/AGP/SSE2/3DNOW!

Resolution/Color:
- 1024x768 Fullscreen - NO desktop changing
- Internal X resolution: 1
- Internal Y resolution: 1
- Keep psx aspect ratio: off (Stretching mode - 0: Stretch to full window size)
- No render-to-texture: off (Render mode - 0: Render to pbuffer-texture)

- Filtering: 0
- Hi-Res textures: 0
- TexWin pixel shader: on
- VRam size: 256 MBytes

Framerate:
- FPS limitation: on
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: Auto

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 2
- Framebuffer effects: 3
- Framebuffer uploads: 1

Misc:
- Scanlines: off
- Mdec filter: on
- Screen filtering: on
- Shader effects: 5/4
- Flicker-fix border size: 0
- GF4/XP crash fix: off
- Game fixes: off [00000000]

and about Guest.... oops, my bad. his handle is actually Guest(r).

Archael

June 25, 2008, 09:53:20 am #73 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Skill page garbage when changing pages = win  :shock:  :!:

Bastard Poetry

June 25, 2008, 12:46:47 pm #74 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Bastard Poetry
Here's the full sprite bitmap of your CoK avatar, friend.

EDIT: If you were looking for a full-sized CoK portrait, then just take it from the images I posted above, or wait for Cheetah to finish whatever he might do to yours.

Damn you, Voldemort, now everything I type seems so dirty!

Ha ha! But really, I'm working over the summer at an adult toy store. My entire life revolves around CoKs lately.

Bastard Poetry

June 26, 2008, 05:34:15 pm #75 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Bastard Poetry
Cheetah,

I hadn't really given much thought to how Dorminid should look. Basically, he's a nice young fellow who volunteered to be a female character because the series is lacking in estrogen. So make him SEXY!

Also, how did you edit the FRAME file?

Cheetah

June 26, 2008, 06:26:46 pm #76 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Can Dorminid just be the female Blue Mage I'm working on? Check out the "Female Sprites" topic in the sprites forum.

Editing the FRAME.BIN file was a bit tricky and not all that precise. Export the FRAME image as a BMP, open it in Graphics Gale to start. Now what I did is I just blacked out everything, making everything transparent, and then just in the Palette window of Graphics Gale made like 10 rows all solid black (each row of of 16 colors represents a palette option). Then I just opened up FRAME.BIN in ShiShiSpriteEditor and imported the saved FRAME.BMP over it and placed it in the game.

Now that was easy. Getting rid of specific stuff is going to be harder because you are going to need to know the palette of the file (everything color used by any of that stuff). Then you just black out the thing you know longer want and black out the palette colors that it uses. This is still probably all doable because I do have some idea of what the palette for the file looks right. But it will still be a little tough and could easily be messed up.
Current Projects:

Archael

June 26, 2008, 08:32:53 pm #77 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
@ BP:

I have been listening to Further / Heliopolis / Door of Celestial Palace all afternoon long.

Win much? I think so.  :D

Cheetah

June 26, 2008, 09:29:07 pm #78 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
I will try to get to your portrait next Voldemort. Any specific requests other then basing it loosely off the pic you posted?
Current Projects:

Dormin Jake

June 27, 2008, 03:05:11 am #79 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dormin Jake
It's totally up to BP and what he's already decided for my character, but for what it's worth, I definitely wouldn't mind if Dorminid were a Blue Mage.  One of my favorite classes, that.  Only thing is I originally envisioned her (him? me?) to be fairly mundane and painfully ordinary.  Someone who wallows in the depths of self-deprecation, as I am often wont to do, so Blue Mage might be a bit too flashy?  I dunno, up to BP.

As for portraiture, see my avatar for my clearly defined and overtly feminine facial features.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
We are Dormin. Thou art to bring us a tasty beverage.
  • Discord username: dorminjake