• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Pokemon by way of FFT?

Started by Devreckas, April 24, 2016, 05:27:53 pm

Devreckas

Hey just had a really loose idea here, but what if you had a pokemon/mtg style game using the fft format?  The objective could be to eliminate the enemy trainer / protect your own.  All "pokemon" would be given an innate status of "stop/immortal/invisible" that could only be relieved by the trainer.  The trainer would not be able to inflict damage on enemies, only cast spells that would mirror sending out a pokemon.  The trainer would have a limited mana (say 3), and it would cost 1 to send out pokemon, and absorb 1 when bringing back.  They could also casts buffs maybe.  It wouldn't necessarily have to use monsters from pokemon, it could use existing fft monsters.  Haven't played pokemon much, just seems like a cool idea. 

Jumza

http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=8906.0

Elric and Pride did some work on this, though I don't think there's any playable part of it :P
  • Modding version: PSX
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

3lric

Pride and I had planned to have it as 'pokemon' as possible. We had it setup to have 17 elements, as well as displaying, 'very effective' 'not very effective' etc when a monster was attacked. Trainers would have been stationary while pokemon moved around. We even had a way to 'catch' them though I don't remember what it was, as well as a way to evolve them through a location on the map. Pride had made a ton of ASMs for this project, though he lost interest, so the project died, I was not the one leading the project since I obviously have other projects I'm working on.

Pride

I set items that inflicted invite to various degrees of success along with level, remaining hp, and each "catchable" monster having different values to make some tougher to catch
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

Jogee

I really like that idea. It is something I want to work on if all the stuff is still around!

3lric

Not everything was made, and most of it was never made public, and not something you could do on your own unless you are comfortable with both eventing and ASM

Emmy

I still like some of the Pokemon sprites I saw in the events that were on Youtube.. :o

Were there any asm's made that were Pokemon moves/abilities that there are no equivalent of in vanilla fft?  Stuff like some of the things I've made (Endeavor, Serene Grace, Effect Spore, etc.), only I was wondering if there was other unique formulas and r/s/m.

3lric

There was an ASM made for evolution, as well as another for all the elements. The frame.bin was also heavily edited for 'Not very effective" "Super effective", etc

DeJ

I just stumbled across this and I am stunned that I haven't found it until now.

It's actually probably a negative discovery as I don't see any type of patch was made available.

I love the genuine idea, it's truly interesting. Obviously large questions remain as to how to exactly synthesize FFT and Pokemon but it's interesting to even know it's a possibility. It also seems Elric, that you and Pride did a bit of work on this one and had some steam.

I know the project is dead, which is a true shame - but I would be in full support of it receiving a nice 'Raise 2' from a Priest with the best possible zodiac compatibility. I would happily lend a hand in testing whatever needs to be tested. Is this project 100% not going to be picked up again?

Seems you were on a roll!

Jot5 of course first, and then this ;) I really have to learn how to edit stuff... so I can help out.

3lric

Quote from: DeJ on October 24, 2016, 04:17:01 pm
Jot5 of course first, and then this ;) I really have to learn how to edit stuff... so I can help out.

Well as I mentioned above, I was NOT the leader of this mod. I have enough of my own mods to worry about between FFT and Fallout. And you are right, Jot5 DOES come first, followed by TLW, the FF7-FFT mod and KoI. So no, unfortunately I will not be picking up Pokemon Tactics as the leader of the mod, and I also won't be a lackey for a Team Lead unless they know what they are doing when it comes to ASMing/Hacking

I appreciate the offer on helping to test when needed, however testing is the very last part of the mod process before release, and doesn't help with actually making the mod exist.

Sorry to disappoint, but I just have other things that need to be worked on and I don't see anyone else taking up that kind of endeavor like Pride and I did. I spent many many many hours and days on getting a bunch of the sprites ported over (though they admittedly looked a bit off in some cases due to the animation style) and then for it just to die out of no where just kind of left a bad taste in my mouth regarding this mod in general.

DeJ

I hear ya Elric and totally understand your frustrations.

Although I don't know how to mod FFT, I have spent countless hours customizing a variety of games only to have them 'stop braceleted'.
Age of Wonders 1, most notably - I swear you can customize everything in the map maker...

I just wanted to drop a comment - showing my support for all past and current projects and I was impressed by the early steam of this project.

Jot5 DOES come first, that is a shimmering statement my man!
What an amazing game that will be.

3lric

I appreciate your enthusiasm, it's always refreshing.  I also enjoy the FFT puns in your wording haha. Thank you for all the praise, we all appreciate it :D

DeJ

Hey you bet man!

That's why I'm here, to provide morale support and remain enthusiastic - you know, liven this place up a bit with a little 'Mbarrier' action and of course FFT puns. haha.

It's the least I can do for the community, keeping the FFT dream alive. Best game ever, and you guys are allowing me to play through a brand new experience on a familiar engine. Can't thank you all enough for that.