• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:30:25 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Event Sprites - Are they extractable?

Started by dotchan, April 13, 2017, 09:30:55 am

dotchan

April 13, 2017, 09:30:55 am Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 11:06:24 pm by dotchan
What it says on the tin - the cutscene events sometimes have custom sprites (for example, after Sand Rat Cellar, Algus tortures a Death Corps minion, and I'm pretty sure most of the sprites in there are not on the default sprite sheets for anybody).

I remember finding said sprite sheet in the iso, but not being able to attach the right palette(s) to see what they look like, but this was years ago, back when I was still actively sprite editing.

Is such a thing possible now with the tools that have developed since then?

3lric

• Modding version: PSX

dotchan

Awesome! How would I go about doing so?

Nyzer

They're known as EVTCHRs, and there's a bit about them in the Event Instructions wiki. I'd recommend looking at UnitAnim and LoadEVTCHR.

I've never done anything with 'em myself, so that's about all the info I can offer you.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

3lric

You can import and export them in the newest version of shishi, which can be found in the newest FFTP Suite on the wiki. Alternatively you can import and export them with Evtchrview.exe, which should also be on the wiki
  • Modding version: PSX

dotchan

For Shishi, what menu option do I use? (Sorry for the stupid questions, the wiki doesn't give instructions about that.)

RavenOfRazgriz

Quote from: dotchan on April 13, 2017, 07:36:18 pm
For Shishi, what menu option do I use? (Sorry for the stupid questions, the wiki doesn't give instructions about that.)

Make sure you're using FFTPatcher Suite .491 or higher.  Open your .ISO in ShiShi Sprite Editor and click the "Other Images" tab.  The drop down menu will contain the name of various .BIN and other types of files which contain the non-sprite images used by the game.  You're specifically looking for EVTCHR.BIN.

dotchan

Ah, ok, I was downloading the wrong version.  Thanks a lot!