• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 07:52:32 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

I broke Auto-Potion - oops...

Started by scorpiova, March 29, 2017, 09:34:06 am

scorpiova

Hey guys, in my ventures to create custom classes - I seem to have broken auto-potion. I am guessing that in my changes I did to chemist (removing the potions and items from their skill set) must have halted auto-potion from working. I had thought that units did not need to learn specific potion skills in order for auto-potion to trigger (as long as they are in your inventory). But I'm thinking I am wrong - and that units need to know the potion skills for auto-potion to trigger.

Is there any way to trigger auto-potion without the potion skills?
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL

Xifanie

Not really... you don't need to have the abilities learned, but Auto-Potion DOES use those abilities when firing based on which potions you have available.

If you have Potions (0xF0), it will use the Potion ability (0x170),
else if you have Hi-Potions (0xF1), it will use the Hi-Potion ability (0x171),
else if you have X-Potions (0xF2), it will use the X-Potion ability (0x172).

I am, however, not aware if removing the abilities from the skillset could cause this but I don't see how or why it would even do that.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

scorpiova

Quote from: Xifanie on March 29, 2017, 09:39:06 am
Not really... you don't need to have the abilities learned, but Auto-Potion DOES use those abilities when firing based on which potions you have available.

If you have Potions (0xF0), it will use the Potion ability (0x170),
else if you have Hi-Potions (0xF1), it will use the Hi-Potion ability (0x171),
else if you have X-Potions (0xF2), it will use the X-Potion ability (0x172).

Thanks for the reply.

So in that case - I am confused as to how I broke it. I kept potions in game (just not as skills to learn just to buy from stores). Yet for some reason auto-potion isn't  firing at all. After noticing it last night - I did some extensive testing and not once did auto-potion fire. That's why I was confused why it was not working as I did not initially think units needed to know "potion" "hi-potion" etc, in order to use it. My original assumption was as you explained.

Can you think of anything that might have caused interference with auto-potion firing? I made chemist a regular job to add my own skillset - but I never touched auto-potion itself.

The Woes of Modding :) Just when you think everything is working right - something new pops up to be an irritant lol.

Xifanie

Just try backtracking to figure out what caused it.

Normally, it's something people forget to tell us and that we can't guess.
But I've also never seen anyone attempt the sort of thing you're doing right now.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

scorpiova

So after further testing - it looks like either removing/normalizing the Chemist skill set or removing the potion/hi-potion/x-potion from the Chemist skillset breaks auto-potion.

Good to know when testing further skillset lineups.

Unless there is something else that I missed along the way.