• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:33:58 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

My attempt at a lulu sprite

Started by megef2010, November 02, 2014, 10:27:14 pm

megef2010

I'm new to spriting, and this is my first attempt at making my own sprite but here it is. This first pic is just the formation screen pic let me know what you think :D
Famous last words - "I saw this in a movie it'll be great!"

Angel

The chest could use some more detail, but it's already looking better than that JPEG thing that's been floating around for years. I'm liking it. Keep it up!
  • Modding version: PSX
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

megef2010

I went ahead and added detail to the chest like you asked, and I also added new colors for her hair so that making separate pallets will be easier for anyone who uses the sprite. I changed the background color to make it easier to see (it's kind of black on black on black right now XD).

Erosennin36

November 03, 2014, 05:53:41 pm #3 Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 06:19:24 pm by Erosennin36
COOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL I WHANT THAT Sprite on my game xD Please complete this Sprite xD

megef2010

November 03, 2014, 06:17:40 pm #4 Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 07:02:57 pm by megef2010
Huh, I never saw that lulu sprite before that's why I started mine...  :shock:

This lulu is based off of Meliadoul correct?

I added a portrait to the sprite and tried it out in the editor it looks like some of the arms are not working correctly because the person who edited it messed with the shape of the arms while adding the long sleeves :P

Other than that the animations seem fine to me.

Btw I still plan on finishing my own sprite, I'm too far in to quit now XD

Erosennin36

KKKKKK I FIND TODAY BUT THIS SPRITE NEED TO FIX FIX PLEASE I GIVE YOU Everything KKKKK MAN I AM CRAZY FOR LULU I LIKE SOO MUCH xD AND I WANT TO PLAY WITH IT xD anyone managed to fix it >,<

Angel

Quote from: megef2010 on November 03, 2014, 06:17:40 pm... it looks like some of the arms are not working correctly because the person who edited it messed with the shape of the arms while adding the long sleeves :P
Haven't bothered to try importing it, or even comparing to other sheets, but the arm craziness may be because type1/type2 switch.
  • Modding version: PSX
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

megef2010

November 03, 2014, 07:10:00 pm #7 Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 07:30:32 pm by megef2010
I checked that it's not the case...

XD I just looked back at the animations for that sprite the singing animation makes it look like the sprites chest is about to explode.

Vaan

Quote from: Toshiko on November 03, 2014, 07:43:59 am
The chest could use some more detail, but it's already looking better than that JPEG thing that's been floating around for years. I'm liking it. Keep it up!

Agreed.
"    One of these days I'll fly an airship of my own. I'll be a sky pirate, free to go where I will.    ,,
   ~ Vaan

megef2010

November 03, 2014, 10:33:43 pm #9 Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 05:01:47 pm by megef2010
Here's another update on the progress so far...

Just checked the animations, and everythings looking good so far except for some slight issues with the hair...

Kagebunji

I looked closer on the sprite, and there are quite a few things to fix. First of all, the detail Toshiko spoke of, you just added a shade at the bottom of the fur, it doesn't really work. Look at Female Animist sprite from JOT5 for perfect reference on that. Second thing is the hair, why is the darker shade inside, and brighter working as an outline? It can't be like that. Another thing is the fur at the end of the coat at back frames, you made chessboard shading, and it doesn't work in FFT style at all. I cannot also tell what's on her legs(the belt design thing from FFX), it's a rather complicated detail, and it won't translate into FFT no matter what you do, simplyfiyng is neccesary.

Still, I advise you use references and copy-paste sprite parts at first, it's easier to get grasp of the basics, and how it all works and looks in FFT. Doing custom parts is almost guaranteed to never work out at the beggining. Hope it helps you, good luck :)
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

megef2010

I see what you're saying as far as the details and stuff goes, but I'm having a hard time finding that animist sprite you were talking about... do you have a link for it?

Kagebunji

megef2010

Hmmm... thanks I'll work on that. Do you have any ideas for making Lulu's corset? I've tried it, but it did not go well...

Erosennin36

gooD very Good  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Friend can not stand to wait>. <

megef2010

November 04, 2014, 08:37:30 pm #15 Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 11:38:03 am by megef2010
So I worked on the animations a lot, and the shading as well :D

Kagebunji

Wanted to go ahead and do some fixes myself, but there are more issues than I thought. Mainly the palette, I erased the portrait, and it was still over 16 colors. Reason she is hard to see on black background is cause darkest shade you have is at 12 value, way too dark.

There are many issues with the sprite, and unless you want it to look on par with the FFT quality, you will need to start over. Pick the base that is suitable(guess you will settle on Meliadoul), then get the palette right, first of all. Palette is essential, without getting it right first, starting the sprite might end up in a mess later on. Pick ONLY colors from existing FFT sprites, that way you can be 100% sure to get colors that won't be saturated or stand out. Never pick your own colors, not after you get some experience at least.

I will be wiling to help you out with the concepting stage, just make sure to get the basic stuff down first.

megef2010

November 05, 2014, 06:22:46 pm #17 Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 08:35:44 pm by megef2010
I understand what you're saying about the colors being too dark for the game, and I've been planning on changing the pallete for a while. Also that pic I posted has parts of meliadoul's sprite sheet on there still that may explain why there are too many colors I have since gotten rid of all the colors that don't belong there. Here's the copy of the sprite that I've been testing in shishi, that should be a better reference. I fixed a few of the animations with the newly edited parts and I changed the color pallete so that all the colors are FFT friendly. :D

Erosennin36

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Friend you are improving is getting very good

megef2010

November 05, 2014, 09:42:26 pm #19 Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 04:50:18 pm by megef2010
Glad to hear it not all of the animations are finished just yet, but at least it's in working order now  :)
Let me know if you find any flaws in the animations other than the missing animations...
Note to anyone who may want to add their own edits I'd recommend saving the file as a 24 bit bitmap instead of 256 color bitmap (graphicgale's default bmp) otherwise the colors will saturate. You will have to convert it back to 256 when you try to view it in sprite editor though, the conversion itself does not cause issues.

Okay, so the image itself is finished, and I'm checking to make sure all the animations are working. I'll post it now and if you notice any issues let me know. Also as I said when I started the project the colors for the hair and outfit are separate, so adding alternate pallets shouldn't be a problem. However, the darker color found in the fir is also used as shading for the skin as well.

Just updated the animations again, I fixed animations 1-129 let me know if you see any problems.