• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:17:15 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

[Fangame] Pony RPG

Started by Kaijyuu, December 27, 2011, 02:34:12 am

Kaijyuu

• Modding version: PSX

Kaijyuu

January 05, 2012, 02:42:45 am #21 Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 02:50:02 am by Kaijyuu
Update bump~

Having gotten a couple spriters, progress has been made on two fronts. We now have an animated Twilight walking around the map, and you can switch characters to Pinkie and Fluttershy. Fluttershy even has some battle animations!

(pictures are big-ish)
http://i.imgur.com/b7o1m.png
http://i.imgur.com/DemPl.png

A new tutorial has been completely made too... well it's been coded and given content, anyway. You can see part of the new (placeholder) map in the second screenshot. EDIT: By which of course I mean the first screenshot.

Zaen

*yay!*

Will there happen to be an updated demo uploaded soon for testing purposes?
"Oh, God!! The Hokuten!!" ~Guard, Sand Rat Cellar

Kaijyuu

Soon? ahahahahaha

Actually we're shooting (right now) for a 1 chapter + tutorial before another real demo. Need to get the mane 6 mostly animated and the interface/etc presentable. You know, basic game stuff on the visual side. My suspicion is a few weeks at soonest (lots of sprites to be made).

I might have a new showoff boss too~

Dokurider

Oh snap.

I've been seeing this every time I got to Ponychan. I didn't know you made this, Kaijyuu.

Kaijyuu

Wait seriously? I thought it kinda vanished into the aether over there.

I don't visit often, so :X

Dokurider

Isn't the current number one topic your project?

Kaijyuu

Much as I'd love to believe it, I find nothing on ponychan about it. Here's my dead ponychan thread.

Looking at the collab section, there's the fanimation that's big, along with fighting is magic. Neither are mine, obviously. Doesn't look like any of the other RPGs have gained much of a following, either (wonder what happened to MLP Online? That looked like it was going places).

On the bright side, while looking around, I see that I got mentioned on equestria gaming a couple days ago. Fair assessment (except the "brilliant programmer" part; I'm very much a novice). My first time being hit by the four point scale, being smack dab in the middle. I'm so proud.

Maybe you were referring to equestria gaming instead of ponychan? I'm currently the top topic there, but they don't get news that often so.

Zaen

Hmm.. any updates on your progress? I found the 2.3.2 update and feel that's a MUCH better tutorial design. It has better progression and oddly makes more sense.

Also, the dialogue addition definitely made it feel more rounded. For some reason, it crashed upon opening the menu for the second time, so I'll test it out a bit more to see how having the option of different ponies in the party affects the combat.

Kaijyuu

I've since fixed that crash. Some wackiness with map sprites.

Well I hope anyway. There's one crazy crash with game mode transitions (map -> battle, map -> map, etc) I can't trace because it happens extremely rarely.

As for progress, I've been working on ponyville and some new dialog portraits. It'll be a few days before I have a new internal build for that. Since you played 2.3.2, you've seen the placeholder maps; those won't work, period, for ponyville even as a demonstration. I'm making some semi-presentable maps for it instead.

After talking to my team, we're going to have a demo 3 (probably) once ponyville and the short area directly after it is done. So, prologue + 1 chapter. I say probably because we'll need a good portion of the mane 6's sprites done, and if content out paces it, I'll be continuing on with more gameplay. Placeholder graphics for enemies/etc is much easier to get by with than player sprites.

Zaen

Ok, awesome to hear. I'll be patiently waiting.

Zaen

How are things coming along on this? Still waiting "patiently". :P

/note: Another Applejack episode this week. What is this season, Applejack-a-palooza? Hah, you must be excited.

Kaijyuu

Current plan: Demo on the first of Feb. Not a particularly awesome one; just the first chapter, with a boatload of placeholder art.

Player sprites are coming along. My lack of tools are biting me, though; it takes a lot of time to make in-game cinematics since I'm currently hardcoding them.

And yes, Last Roundup = best episode.

Hopefully this next one's as good.

Bastard Poetry

This season has had a lot of Rarity-centered episodes as well.

Pinkie Pie finally got an episode about her, last time, but Fluttershy is getting ignored and THAT BOTHERS ME!
Final Fantasy Tactics - Thief SSCC:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL73FB72C01D917FD6&feature=viewall

(Fully recorded LP; successes, failures, and most things inbetween)

Zaen

MOAR FLUTTERSHY.

But if not, that would be, um.. ok, I guess... Wait, what am I saying? MOAR.

MysticKnightFF5

May I suggest using YBAX for enemy selection? If you have more than 4 at any given time, you can set up asking for row first then enemy. (highlight with the corresponding letter above them)

EDIT: Also, I'd absolutely love to help test.

Kaijyuu

Quote from: Dunkelritter Luna on January 28, 2012, 12:18:16 pm
May I suggest using YBAX for enemy selection? If you have more than 4 at any given time, you can set up asking for row first then enemy. (highlight with the corresponding letter above them)

That's... an interesting idea.

I'm reminded of Mark of Kri; enemies were tied to buttons. I dunno if I could implement something similar.

Hrm... there would be a ton of hurdles I can see right now. Not only are there going to be more than 4 enemies, keeping the buttons consistent without the player having to scan the screen every time they want to use an ability would be difficult to do.

MysticKnightFF5

Tie the buttons to the enemy from the get-go and leave those buttons tied to them throughout battle (I.E. Set Atma1 to rowA and ColumnB as the battle begins, so even if Atma2 dies, he stays to RowA ColumnA, and Atma1 stays to RowA ColumnB) in other words, use variables inside the class itself then assign the appropriate column/row to each monster when the battle is initiated.

Kaijyuu

Have a crappy internal build.

Most the improvements are behind the scenes, not new content. Still there's a bunch new. Not guaranteed to not be buggy as hell.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm about to drop dead from illness.

/zzz