• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:21:34 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Arena battle videos and discussion

Started by PX_Timefordeath, August 04, 2010, 06:49:51 pm

Barren

well that was unexpected. I was thinking that silentkaster was going to slaughter me with his physical attacks and status but yea my AoE somehow got the better of him and missing charm in round 2 helped my chances as well. I had low expectations about my team and yet it somehow manages to win pretty much all the battles it fought so far. GG silentkaster, Derpy chemist will forever be derpy
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
You dare cross blades with me?

silentkaster

Definitely need a few switcheroos on this team. Chemist should be 12 speed...ugh. With little revival, I need a faster derpy chemist, but I loved just how derpy he was. He lived up to his name. I have a few ideas to improve the team...I will make CT5 proud! Gg Barren.

I have a couple videos to upload, hopefully tonight. If anyone has any music requests, let me know. Otherwise, gonna go with some old fall backs!!
You've stepped in puddles less shallow than me.

The Damned

(Hey, silentkaster, when you post, remind me to post in the Balance thread before I forget again please.)

Speaking of music, I forgot to say that I find the sudden influx of Sonic music rather amusing, though I'm overall fine with it.

Ah, Mimes will forever disappoint it me seems, but in this case, it was mostly the Chemist's fault for silentkaster's (inevitable?) loss, which already got delayed by HP Restore going on off the Monk twice.This especially in the second round where he could have easily stood right behind the Paladin's body and Phoenix Down'd it to cause the Mime to Mimic--provided the Mime didn't spontaneously just fail like it does sometimes--it and revive the downed Monk. Sigh.

Even with my painfully low expectations for the A.I., it keeps to disappointing after all these years.

Quote from: White Knight Wiegraf on February 23, 2015, 01:54:46 pm
A bit late to comment on my match, but...

Mime has some problems it seems. Perhaps I should have studied them a bit more, but learning the hard way is fine, too. I've noticed it never tried to Mimic bow attacks. Does that have something to do with the equipped weapon? I assume you guys probably know more than I do, I don't really watch other matches.

Constantly picking on the Geo really helped Otabo here. My Geo is the only big AoE damage dealer, and keeping her down (or Stopped/Berserked in this case) prevented that. I'm not sure what she has equipped, but some tweaks are probably needed for that character as well. I'll have to look into that, probably later this week. Good match.

Oh. You are still around. Well, to answer your question, you can look at the post about (new) Mimes I made in the A.I. Team Building Guide 2.0.

To clear things up without you having to look there, though, Mimes' weapons tend to change and outright disappear one anyone else on their team makes a melee attack, though there was a hazy issue with weapon-lending between enemy Mimes that still hasn't been cleared up. On top of that, Defending, Charging & Performing seems to "glitch" permanently on Mimes if they get killed while Defending or interrupted while Charging & Performing, with the latter being while White Magic among many other job classes are basically worthless on them unfortunately: they get interrupted by anything their teams do and their previously Charging spells don't go off at all.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

silentkaster

Barren

A bit disappointed at how round 3 turned out but its clear that this team doesn't like small maps. Still Damned you earned the win. GG

CT5Holy

Thanks silentkaster!

Ninja actually doesn't do that much, esp once out of berserk. Lancer does even less between WM duty and Javelin. Also holy crap at those Southern Crosses. Pretty sure the only reason I got round 1 was killing archer before he did anything +Holy killing the Chemist + Mimic Daravon landing on Paladin.
gg!
Winner of the 1st FFT 1.3 AI Tourney

Shintroy

Mime Team vs Tank/Status 12 Speed Team

Round 1 - 3v4 for the majority of the match. My lack of AOE damage couldn't keep up with the wish and chakra usage. A convincing win for silentkaster this round imo.

Round 2 - Chemist with Blaze gun using the map to her advantage really helped this round. Lack of AOE again brought it back for silentkaster. Insult on the chemist finally closed it out.

Round 3 -Really close round. Came down to who could tank who. Unfortunately for silentkaster his units didn't recover high enough to not be KO'd by the chemist or Thief.

GG. Both teams were showcased.

Absorb vs buff/debuff mime team
Betting on Barren taking this. AOE and absorb sort of courters this mime build.

Round 1 - pretty hype. Barren's comeback potential really shined. Really close even in the end too. It all came down to the mime and chemist AI. Derpy is probably a bit too derpy.

Round 2 - Too one sided. Probably just a really bad map.

Balanced/Lasting Team vs OHKO/Speed Team
All on Truelight. The paladin is just too good.

Round 1 - Good track to open up with. Greating opening for Holy. Keeps momentum for the entire round too. 246 Holy on a Shelled Paladin is insane (probably has 70 faith though). Did CT5Holy update this team? Looks a lot stronger now. I don't remember it having this many options.

Round 2 - Slight advantage for Holy up until the 3way southern cross from Truelight's Archer. There's no recovering from that in this match up at least.
----
I must not remember Holy's team correctly. It actually does come back and strong thanks to the Paladin not playing to her strengths triggering HP Restore...
What an odd map for Truelight this round. He was pincered for the entire round almost. If the Scholar had revived a bit sooner this wouldn't be going to the 3rd round.

Round 3 - Shoutouts to ATLA. Quick round, but it could've gone either way. The large map could've been worse than it was for Holy since his speed and mobility gap makes it so the team seperates for a few turns. GG

Haven't been able to visit in a while. Wasn't aware Verizon's been acting up in the east coast. Just reset my router today. I'll finally be able to update my teams.
Some day my people will be free.

TrueLight

Good back and forth match. My Archer and Samurai being able to one shot the Ninja really put the Lancer on revive duty. Paladin continues doing her job very well. GG CT5Holy.

FFT Arena 1.39C - Reks (Till Death Do Us Part) vs. Silentkaster (OHKO)

FFT Arena 1.39C - The Damned (Pilgrimage of Repentance) vs. Barren (Suicide Squad)
  • Modding version: PSX

Reks

Quote from: TrueLight on March 02, 2015, 04:34:28 pm
Good back and forth match. My Archer and Samurai being able to one shot the Ninja really put the Lancer on revive duty. Paladin continues doing her job very well. GG CT5Holy.

FFT Arena 1.39C - Reks (Till Death Do Us Part) vs. Silentkaster (OHKO)

FFT Arena 1.39C - The Damned (Pilgrimage of Repentance) vs. Barren (Suicide Squad)

That teams of yours is something else.

Oww.

At least my evasion did what it was supposed to do.

Looks like I need more status healing, so thank you, Truelight, and GG Silentkaster!
  • Discord username: Reks#0128

silentkaster

One thing that I've noticed about this team of mine in particular is that even though three people can revive, they often choose not to (since one shotting an enemy is a greater priority than sandbagging in most cases.) This is why I lost Round 2 primarily, since they ignored the dead units until it was way too late. I thought having a match with two death users was a lot of fun though, and if that Paladin had ever gotten unfrogged in Round 3, it might have cost me the match since she could have turned things around. Dancer was pretty much just there for Anti Sandbag since she couldn't one shot anyone. GG Reks!

Barren

March 08, 2015, 01:46:54 pm #3891 Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 02:12:05 pm by Barren
Following the two matches I did I also provided some pro tips for both ShadowDragon15 and White Knight Wiegraf since I figured both teams has potential to be better than what they are. So enjoy  :P

Also for some reason my Camtasia Studio recorder froze during the recording during the first video but it gets back on sync at Round 2. So note to those who record, if for some reason your recorder freezes during recording pause the game if you can and stop the recording so you can record again from where you left off

FFT Arena 1.39c - ShadowDragon15 (Test Tube Baby) vs Shintroy (The Veldt)

FFT Arena 1.39c - silentkaster (Dihydrogen Monoxide) vs White Knight Wiegraf  (革命機)

Elmdork

Hey, nice to see to you all! I put together a 139 for the occasion, would love to see it up against some of the new designs. Special thanks to silentkaster for letting me know the update arrived. You guys rock!
The bird of Hermes is my name
Eating my wings to make me tame
  • Discord username: rouroni elmdor

Shintroy

March 08, 2015, 05:50:40 pm #3893 Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 08:25:38 pm by Shintroy
Berserk Mime team vs Fire Absorb
Looks evenly matched due to my team only having no AOE potential versus Shadow's aoe and blind procs.

Round 1 - Went worse than I imagined near the end. My team could not close out the round even when units were out numbered. No 999 from Otabo's Dancer either. RIP.

Round 2 - Good match for ShadowDragon. Didn't think the smaller map would favor him this much. Seeing Grand Cross be this effective makes me wish I went with my original plan on going with a Grand Cross version of this team. (I will after this match though)

Round 3 - Even with some battle songs the team lost.  I guess I relied too much on the team's strengths to outweight its possible weaknesses. Did not think I could overwork Truelight's Paladin like that.

GG. Going to update the Veldt into a grand cross team. Also like Barren, I'm going to suggest some units/builds for your team.

The Squire - You had him well built equipment wise. I only would've changed the headgear on him since your team has Raise and Raise 2. I'd go with Green Beret or Twist Headband. Ability wise, Barren hit the nail on the head with Magic Defend up and support abilities. Definitely try out Attack up or Concentrate because it leaves you with more JP for our squire to be more versatile. Throw Stone would be great just for anti phoenix down/wish and spellcasting. For the reaction I'd go with Absorb MP or MP Restore.  Go with the Absorb MP if you take my advice on getting a mage on your team

The Bard - I'd replace him with a caster that deals fire damage. Black Mage/Summoner would work well. You'll have MP Restoration through Carbunkle,, Fire and Moogle healing, and Fairy for revival.

Wizard
Summoner (Fairy, Moogle, Carbunkle, Odin for fire absorb units also inflicts death
??? Maybe Counter Magic if you have the JP
Short Charge
Move-MP Or teleport since you have carbunkle
Fire Rod

Black Hood or Holy Miter
Robe of Lords
Diamond Armlet

The Ninja - Definitely needs to be reworked. The weapons are fine, but everything else imo needs to change. I'd make her primary goal getting in and landing the faith/oil, so I'd want her to have no move-1, and some PA gear. Twist Headband and Black Costume  with an Angel Ring. She'll be able to absorb MP and hang with the squire without getting blinded by his GCross. As for her abilities. I'd go with Draw Out and Masamune, Overwhelm or Attack Up. Maybe Warpath, Move+1, Flee, or Move HP Up for movement.

The Paladin  -  He's a holy paladin so you want him be able to tank some hits and support your other units.

50 Brave for Reaction Purposes
70 Faith because you have white magic and it gives him 60% chance to use his reaction
Paladin (Nurse, Transfusion, Reraise 500 JP)
White Magic ( 300 JP Raise, Esuna) May want to replace Reraise with Wall
Absorb MP
Unyielding - Lets him tank magical and physical Damage better.
Move-MP Up
1000 JP on unlocking classes. 1100 on abilities. 800 on spells. 100-0 extra MP depending if you go with Wall or not
-----------
Tactician's Blade
Zypher Shield
Platina Helmet
Robe of Lords
Diamond Armlet
Immune to Don't Move, Don't Act, Silence, Poison, Oil, Stop

Water Absorb vs Unorthodoxed Mime(?) Team
Betting on Silentkaster to take it. I am interested in seeing WKW's team in action though.

WKG was way too outclassed in this match up due to his team build. GJ to taking a round off silentkaster though. Was not expecting that.

It looked like you were going for a well rounded team with a Mime on it so I'll just give tips on how to execute the team better.

Samurai - Main: Tank. Sub: Status (Insult/Kiyo)
This unit is based off of Otabo's team "Maximum Disrespect".
Very Tanky. Uses Blind, Poison and berserk to make him even more tanky. With Meatbone Slash he could have even more versatility.

40-60 Brave
40-50 Faith (I'd go with 50-50)
Samurai - Masamune - Kiyomori (maybe Murasame)
Talk Skill - Insult (Mimic Daravon if you have the JP)
Finger Guard, Meatbone Slash, HP Restore(if you're above 50% reaction) Dragon spirit (if you go 40-40)
Unyielding
Move +1 or Flee
--
Bizen Boat (100% Silence), Kiyomori(for Murasame and talk skills) Muramasa

Crystal Helmet (DA)
Diamond Armor (DM, Berserk, Blind, Poison)
Feather Boots or Cherche (I'd go with Cherche)

Asura is better for high PA classes. Not so much Samurai. So I got rid of Asura the weapon and ability.

The Dancer - Main: Ranged Damage/Status Alt: ???
I think Barren's build is perfect for your team. Use that

The Mime - I'll say Barren's call on making an item bot was great, but if you really really want a white mage Mime, I think you'd have to make an entirely different team. Reason is, this team doesn't really get anything out of the Mime being there. Almost any other white magic build would be better than having a white mage mime. The mime will most likely be out of range to mimic anything other than maybe murasame and masamune from the Samurai.

40/70
Mime
White Magic (Raise, Wall, Cure, Esuna 600)
Damage Split (300)
Short Charge (400)
Move-MP Up (500)
1250 Unlocks, 1200 Abilities, 600 spells
--
Chakra Band (or Platina Helm +Light Robe+ Defense Ring)
Gold Armor or Platina Armor
Setiemson or Genji Gauntlet

If you ever make a mime caster you want it to have near instant casting so it doesn't get interuppted by mimic. I wouldn't suggest a mime as your primary healer either. Paired with another support unit I'd say it would work) Either way try this build out. Worked for me)

Also read The Damned's Mime post here. Has probably everything you need to know about mime. Especially the reason I wouldn't recommend a weapon on a mime, especially if other units attack with weapons (can work for spellcaster teams that never attack)
http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=7896.0

The Geomancer - Main: Odin - Alt Support/Geomancy

40/70
Geomancer (Left Over JP. No lavaball/ice damage)
Summon Magic (Moogle, Fairy, Odin450)
Counter Flood (200)
Magic Attack UP (400) For Geomancy damage
Move-MP Up (500)
1000 Jobs - 1100 Abilities - 450+ Spells 2550
----
Giant Axe (for geomancy/counterflood) Could change into a Mystic Blade instead...
Genji Shield (for geomancy damage
Holy Miter
Linen Robe
Magic Ring

Similar, if not the same as Barren's(not sure). I wouldn't use titan since the mime doesn't get anything out of mimicking it. Odin as her main spell is much better. I'd go with Linen Robe since she could use a bit more HP.

Thanks for the videos so far silentkaster, Truelight, Holy, and Barren and welcome back R.Elmdor, WK Weigraf, and ShadowDragon15.
Some day my people will be free.

ShadowDragon15

Thanks for the video and the help Barren. I ended up choosing your lancer idea. But, If I tried to implement all your suggestions for the Squire, I would have had went over the JP Cap, so I only dropped Float. Figured I wouldn't need it as much as revival/status healing. The team has been updated, so another would be great from anybody. GG Shintroy.
Strategy is just magical.

Kurosabes

March 09, 2015, 03:27:53 pm #3895 Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 03:35:02 pm by White Knight Wiegraf
Thanks for the tips, Barren and Shintroy.

I had some super long reply prepared going into detail on those tips and ended up updating my team before finishing the post, so I'll just go over something that's still somewhat relevant. I took some of your advices, but I was hesitant on some things, on the Samurai in particular. The reason being that I've been known as 'Behemoth' for a long time on the internet, and this character has some traits of mine. For one, I dislike Talk Skill whether it's on the giving or receiving end, because it's not evadeable without a specific reaction and it's instant, which makes Yin Yang seem to pale in comparison. Maybe I'm wrong, I just haven't seen Yin Yang in action yet, all I keep seeing is talk. This is why I have a large array of status immunities, with one immunity taking priority over others...

The Charm status. In vanilla tournaments, I've seen many decisive victories suddenly turn around just because of this and I'm pretty sure it has happened here as well. And the AI ignoring Charmed allies doesn't help either. I do hope at least some monsters will have Charm immunity when they come around... I could go on a long rant about Charm but to make it short, you'll never see me steal hearts or receive this status unless some archer breaks my armor and happens to know Charm as well.

I did keep a White Magic mime. I'll give White Magic a second chance by switching to Raise instead of Raise 2 (quicker and more accurate). If he still derps in a corner I will probably change the skillset.
Round 1
Went as expected for the water absorbers, with the many Maelstroms, Squire being constantly on the offense and Don't Act procs (Blackmail) eventually overwhelming the tanks.

Round 2
My team had a great mobility on this difficult terrain, which might have been the cause of my win here, despite the Mime being absent for most of the fight. This was my team's first win ever as well.

Round 3
I have a difficult time remembering what happened actually, I watched these battles yesterday. I remember it went really quick with the Mime dropping on the ground early on, Geo decided he was not worth bringing back up for some reason and went on a suicide offense, and Dancer just drowning in the water. Shows that I was really due for a change.

Edits because Font went really really tiny.
  • Discord username: Kurosabes#0312

silentkaster

Just FYI for everyone, I won't be able to record for a little while. Got some stuff going on and it's taking priority over recording (it takes me a while to make and edit each video, crappy as they are :P) so I'll be back online when I can but might not be for a little bit. I'll still be around though...just not recording for a bit! Thanks, and sorry everyone!

Kurosabes

March 10, 2015, 12:32:59 am #3897 Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 02:12:41 am by White Knight Wiegraf
No problem silentkaster. I have some video experience thanks to a vanilla tournament I ran last year, so if needed, I can record as well.

Well, it doesn't look like it's going to be possible because I can't access the memcard generator, I don't have Excel and OpenCalc freezes trying to open it after a while. It seems overly complicated to fix this issue so it doesn't look like I'll be able to record matches since I can't generate any teams unfortunately.
  • Discord username: Kurosabes#0312

Barren

I can do some more Arena battles this Thursday coming up as well as over Spring Break which is next week so if anyone needs me to do a match for them and possible offer pro tips at the end of the video please PM me and I will find the time to do so

silentkaster

In response to White Knight Wiegraf regarding Ying Yang and Charm:

Talk Skill is probably, in most cases, a bit better than Ying Yang. Although Ying Yang does have a wider variety (Zombie, Petrify, Blind, etc) but it isn't instant and is Faith based. However, the Oracle class has two abilities critical to Mages MP regeneration, plus defense up which could make the Oracle class worth using over Mediator to conserve JP and get the same abilities desired. (Also Oracles can equip Certain weapons mediators can't which may sway you to use them.) So it's kinda a wash for the most part.

Charm, while still a dangerous status, is not nearly as dangerous as it is in Vanilla. First reason is that there are many more immunities to charm in Arena. Second, Esuna, Stigma Magic and Heal all cure charm and units MAY (not guaranteed) use it to cure themselves or allies from Charm, but these abilities don't cure Charm in Vanilla. Finally, in a Vanilla tournament there are usually Equipment restrictions so in order to make an effective team, you are almost forced to use the highest equipment available. Therefore, many times in a Vanilla tournament, the lower HP units have overall combined with the equipment they're using might make knocking an ally out of charm more trouble than it is worth. However in Arena, you might be better off equipping bags or a less powerful weapon (or even no weapon) which makes knocking an ally out of charm at least a little more likely and safe. Therefore, if your strategy revolves around not getting charmed, at least in Arena, you may find yourself at a significant disadvantage. Just my thoughts though.