• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 10:33:36 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

SCC Tourney anyone?

Started by Barren, July 21, 2015, 08:32:16 am

If we were to have a SCC tourney, how do you want the tournament go?

Regular Double Elimination Rules + Regular Arena Rules
3 (18.8%)
Regular Double Elimination Rules + No JP Cap & 2x Ability/1x Item Only Rules
7 (43.8%)
Regular Round Robin Rules + Regular Arena Rules
3 (18.8%)
Regular Rounds of Swiss + Regular Arena Rules
3 (18.8%)
Just wait until the next patch comes out
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: August 04, 2015, 08:36:45 am

gatebuster202

I'll toss my hat in as interested, but I'll have little time to play test... Anyone willing to walk a noob through the team creation process :). (Also 4 Mimes... I have visions of match 3 or 4 from this last season in my head... So much Megaflare.)

Are we expecting a update to Arena??
  • Modding version: PSX
Winner of the 2nd FFT Arena SCC Tourney. -Geomancers

Barren

July 21, 2015, 11:39:29 am #21 Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 11:46:41 am by Barren
Quote from: gatebuster202 on July 21, 2015, 11:28:50 am
I'll toss my hat in as interested, but I'll have little time to play test... Anyone willing to walk a noob through the team creation process :). (Also 4 Mimes... I have visions of match 3 or 4 from this last season in my head... So much Megaflare.)

Are we expecting a update to Arena??

Welcome gatebuster202! You can make your own team with help from the Master's GuideThere are rules to follow when posting your team so keep that in mind. If you are unfamiliar to how to make a team then read this. To generate your team you download the microsoft excel file that is in the FFT Arena 1.39c thread and simply follow the instructions from there. You will need PPF-O-Matic to patch FFT Arena onto a clean ISO file of Final Fantasy Tactics. There is also a spreadsheet from microsoft excel that allows you to generate teams. PM me or any other member if you are having issues. Once you are set you can post your team in the teams submissions thread for regular arena matches. As far as entering the tournament when I get back in a couple of weeks I'll be accepting team submissions via PM

We should be ready to update Arena sometime towards the end of the year (hopefully, as long as FFMaster will be around to make the changes)
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
You dare cross blades with me?

Jumza

Maybe we could allow one mime max per team that has the rest of the team's main skillset as a forced secondary (not effecting the mimes R/S/M though). I would agree to that. A team with 2 or 3 mimes is definitely pushing it.
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Mudvayne

Quote from: Barren on July 21, 2015, 11:05:59 am
As I told Jumza here you are free to pick whatever class you desire. But you must stick with that one class. For example a team of four wizards or four samurais

So there is no limit to one participant per class? I'm not sure how I feel about that.
What's stopping the tourney consisting of 7 people picking samurai, 6 people picking geomancer, and 6 people picking white mage and we have a tourney showcasing 3 classes.
The only way I can see this working is limiting it to 2 participants per each class available. But even then... people picking their class earlier may have an "advantage".

I feel like limiting the amount of people allowed to pick any one class is best. But then having us being able to CHOOSE our class sucks for those who don't get an early pick and may end up with a class they don't like.

I think having RNG decide out fate with what classes we get, limited to one/two participants per class, would be best.

Unless I am interpreting this incorrectly.

edit: On the mime issue. One per team with a forced secondary of your primary class would be okay with me.

Barren

I think that having one mime per team is fine because we don't want the game to crash.

gatebuster202

July 21, 2015, 11:59:12 am #25 Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 12:05:44 pm by gatebuster202
Thanks Barren, your doing an awesome job as organizer. If you need help with recording, PM me the specifics of what and how, and I'll give it a shot as I'm team building. (Or point me to a relevant thread). I've been lurking around for a few years and watched arena grow, so it will be fun to participate.

Hopefully Arena will inspire my brain, as my patch is mostly done on the ability front, and I need ideas on balancing it. (And while this is competitive, and totally different, it will give me way more AI exposure.)

@Mudvayne - I can, kind of, agree. However setting up a limit up front might be restrictive as well. How bout we open a second thread and start discussing who might want a particular class, and then we will see if their is (alot of) overlap. Two or three of any class should be fine. (Maybe the first four of a class once registration opens.)

Edit: We have interest from at least 12 people as of right now? And Round Robin currently has the most votes in two forms. So, (and this can expand based on participants.) we can do, three of a given class. And they get locked into a "round" together so only the best wins. Or, we do four and they are forced into seperate rounds from each other with no overlap. (4 "rounds" are easy to manage as well.) Of, course, Swiss and Regular would be more effected by an OP class in the meta.

Barren

Quote from: gatebuster202 on July 21, 2015, 11:59:12 am
Thanks Barren, your doing an awesome job as organizer. If you need help with recording, PM me the specifics of what and how, and I'll give it a shot as I'm team building. (Or point me to a relevant thread). I've been lurking around for a few years and watched arena grow, so it will be fun to participate.

Hopefully Arena will inspire my brain, as my patch is mostly done on the ability front, and I need ideas on balancing it. (And while this is competitive, and totally different, it will give me way more AI exposure.)

@Mudvayne - I can, kind of, agree. However setting up a limit up front might be restrictive as well. How bout we open a second thread and start discussing who might want a particular class, and then we will see if their is (alot of) overlap. Two or three of any class should be fine. (Maybe the first four of a class once registration opens.)

I think it will be fair yea

Elmdork

July 21, 2015, 12:44:23 pm #27 Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 01:00:38 pm by Rouroni Elmdor
I'd be down for round robin 1 ability/item.

Don't like the 2 class only though.. seems unfair, though I'd be surprised if anybody wants to do what I do.

@ Barren: All good, man. Part of why these turn out so great is the effort that goes into them, this is seriously the coolest site ever. My opinion is heard, let's hear the rest of em'
The bird of Hermes is my name
Eating my wings to make me tame
  • Discord username: rouroni elmdor

Barren

Quote from: Rouroni Elmdor on July 21, 2015, 12:44:23 pm
I'd be down for round robin 1 ability/item.

Don't like the 2 class only though.. seems unfair, though I'd be surprised if anybody wants to do what I do.

Well this was something that gatebuster and mudvayne brought up and I figured I can at least ask everyone if they would like that sort of ruling. If more people would rather not, then let's not fix what's not broken.

I just want to have a tournament where everyone will be happy

gatebuster202

Honestly, it's more about seeing a broader group of classes and wanting people to think out of the box. (Though Oracle and Squire will see little love anyway.)

I'd love to see what variations of 4 thieves everyone else can come up with or four ninjas with equip abuses... But in all honesty, I fear that we'd have four classes in close competition and everyone else would be SoL. I personally wanted to see what I could do with Monk, Archer or Geomancer. Only one of those classes would be a strong, easy SCC pick. (Monks=Something for everything.)

An alternative. We can ban three classes. One high speed class, one high MA Class, one high PA Class. These classes are only banned as the SCC pick. You are still free to use them as secondaries.

Mudvayne

I think having every class be used by someone is a must. I would like to see every class showcased, assuming we have enough players registered for the tourney, of course, but I don't think that will be the issue.

Having every class showcased in something like a SCC tourney will be great for taking notes for the next set of updates we want implemented into arena. Every class will be shown, and every class will then be able to demonstrate its strengths and weaknesses. Honestly I don't feel like any class is at an inherit advantage strictly due to it being a SCC tourney, most classes are flexible and able to fill more than just 1 role on a team. If we are also allowing 1 mime per team? Yeah... we need to have every class be used by someone.

gatebuster202

Sorry, Mudvayne I meant my post to go in the other thread. While I can agree, in liking to see everyone post a different class, I also know we are a hyper competitive bunch who would rather not be saddled with a "disadvantage". And yes randoming out a class to people who've never used it would suck.

(If I got squire or Oracle I'd be very perplexed at how to make their skillsets effective on four characters + secondaries.)

dw6561

So let me get this straight. Does this use the rules from vanilla FFT where we can only use abilities from the class we pick? Sounds interesting, but making a team of all geomancers sounds like quite the challenge if I can't put any revival on them.
This is FF Tactics. All the Tactics you can ever have, all in one byte.

gatebuster202

Not a SSCC, (Stright Single Class Chalenge) just a Single Class Challenge. (So youvstill get secondaries.

Barren

Here's an example of what can happen if we have the SCC tourney to be contested with the No JP cap rule + 1x ability + equip

Gaignun

I'm with Mudvayne: Ensure that an equal number of players choose each job.  Single-character challenges are inherently imbalanced, so we should place the focus on creativity over competition.  Otherwise, only the most versatile classes will be chosen.

Of course, some teams will be weaker than others.  This is why I vote for a Swiss tournament; even if you lose every game, you still get to enjoy watching your team compete until the end of the tournament.

As for assigning classes, we could allow players to provide their first and second (and possibly third) choice of class, then assign by lottery.

I can't say that I am a big fan of 1 item/ability restrictions.  SCC requires four units to share the same primary skillset.  If only one unit can learn each ability within that skillset, then there's going to be wasted potential among the remaining units.

Barren

Quote from: Gaignun on July 21, 2015, 03:04:51 pm
I'm with Mudvayne: Ensure that an equal number of players choose each job.  Single-character challenges are inherently imbalanced, so we should place the focus on creativity over competition.  Otherwise, only the most versatile classes will be chosen.

Of course, some teams will be weaker than others.  This is why I vote for a Swiss tournament; even if you lose every game, you still get to enjoy watching your team compete until the end of the tournament.

As for assigning classes, we could allow players to provide their first and second (and possibly third) choice of class, then assign by lottery.

I can't say that I am a big fan of 1 item/ability restrictions.  SCC requires four units to share the same primary skillset.  If only one unit can learn each ability within that skillset, then there's going to be wasted potential among the remaining units.

Would you rather have 2 abilities + 1 item then?

Gaignun

For SCC, I would prefer the standard 2 abilities + 2 items.  However, if the majority wants to play with more restrictions, then settling for 2 abilities + 1 item would be OK.

Barren

As of now I have updated the second rule choice for this tournament.  Having a SCC team with no jp cap and 2x abilities + 1 item adds more flexibility and takes away some pressure for players to enter. If you are using 4 geomancers or 4 chemists then 2 of them can at least have their nearly full skillet (in the case of geomancers all of it).

And would everyone be okay with picking 3 classes and have one of them be chosen at random?

As much as I want everyone to be their favorite class I do admittedly also want variety of classes to be seen encouraging different combos of full class teams like the ones I demonstrated in my video

Corosar

Well i am already fixated on my choice of having summoners as my team.... i am sorry if this seems shallow but... i will back out if i am unable to do so... summoner and wizard has always been my personal favorite classes.
Time for a new season!

V 1.4.1 W/L: 3 / 7
V 1.4 W/L: 3 / 14.5
V 1.39 W/L: 13.25 / 22