• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance: Grim Grimoire (Latest version: Beta 0.993)

Started by Eternal, June 23, 2013, 07:50:32 pm

Eternal

Congrats on beating the game, and thank you for tolerating and reporting the bugs! Your reports have been very, very useful! There's still a great challenge left in the game: the Judges sidequest. I think you'll find them to be quite challenging! Overall, what did you like and what did you feel should be changed in the future?
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Bonesy

I'll play it again once 1.0's out lol, hopefully by then I'll have a game off my backlog or something.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
  • Discord username: Bonesy#9386

Eternal

Things to look forward to:

-The around-self AoE bug has been fixed thanks to rrs_kai.
-The debuffs bypassing boss immunity bug is being fixed thanks to Darth.
-Saint Cross now has 3 Range and 1 AoE, and Exorcises Undead units.
-First Aid now has 1 Range.

EDIT:

-Haste/Hastega are back to how their AoE was before with adjusted MP costs.
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"

rrs_kai

Hi Eternal, maybe you will like this:

Use this with any healing animation and it will heal mp, I have tested with chakra and it works.
Changing the numeric value from 0x1E-standard to fixed-30/80 also works fine.

Eternal

And with that, one more bug is fixed and Paeon can heal MP now! Thanks! :D

bcrobert

Quote from: Eternal on September 19, 2015, 10:25:38 pm
-The around-self AoE bug has been fixed thanks to rrs_kai.
-The debuffs bypassing boss immunity bug is being fixed thanks to Darth.

You will tell me exactly how these got fixed or I won't love you anymore. Especially for the debuffs bypassing boss immunity. Every Darthatron hack deserves automatic archiving.

Quote from: rrs_kai on September 19, 2015, 11:31:47 pm
Hi Eternal, maybe you will like this:

Use this with any healing animation and it will heal mp, I have tested with chakra and it works.
Changing the numeric value from 0x1E-standard to fixed-30/80 also works fine.

So wait, is the main change here just that it's not value 1E (standard)? Inconvenient, but it's completely awesome that you realized this.
My FFTA hacking tools: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=9559.0

Believe it or not, I'm still working on this game.

rrs_kai

Quote from: bcrobert on September 20, 2015, 01:50:57 am
So wait, is the main change here just that it's not value 1E (standard)? Inconvenient, but it's completely awesome that you realized this.

The change is the byte being used for mp-healing.
It was previously ether's byte 0x24 heal 80 mp. This byte itself is bugged and only functions properly for the item-ether.
I changed that to an unused byte which is 0x3d.

@bcrobert
Do you know how the game differentiates between various the control abilities? Although they use the same byte, targeting changes for each once. The only thing different is the animation number (even the unknowns are same).

bcrobert

Quote from: rrs_kai on September 20, 2015, 07:18:02 am
@bcrobert
Do you know how the game differentiates between various the control abilities? Although they use the same byte, targeting changes for each once. The only thing different is the animation number (even the unknowns are same).

My assumption would be that control's accuracy formula compares the target's race to the ID of the ability used or something. The secret to the targeting would be in the accuracy formula pointed to by ID value 0x1E, since it would use 0x15 if it were just a typical status accuracy skill. Probably hard-coded into that routine somehow. The exact method would require further investigation with ASM afaik.

Quote from: rrs_kai on September 20, 2015, 07:18:02 am
The change is the byte being used for mp-healing.
It was previously ether's byte 0x24 heal 80 mp. This byte itself is bugged and only functions properly for the item-ether.
I changed that to an unused byte which is 0x3d.

Well now I feel silly. :P

trukxlig123

Mr. eternal, I'd like to request, If I may, that both protect and shell's bonus be increased(if possible). in game protect and shell increases about 40% of the weapon defense and magic resistance respectively, and they approximately reduce 25% of the incoming damage.

ability power 40
attacker                          receiver
weapon attack: 300          weapon defense: 250
Magic power   : 480          magic resistance: 360

without protect:
damage= ((300-(250/2))*40)/100
           =70
with protect:
damage=((300-(((250*358)/256)/2))*40)/100
           =50
without shell:
damage=((480-(360/2))*40)/100
          =120
with shell:
damage=((480-(((360*358)/256)/2))*40)/100
          =91

my point is that protect and shell have the same bonus as defense up and m.res up (mighty guard), but they have expiration. increasing their bonus would definitely make them more usable and worth wasting 1 turn. I mean I'd rather nuke up the enemy or just use healing abilities than bulking myself with low bonus. Besides shell and protect don't really last long so giving them a more feelable (I can't seem to come up with the right term) effect won't harm the gaming experience. sorry for my bad English   :)

Eternal

Thanks for your interest! I was originally going to extend statuses to 5 turns instead of their current 3, but Doom is tied to that 3-turn duration, and it bugs if you increase that number, which is why Protect/Shell/etc. have their Vanilla durations.

bcrobert

Make Sleep last 45 turns.

On a more serious note, do you have the data to change the one-turn buffs? Boost isn't really worth using, but if you tack an extra turn onto it it's suddenly a very nice trade-off for melee-centric classes.

trukxlig123

Ahw too bad :(  ...I did not know they share the same duration with doom. Well if their duration can't be increased, How about the value?  Later on defense and resistance won't have much effect because of the game's damage formula. So this won't hurt, right? (I can't believe how this kid is nagging me when I'm far too busy finishing v1.0)

Mr.Eternal, I know it's rude how late this reply is and it was I who asked first. But...I'm quite selfish so, can you make samurai's R-ability last berserk to last expert guard?(there he goes again)  that way I'd be forced to use reaction ignoring skills. :D

PowerOfKaishin

I'm getting an error with backup memory message when I go to save. Any idea what's going on?

Bonesy

IT COULD BE YOUR EMULADORES AYAYAYAYAYAY

Eternal, any idea when you're going to do 1.0 so I can play? lol

Eternal

I'm hoping to release an update with some fixes by Christmas to go along with a basic FFTA2 GG release. It won't be a 1.0, but it'll be quite a bit closer! At this point it's just a matter of fixing silly little things and polishing things up.

PowerOfKaishin

I've since started playing through this game, and there's one thing I really don't like so far: how useless summoners are. These girls are the goddess of mass death and destruction in game, but their spells now only do as much as a level 1 fire/blizzard/lightning spell. This is kinda of ridiculous, especially considering how fire is now two range. The not targeting allies thing doesn't make up for this, especially considering summons costs 3 to 4 times as much as your basic magic. There seems like much less reason to use a summoner except as a sort of red mage that gets a life spell, except they're way too weak and the fact that I can simply combine two other magical practices that cover all of those things makes them almost completely superfluous.

It seems like physical classes dominate here, which makes me kind of sad I went for a magical viera. Of course, it doesn't help that my magical viera is for some reason 40 magic points behind my Nu Mou.

Also, do you have a list of the growth rates for the jobs? Or are they unchanged?

chocolatemoose

@Eternal: any preference for which one you'd like to get feedback on first?

I'll probably have bandwidth to only play one for a while.

Bonesy

Should saves work between versions of GG1 when you release the bugfix?

Madeen

Heya!

So I started playing this today, and something stroke me as odd... to say the least.

I was fighting fire bombs in "Fire! Fire!" mission, and here's my Montblanc damage vs them:

Rod smack: 9 dmg
Thunder: 13 dmg
Fire: Absorb
Blizzard: 6 dmg!?

Maybe something wrong here?  Especially bombs have higher P.def than M.def...

Also Guard Staff heals target on hit?

Eternal

@Kaishin: Summoners are being tweaked a bit to make them more useful. They were edited all the way back before we had decent editing capabilities and hadn't been touched since then, so they're going to be revised.

@Chocolatemoose: FFTA GG1, definitely! GG2 is going to take significantly longer to make any real edits, such as to battles.

@Bonesy: Yes, they should work just fine.

@Madeen: Bombs are Halve: Ice, Absorb: Fire, Immune: Earth, Weak: Water. All Staves (except the Mythril Staff, IIRC) heal on hit now and have generally defensive boons.