• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 01:19:04 am

Forum Reorganization

Started by Eternal248, February 10, 2011, 04:24:17 pm

Eternal

February 10, 2011, 04:24:17 pm Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 09:23:53 am by Xifanie
I'm currently reorganizing certain boards so that the site won't be as messy to look at, and hopefully things will be a bit more crisp and organized. Have patience during this time, please. Thanks!
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Pickle Girl Fanboy

February 10, 2011, 04:49:56 pm #1 Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 05:02:37 pm by Pickle Girl Fanboy
Opinion: Really don't like using boards as subcategories for the really important boards, like FFT General Modding.  It adds another layer of abstraction which you need to sort through if you're trying to keep track of topics on multiple boards.  This doesn't really matter for Spam or General, but I like to sit on the forum index and F5 every five minutes.  I don't like seeing empty boards with five child-boards, basically, and I can't think of many sites where this layout works.  Ease/simplicity/convenience of use/navigation is the goal here.

And we haven't reached this point yet, but over-organization can be just as confusing as under-organization.

Eternal

Yeah, I can understand that. Let me finish the rest of the reorganization, which should be done shortly, and then I'll get an opinion on what you guys think should be changed/changed back to.
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"

Eternal

OK, most of the reorganization is done. I just need to talk to the people who've made completed patches and get things sorted out for those to have boards as well.

Pickle Girl Fanboy

February 10, 2011, 05:25:39 pm #4 Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 05:26:20 pm by Pickle Girl Fanboy
Does this mean the main page - http://www.ffhacktics.com/ - will have news on it?

Eternal

Because of the switch to SMF, whatever plugin Xif had to connect the front page to the News forum no longer works. She's looking for something similar that'll work on SMF, which we'll hopefully have soon.

st4rw4k3r

Wolfran

It's confusing, I like the old organization. Maybe it was a little messy but it was simplier than this.
Welcome to FFH were you can do things like...

Eternal

Give it some time. You'll get used to this just like you got used to the old layout. :)

Celdia

A++ on the reorganization. Would view again.

Now all we need in the Completed Patches or maybe in the WiP board is a dedicated section for Raves and Reviews on the different patches here. While of course its nice to have the word of the creators available on each patch I'd like to see what the people playing them think of everything. A place just for those would be nice but then I'm not sure we have users that would write an actual game review of someone's patch around here...feel free to prove me wrong, folks.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

RavenOfRazgriz

I rather like this design, but I'm incredibly biased in that opinion, as about a third of you probably know.

Seems the general consensus is still about 50/50 though... guess it needs a bit of time to grow on people before we can say for sure how well this setup will work out.

VampragonLord

i prefer child-boards, it keeps it simpler. just beware the "overorganizing" or the "do squares go in the rectangle board, since theyre also rectangles, or do they also have a separate board since theyre different enough".
15:05   slave: consensual slavery is the best thing ever~

RavenOfRazgriz

Quote from: VampragonLord on February 11, 2011, 03:45:54 am
i prefer child-boards, it keeps it simpler. just beware the "overorganizing" or the "do squares go in the rectangle board, since theyre also rectangles, or do they also have a separate board since theyre different enough".

We almost hit that wall a couple times, but I'm super sexy and hit people over the head enough to avoid it on IRC.

Pickle Girl Fanboy

The old set-up was very FFT specific, this one is more generalized for modding any game.

The Damned

(Why does everything always change around a lot the mere day that I'm gone?)

I somewhat like the set-up, but I have to agree with Pickle Girl Fanboy about the board seeming a lot overtly FFT-specific even with the many visible sub-titles. From a glance, the only thing besides the name that shows that we may be specifically FFT-oriented is the Ramza picture at that's still at the top and I can't imagine that's very telling.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Eternal

You think that the "modding" forum name should be changed to "FFT Modding", then, for more clarity?

The Damned

Given that most of the time, even when want people to make non-FFT mods, that they use FFT as the base to mod from, that would be useful clarification, yes. That may also be a sufficient enough change for anyone who might just randomly come across us to get the idea, but that might just be me. Pickle Girl Fanboy and others might feel differently.

Regardless, thank you for the swift response.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Pickle Girl Fanboy

I meant my previous comment as, "So now we can host modding projects for other games without them looking like afterthoughts."

Eternal

If I understand what you're saying, you're saying that the modding board would be for non-FFT related games, yes? I'll be honest, I don't really agree with that.

Non-FFT mods are fine in General unless we get enough of them to make a subforum for them later.

RavenOfRazgriz

No, genius-Ternal, he's saying the way we set up the Hacking board, we could easily place say, "Castlevania Hacking", "FF6 Hacking", "Super Mario Hacking", or whatever else we wanted in the Hacking index along with the 3 existing boards and they would be equally visible as the various FFT Hacking boards that exist there now.  Stop being dense, bro.   -___-