• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Hi guys. I'm new here! ><

Started by wyat_erp, December 01, 2014, 07:29:59 am

wyat_erp

hi everyone. im new to modding games and stuff. as u can see, I just successfully edited my battle, formation and portrait sprites. Now, I would like to add custom characters with unique jobs into my game just like the in-game character ones.

So, is it possible? can someone help me with it? Guys, please help me. I want to add unique chars in my game. I am also willing to learn in editing/adding events in my game for my created custom chars. thanks guys. every help is appreciated greatly. ^^

Angel

Yes. FFTPatcher lets you customize jobs and abilities, among other things. You can use an unused job slot to create something new, and with some ENTD edits, you can free up sprites (Agrias, Mustadio, and several others occupy two slots; change the applicable ENTDs to call only one and you'll free up the other).

I'm actually surprised you got as far as you did (on WotL, no less) without discovering Patcher; you got through the part that trips a lot of people up before getting to the easybutton program.
  • Modding version: PSX
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

wyat_erp

Thanks Mr./Ms. Toshiko! :D

um, could you please post me a tutorial or something about creating a new job, the unused job slots that can be used without glitches and changing applicable ENTDs? (what's ENTDs? ><)

Also, how to rename made changes for the game? I did download FFTPatcher pack, though I always get some kind of error when using FFTText or something. I wanna make new chars and jobs! ><

This site is so cool too! A treasure trove for modding my fave game! You guys rock! ><

Angel

Most versions of TacText don't play nicely with WotL. It doesn't get fixed because no modders like WotL. You need to use version .457.

Jobs to use are pretty obvious, really. Every character in the game has a job, even if they're never used in battle. Take Funeral, for example. Just use the job slot (cross reference characters and jobs on their respective tabs) of an unused job and edit away. You can change abilities, number of abilities, effect ranges, formulas, etc. The best way to learn is to play around, really. That's how we all went about it.

ENTDs say which characters are present in which map scene, and what attributes they have. There's an ENTD tab in Patcher. Sadly, not every ENTD is intelligently named, so you do kinda have to go through them all one by one and check which are loading the offending character IDs. There are a lot of ENTDs devoted to random battle formations, though those ones are marked properly, so that will help narrow your search.

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame

wyat_erp

Oh! thanks for another good advice! :D

I'll try to apply what I've just learned tonight. ^^

BTW, what's a good patch to play around as a basis for WOTL? Coz after this hurdle and mastering it, I was thinking of making some additional events for my future custom chars.

Or maybe develop it into a mod that has lots of custom events that do not alter the main story, though compliments it a bit? I dunno. Too ambitious, but i'm getting really excited! ><

Anyway, i'll try out things first. I'll just feedback whatever happens. Thanks again! :D

Angel

Celdia's Complete Patch is a good example of what you can do just editing jobs, sprites, abilties, effects, etc. Pretty much everything about any job was changed up, to fun results.

Editing events and all is a very ambitious undertaking that normally doesn't happen without multiple people working on a single mod, but has been done before by a single person. Just takes discipline, dedication, and a LOT of free time.

Xifanie

Quote from: wyat_erp on December 02, 2014, 07:02:25 amBTW, what's a good patch to play around as a basis for WOTL?

I'm not quite sure what the question is. There's pretty much no good base mod for WotL. Our ability, knowledge and tools to hack WotL are extremely limited compared to the PSX version, mainly because nobody who has the skill cares about WotL.

You would pretty much have to test everything on the PSX version. And even then, unless you want to dwell into much more complicated hacking, you probably won't figure out how to add events to WotL because of the way the port was made.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

wyat_erp

omg. i'm still having so much errors even after using TacText .457 :(

should I just edit the PSX version for less trouble? if so, will there be a lot of differences and bugs in-game compared to WOTL? Can I still make a custom Dark Knight job in the PSX too? :'(

Xifanie

http://www.gamefaqs.com/psp/937312-final-fantasy-tactics-the-war-of-the-lions/faqs/50422

You can refer to section:
XVI. VERSION DIFFERENCES
To see all the differences between the two versions.

You will still be able to make a custom Dark Knight job, but it will either have to replace another generic job (chemist, knight, arithmecian), or be a special unit of its own.

I'm not saying to not go for WotL but... good luck getting any kind of support if you do. And good luck hacking it for that matter.

I really can't help further when it comes to Tactext with WotL. I don't even own that game.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)

wyat_erp

omg, i'm hitting rock bottom here. :'(

i guess no one is really interested in wotl. i guess i'll go with psx. however, can someone link me with guides of it? like FFTacText or renaming programs and ENTDs. so much appreciation in advance. :D

Angel

There aren't any guides, because the features are extremely straightforward. It would be like writing a guide for Internet Explorer. All there is to know about any of the tools can be learned by merely looking at them, really. That said, I really do wish the ENTD list was updated to be more informative.

For all other things, refer to the Tutorial Link Index, which is a pretty comprehensive list of every tutorial we have.

wyat_erp

thanks toshiko. :D

was late in replying due to busy schedule. anyways, i managed to create atleast one custom character of mine. however, there is another problem: I wanted to mount a dragon. is there any hack or smthng that i can use for wotl? T.T

Xifanie

For WotL, nope; there are essentially no ASM hacks for WotL.

This hack exists for the PSX version, but of course it might look a bit funny.

wyat_erp

oh... i see... that's... too bad. :(