• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:13:27 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

How to create a non-generic job class? Noob here, please help me!!!

Started by Iaddedsephi, September 01, 2015, 07:49:18 pm

Iaddedsephi

Ok, I just stumbled upon this website after watching a video of Journey of the 5 on YT, which looks sick btw. I love this game, and would like to thank you guys for what you`ve done here, this is awesome!!

Ok, now to my question, I`ve been looking through these forums like crazy, searching for a noob-friendly tutorial on how to create a specific non-generic character with his/her very own Job class and skill set. There seem to be many tutorials on how to create new job classes but I have yet to find one about creating a specific character.

What I would like to do concretely, is to add a character to my party with Sephiroth`s sprites, and a custom named- unique job-class. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please keep in mind that I have very little to no experience in hacking or coding. Thank you in advance!!!!

PS: I´ve tried to do this my own way by using Shishi Sprites Fttactext and FFpatcher to replace a special character like the -39 assassin with my desired character then using Gameshark code to replacea squire which I bought at Gariland with the name and sign I wanted with the -39 character. Needless to to say this didn't go well... :? the character would get the same position as Ramza and his equipment could not be changed...

Jumza

http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=406.msg121778#msg121778

This tutorial was made by Jon quite a few years ago. If it doesn't work or you are confused by something, just ask.

EDIT: Also, I didn't even notice your username till after I posted this :P
  • Modding version: PSX
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Iaddedsephi

OMG thanks for the quick reply!!! Yes I somehow found and downloaded that tutorial already and I feel like I could get things done with it even though I have yet to read it thoroughly, however I read somewhere that there is an easier way to replace/get a character than with an entd(sorry if misspelt) modification, with an XML table or something, where do I get and is there a tutorial for that?

EDIT: Yes kind of pragmatic, it`s the first thing that occurred to me, since I`ve been trying to do it for the past two days lol

In case you are wondering what I mean, I`m referring to this post   
QuoteGlain [Posts: 414] (Report) 
View ProfilePersonal Message (Offline)Replyshare[October 19, 2012, 02:00:44 PM]
That's the tutorial that includes taking Simon's class and swapping out the ENTDs, right?

The only thing is that it's harder to do the ENTD swapping than to just repoint the user/wldface entries for an unused class (so you don't have to use Simon's). You can do that with my UWEntries spreadsheet, which I think has been absorbed into Raven's collection.

On the other hand, if you run out of unused classes, you might have to do the ENTD swapping. So, I don't know. Still, I think it should be avoided if you don't have to do it (easy to miss references).

How do I achieve my goal using this method instead, is it really less complicated?

3lric

This isn't an 'instead' message bud, this is an 'in addition to'

You'll still need to place them via ENTD in FFTP. THEN you will need to use UWEntries to point to the correct WLDFACE/UNIT.BIN entries. Then replace those as well.

Iaddedsephi

:shock: Oh boy... . So let me see if I got this straight, first I follow the instructions listed on John`s guide and then I figure out a way to use UWEentries thingy, right?

3lric

Iaddedsephi

Ok, thanks a lot, I will get back to you if I have any questions

Nyzer

This isn't a step-by-step guide for you (or anyone else that might come looking) but I'll throw in a checklist for you.

- The character's Formation portrait needs to be put in using FFTEVGRP
- The character's Formation sprite needs to be put in using FFTEVGRP
- The character's complete sprite (which will include the portrait, rotated 90 degrees, in what seems to be all the wrong colors if you look at it as a .bmp, because the portrait uses a different palette than the sprite) needs to be put in using Shishi's Sprite Editor (which shows the rotated portrait with its proper palette by default)
- All the above need to correspond to the same unit, which will either necessitate some shuffling of the dummied out units (as there are some in Shishi's that are duplicates or just not used, whereas there are other ones in FFTEVGRP that are used for units that never join the party and thus are never seen on the Formation screens) or require UW editing which would be significantly easier
- The custom job's stats and skills need to be set in FFTPatcher; this, too, must match up with the rest
- The custom character will need to be put into an event in the ENTD of the FFTPatcher
- If you want the custom character to show up in any way more meaningful than the random throwaway generics from the Academy in Ch. 1, you'll need to establish that using the EasyVent Editor.

Bear in mind that this is only the way I've actually done it myself; I haven't gone too in-depth about this. I could very well have missed something.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Iaddedsephi

Thanks nyzer, that helped clarify the steps. Phew, almost done, I am at step 9 of John´s guide, what amazing job he did with that guide, tho I recommend watching this tutorial aditionally: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_pUVToyHAc in order to have a better picture of what has to be done within the graphicsgale part. For noobies like me  :mrgreen: who might look into this post.

So I think I am now at that part where I could spare me a lot of headaches if I used UWEntries instead of entirely doing step 9, can anyone confirm this please?

3lric

As I mentioned, UWEntries is in ADDITION to this tutorial. IF you are overwriting Simon then you won't be using UWEntries at all. As he has the UNIT and WLDFACE already in place. You'd only need UWEntries if you are not linking it to someone who has a corresponding UNIT/WLDFACE. You still need to do the entire tutorial.

If you overwrite simon, its gonna look funny in events, due to missing sprite and EVTCHR. Its best to overwrite an actual unused sprite, and change the pointer with UWEntries.

Nyzer

That's right. Simon's got several appearances with animations that are NOT tied to his Shishi sprite. Your only options to get around that are to either go into the ENTD, find every appearance of Simon, and change his default sprite out to whichever one you relocated him to in Shishi (and I can't even guarantee that it works) or, like Elric said, to use the UWEntries. That'd be a lot simpler since there are two 100% unused sprites in Shishi already (duplicates of Celia and Lettie) that don't require any other fiddling to replace.

Iaddedsephi

Thank you for all the answers, they have helped me greatly. So, basically in order to make a character without weird graphic glitches in events I have to use the Celia sprite (for example) from the beginning and then assign my Wildface.bin and Unit.bin to that character with UWEntries?

Nyzer

Yeah, that should keep Simon intact. Then you just choose one of the many unused Formation sets (such as Simon's) to redirect to the Celia sprite instead of Simon.

Iaddedsephi

Well, once again I`m very grateful for all the help provided, all my questions have been answered so I will mark this as solved  :D

Adhelbert

Can anyone tell me the ID for unused Sprites (celia, Lede ) , thanks  :D

Angel

* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?