• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:51:55 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Arena battle videos and discussion

Started by PX_Timefordeath, August 04, 2010, 06:49:51 pm

silentkaster

I just watched my sister's and my videos so will comment in a bit...

BTW...is that a slight accent you have Otabo? Spanish accent perhaps? I wasn't sure...couldn't place it. Maybe I'm just kinda crazy? Eh, oh well ha ha.
You've stepped in puddles less shallow than me.

Barren

my comments so far

I can see where darkxfatal was trying to accomplish here but some skills and equips could use some switching around. LightningHax made a nice come back in round 2 after those petrify procs.

I like both teams in their own way but Reks had better damage all around considering he made good use of summon magic and slow 2. Two Hands just had a bad match up. It happens

silentkaster is definitely holding his own in arena matches lately. Very impressive. Even though ShadowDragon has his issues going on with his team too (some of which I pointed out before) he managed to force a round 3 which is good on his part. Round 3 was actually a very good match.

I knew going into this that speed kills would have obvious problems, x-potion alone just wont do it. murasame would have been so much better for him. And maybe even koutetsu if you wanted some dark elemental absorption. RW's team looks good but that chemist not healing her own MP can be a issue especially since if she is using summon magics frequently. Otherwise 170 plus damage titans is still good even with 12 MA.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
You dare cross blades with me?

Malroth

February 11, 2014, 01:34:24 am #2964 Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 02:57:53 am by Malroth

I diddn't do too shabby concidering all 4 of his units were capable of 1hkoing me and his Monks Evaded Meiton 60% of the time, a few smarter AI choices in Round 3 and I could have won that one. You've got a pretty good team if somewhat narrow focused.  I think one of your oracles should be replaced with a Magic attack up scholar who spams Bio3  so you can spread the zombie virus around to enemies not wearing a cursed ring.

Chakra band really needs a nerf loosing charm and Don't Act to the Choice Band would go a long way towards making which scarf you wear into a difficult choice instead of the 1 helm fits all that curently exists.

Edit Spoiler button fixed

Reks

Can't see your spoiler, Malroth.

Thanks to both Otabo and Truelight for the matches!
  • Discord username: Reks#0128

Barren

Elmdork

i died when your phone went off. easily the highlight of the week. great job on the videos, guys! always nice to hear you do commentary, otabo. i only saw you host older videos when everyone was a little greener.

Usually when building a team (or deck of magic cards or army in starcraft etc) starting off on a defensive basis is a lethal decision, for you. However, you're having some decent success against undead teams, which is good! My only suggestion is that you find a way to make your units more tanky. casting undead and then using raise 2 takes time and you need to survive long enough to do it. a little extra damage or % to hit is always nice, but means absolutely nothing if the units don't survive long enough to cast it.
The bird of Hermes is my name
Eating my wings to make me tame
  • Discord username: rouroni elmdor

silentkaster

Whew! So many videos!

Man, Round 2...what a match. There's not a whole lot to say...pretty straightforward what LightningHax's team was trying to do and they did it well. Good match...really enjoyed that one!!

Yeah...ranged attackers + status meant that they just couldn't get in range to do their big damage. The few times they did showed how effective Two Hands can really be...but it just was tough getting to that point.

Damn, two petrify procs on the first match (and both on my white magic/item users) meant that I was quickly losing the first one. Thank goodness on the 2nd and 3rd matches they were healed up. I liked how my mediator was pretty smart about using blackmail most of the time, and I really liked the damage she was doing. Third match I believe I won because of the map. That map is just awesome for archers. With the sandbag loop on ShadowDragon15's team...and my archer's speed and position...yeah. GG ShadowDragon!

Usually, in my experience, big damage dealers like those chemists...(ouch they hurt, especially after a few quickenings) and sandbagging don't mix. If even one of them had advanced and got a good hit on my sister's team, the matches might have turned out differently. In the first match, the only damage this team even got off was the 45 damage from one of the samurai...probably not what ShadowDragon wanted at all. In any event, in the 2nd match we saw a chemist one shot her archer. That's what you want your team to be doing...and giving them PD and X-Potion will often confuse AI priorities. Also, Don't Move...hugely relevant against ShadowDragon's team.

This is probably my favorite team of yours so far ShadowDragon. Hugely efficient cursed ring killers and nice concept with Zombie casting oracles. Very very nice team. Though you didn't win every match...it was still fun to watch these guys in action!

Barren

ShadowDragon15

Polka Party against Hippie Bong Circle... It was a really slow paced battle I say. I almost thought Polka Party would have benefited more if one dancing monk had Polka polka, and the other had disillusion. It may be reducing the removal rate of the opponent team's PA, but at least you wouldn't get overwhelmed by magic users either. those 180 murasames were lethal, simply because they had their MA high and your units couldn't produce enough damage, except the mediator, to counteract the healing. battle #2 definitely went by faster because of the beserked priest though, good job on that.
Strategy is just magical.

silentkaster

Love Malroth's team in action. (Honestly, a match I'd like to see would be Otabo's 314 Squad vs. Polka Party). He doesn't care about Martial Arts, Big Damage opponents, or any of that. PA Save + Anti-Petrify means that those monks will eventually hit like a truck even if it takes an hour of back and forth...Malroth's team is going for the super long game. And he's built so that overwhelming the team early is going to prove very difficult. The mediator was a great help supporting the undead monks, but the time mage was kind of the weakest link here. I would have personally preferred an oracle, though the time mage did get some useful slow 2's and haste 2's off. She just lacked the longevity that Malroth's other units had. Rouroni...your team seems fine and I think you would have had Round 1 if it wasn't for A) No Esuna and B) Raise 2 RNG just smacking you in the face. I don't have a whole lot to say about your team because it was a nice, balanced, strong team that hit decently hard and has status effects to boot. And why did that priest start going for Cure 2 instead of Raise 2 at the end? She had enough MP several times for Raise 2 but chose not to cast it...

IDK...very very interesting match though...GG!

Elmdork

February 13, 2014, 10:03:16 pm #2972 Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 09:10:44 am by Rouroni Elmdor
great match up, barren! against a team that actually takes the near 200 potential elemental damage, you won't see a very long match. thanks for the feedback guys, barren covered it mostly in the video.

removing esuna was sort of a last minute surgery kind of thing. yeah, it should come back. magic atk up on the geomancer will also be scary. those cure 2's... XD
overall i'm pleased, though my thief is a little generic, and a bit confused, the team is capable of healing to full and resuming offence within a round. with or without speed junkie it would seem.

GG Malroth. you deprived me of a 200 damage local quake. I equal parts hate and respect you.
That is a solid long game team, the +/- PA makes a huge offset and the dual cast makes it fast. the bad compat did play into your strategy, but hey, one day you're playing air elementals with bad compat, next you could face earth elemental star signs (best/worst)

Edit: i gave cannabis farmer raise/esuna. speed junkie lost revive for abandon. feeling a bit lazy to put some of my more obscure design ideas to work as they take a great deal more tweaking and such. Also Tera is taking over my life. I'm still looking for that one design i'd enter into a tourney, but my SCC is as good a candidate as any as far as my teams go. Just depends if people decide to go more physical/magical/speed and it's more a flip of a coin than anything.
The bird of Hermes is my name
Eating my wings to make me tame
  • Discord username: rouroni elmdor

reinoe

Quote from: Otabo on February 10, 2014, 08:55:31 pm
Alright, I'm back to recording matches again.

ShadowDragon15 (Speed Kills) vs. RedWorld (Defense Mechanism)

Got more coming later. Stay tuned.

Thanks Otabo!  Good to see you recording again!

This was painful to watch.  Those Samurai had neither Masamune or Murasame.  Yeesh.
My dreams can come true!

TrueLight

Sorry about the lack of videos from me lately, more will be up tomorrow. In the meantime, enjoy this match.

FFT Arena 1.38D - Reks (Hack'n'Slash) vs. Reks (Smash'n'Bash)
  • Modding version: PSX

Reks

Quote from: TrueLight on February 17, 2014, 10:54:26 pm
Sorry about the lack of videos from me lately, more will be up tomorrow. In the meantime, enjoy this match.

FFT Arena 1.38D - Reks (Hack'n'Slash) vs. Reks (Smash'n'Bash)

So many back and forths it's like a tennis match
  • Discord username: Reks#0128

Otabo

ShadowDragon15

That was horrendous. My Wind Walkers are fools. I'm not going to change them, but something is messed up with their AI minds. There are 3 of them with reviving abilities, and none of them were really used. they kept attacking, so I'm pretty confused. Again, not going to do any changing, but that kind of urks me.
Strategy is just magical.

Barren

Man you had pretty bad luck in round 1. My samurai was being very passive in round 1 for whatever reason. Maybe it was because my ninja had your entire team scrambling for cover while you were trying to pick off my mages. I guess in hindsight my samurai was there to keep them in check. Round 2 was just one sided for me. GG Man, hopefully your wind walker team has better luck next time

Otabo

February 18, 2014, 03:13:11 pm #2979 Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 03:18:42 pm by Otabo
Quote from: ShadowDragon15 on February 18, 2014, 02:26:46 pm
That was horrendous. My Wind Walkers are fools. I'm not going to change them, but something is messed up with their AI minds. There are 3 of them with reviving abilities, and none of them were really used. they kept attacking, so I'm pretty confused. Again, not going to do any changing, but that kind of urks me.

They really couldn't do much to begin with, to be perfectly honest with you. Your revivers got quickly locked down with status, then killed off, and the ninja was ignored, allowing him to get free damage and don't act procs in. Even if they could do something, your team had no way to deal with the summoner, besides normal melees from the scholar and samurai, and even then, the summoner could've just healed that damage forever thanks to Move-MP Up. I personally think that the team needs a backup source of damage and/or Steal Accessory and/or Head Break (probably both actually) to deal with units running Magic Ring/Thief Hat as both are very common (Thief Hat especially).