• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

theultrawolf's sprites

Started by theultrawolf, February 14, 2012, 10:59:39 pm

theultrawolf

Whilst rummaging through some older posts a while back, I came across a version of an unhooded short haired meliadoul and decided i would finish it; and then maybe tweak it into something new.

my progress thus far:
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL

Lijj

• Modding version: PSX

theultrawolf

Haha, yeah, I'm gonna try to be; the only downside is for awhile I have to use someone else's computer, which is tedious at best :/

GeneralStrife

welcome! It's looking good! Keep it up! Let us know if you have any problems/need any pointers. Is the sprite supposed to be her with bare arms? I think it would be better if she stuck with the golden plate arms. Or if you're going for the bare arm look I guess that's your prerogative.

Jon

Yeah changing all those arms is a pain in the ass. I'd just copy/paste the short haired heads onto a clean Meliadoul sprite sheet and go from there. The golden armor arms do look good...
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

Taichii

Please do share your ideas and suggestion for my project:
FINAL FANTASY TACTICS : LEGEND OF MANA

Join our RP :)
"Desperation"

"PAIN. THAT'S WHAT KEEPS YOU HUMAN"

Lijj

The arms are what make it unique. We already have an unhooded Melidoul with golden arms.

Fosil

... Albeit the version I contributed had red hair, and may not be "true" to the unhooded version of Meliadoul that many seem to envision. Perhaps I did wrong in making her a red head?

Lijj

Fosil

Hah. Well, thanks. See, I still lurk around, here and there. Been busy with other stuff to not make anymore contributions.

theultrawolf

February 17, 2012, 09:01:50 pm #10 Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 09:52:47 pm by theultrawolf
Sorry for the unquick reply...like I said, access to a computer for me at the time is severly limited...

Quote from: GeneralStrife on February 15, 2012, 05:06:55 am
welcome! It's looking good! Keep it up! Let us know if you have any problems/need any pointers. Is the sprite supposed to be her with bare arms? I think it would be better if she stuck with the golden plate arms. Or if you're going for the bare arm look I guess that's your prerogative.
Thanks for the warm welcome and support! And to answer the question; yes, the bare arms are intentional; it gives a further element of exposure and uniqueness to said sprite; I also plan on editing the palette for further diversity, but the basic edit of the sprite should be done by this weekend, I'm looking forward to your critiques!
Quote from: Taichii on February 15, 2012, 12:15:27 pm
young meliadoul! XD

And I suppose it could be a younger version of her :D and maybe she decided to wear her hood to mourn over izlude....

Progress so far:

Jon

I see what you're doing, you're changing the top part of the arm armor into the skin shades and the glove black. However, you are making her look way too beefy. She looks like some kind of body builder / big woman. That's fine but I always imagined Meliadoul to be actually kinda skinny like her body indicates. I like the head though, reminds me strangely of Alma for some reason. Keep it up and good luck! :mrgreen:

Lijj

I noticed when I zoomed in that the darkest shade of her hair is a greenish tone that is too light. It would look a lot better if it were the same hue has the other shades in her hair but darker.

Jon

If you need more colors to work with, you could now replace the gold shoes as well with black (which might be bad since her dress is black) or green. You should then have like 2 or 3 new colors to work with...perfect for getting a right dark shade for the hair for example like Lijj said.

GeneralStrife

he'll have even more colors when there are no more golden arms too.

Jon

That's exactly what I mean, I think the shoes share the same gold colors as the armored arms. If he gets rid of gold altogether, damn you got some room to work with! You could do a lotta new things.

theultrawolf

February 18, 2012, 09:15:25 pm #16 Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 09:28:32 pm by theultrawolf
I could get rid of the shoes; the only reason I didn't was due to the fact that if I use the same shade for the shoes as I did for the gauntlets it would look like part of her frock; which would be awkward.

Case and point: (i edited her basic colors to a bluish purple btw)

Lijj

I dig it. The hair still has that greenish-gold color in it though :/

theultrawolf

Quote from: Lijj on February 19, 2012, 06:56:44 am
The hair still has that greenish-gold color in it though :/

I got rid of the hair color and supplemented a darker tone from Delita's sprite to make it blend in more; I still can't seem to make the shoes good however, so I turned them a reddish hue in hopes of maybe being able to give them some aspect of uniqueness; I'm almost done with the basic editing however.

Twinees

That hair colour you replaced the green-y brown Lijj mentioned earlier is far too similar to the other dark brown. You might as well just make both colours just 1 colour, means you have more space in the palette to do what you like.
The back view hair isn't looking as good as it does on the front, the shading looks very different, take a look at other sprites and see how the shine (ie. the brightest colour) should look (Delita's hair is an example you should not look at).
But its looking alright so far, just remember that the palettes for the sprite and portrait are separate (and generally the same colours on the sprite aren't used for portrait and vice-versa.).