• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:57:53 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Male Mystic Knight (probably final)

Started by Nyzer, July 05, 2015, 04:10:32 pm

Nyzer

You actually helped a lot with that one, Twinees! I'm very definitely not at the point where I can do a realistic looking turban the way you have, as you might have noticed from the rigid lines on all of my attempts :P

The only thing I don't think fits well is the gem - your design makes it look more like a clasp, which the Mystic Knights this sprite is based off of just don't seem to have on the turban. Not that I don't like it - I think I'll use that one on the cloak instead of what I've currently got there. Just that it doesn't do what I was going for on the turban, y'know? But I'll try to get something less plain than what I had before.

As for the colors - I'll definitely poke around in Shishi's some more. Most of mine were just grabbed from the color wheel in an effort to match the concepts I built the MK from, but colors that fall more in line with what we've already got in FFT certainly can't hurt. And that's only true for the first palette; I'm not super attached to the colors for the others, so I'll try to pick those ones with a little more care.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Nyzer

August 02, 2015, 06:14:13 pm #21 Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 09:52:04 pm by nyzer
So here - for the primary palette I pulled colors from Ch2 Ramza and Rapha to replace the purple and the cyan. Darkened or lightened them slightly, and edited the pants a bit so there isn't just a ring below the knee with more purple pants underneath it on some frames.
Edit: Finished the portrait, too.

Oh, and - unfortunately...

QuoteDarkest colour should be #282820

Doing that turns the sprite into this:

It's also notable that the Knight sprite my MK is based off of doesn't use a darkest color that's quite that dark. I did darken mine a bit, though.

Twinees

Hey. Glad to see you still working hard at it after my suggestions.

Good choices with using the colours from Ramza and Rafa.

The reason for why the sprite looks so odd when you make the darkest colour the one I suggested, is due to the other colours you are using (also the colour you are using [at least this is what photoshop is telling me] is #1c1c14, which is a little bit darker than #282820 [unless the colours got messed around with during resizing/uploading?]).
Also the original male knight used 4 colours for the cape, it looks like the darkest white/grey from the original has been replaced with the darkest colour from your palette so there's more black area. (You are currently using 14 colours in your palette, so 2 are unused. You could revert back to the original male knight cape and use 4 whites/greys instead of your current 3. However, this would require a lot more editing unfortunately!)

But forewarning for your next sprite, your darkest colour should either be #282828 or #282820.

But what you've got there already looks pretty damn good, great job.
  • Modding version: PSX

Nyzer

Twinees

Looks great, and you are definitely welcome! The sprite looks near finished now, I think maybe mess around with the purples a bit more and it'll be great!

Now onto the portrait haha! Back to me bitching about 'FFT colours are necessary routine', because its true.
Rule of thumb for FFT portraits in terms of palette:
      -Darkest colour should be #302828 (RGB: 48/40/40)
      -For human portraits there should be 7 skin tone colours + black/darkest colour.
      -Background colour and white of eye (sometimes not used for elderly aged people)
      -Then the remaining 6 should be the other colours you want for your palette

If you can't get enough colours, you have to use existing colours like browns from the skin to make things work, but its not easy. Get creative I guess! Good luck.

Nyzer

Okay, it's been a few days and I've put together another setup.

For the purple in the sprite, I again went back to the Ramza Ch. 2 sprite, only this time I kept the colors far closer to Ramza's instead of changing their brightness. I also touched up the left arm in the defense pose.

For the portrait?  :cry: Muh colors!

But I eventually settled on two options for it.

Cheetah

The the shading on the forehead gem was driving me nuts. I'm also not sure what is happening at is throat. Is it a gem or a scarf? Not sure the bright white should be there at all if it is a scarf. Also make sure that you are only using 15 colors since you need 1 for the transparency.

Otherwise great improvements and this sprite is coming along nicely.
Current Projects:

Nyzer

Yeah, it doesn't look like it, but I double checked: the background color is indeed a unique color (if only by a hair).

I appreciate the help with the gems. I'll openly admit that I'm not very good at making decent shading with only two colors to work with - or at making decent portraits in general, I guess! >_>

gatebuster202

Nyzer, these are really awesome, the colors coming together and the retouches to the palette, make this knight awesome.
Winner of the 2nd FFT Arena SCC Tourney. -Geomancers

Nyzer

Sorry for the silence here, but I got involved with the Jot5 team, working on some stuff there. I definitely won't be ditching the Mystic Knight, but it's on the back burner for now until I'm all finished up with what I'm working on for the rerelease and Chapter 2 :P

gatebuster202

If that's where your flexing your talent, more power to you! (Though we do love other bodies of work for sure.)
Winner of the 2nd FFT Arena SCC Tourney. -Geomancers

Nyzer

March 30, 2016, 05:32:22 am #31 Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 12:55:09 am by nyzer

So after a long time of neglecting this topic (I swear I've revisited the design before, I just could never get something I was satisfied with), I managed to come up with a redesign for the turban gem that I think is an improvement, just using preexisting skin tones to give it a setting finally. Here's a few different variations on that.

Thoughts?

Nyzer

Finally got around to adding in Twin's portrait (albeit very slightly edited) instead of my hunched over look. Probably should have done that quite a while ago.

>_>