• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:20:37 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Lijj's Sprites

Started by Lijj, April 29, 2010, 06:45:40 am

Lijj

Jon your mouth is what's boring. Learn to shut it.

• Modding version: PSX

Lijj

April 10, 2012, 04:33:06 am #781 Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 05:07:43 am by Lijj
And another thing Jon. I'm glad the flan's mouth is boring to you, for if it were to the contrary I'd be worried you might want to _________... I mean really, is that what you want.. a fucking bj? Go look for an exiting mouth anywhere but here.

Kagebunji

I see nothing wrong with flan's mouth tbh. Adding depth is basiclly impossible, since it uses blues for whole sprite, so it would clash. Adding tongue is completely a no no too. To me this is a great port, eh.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Celdia

• Discord username: Celdia#0

3lric

I agree, tho I'm no spriter, I still love the Flan port.

Mando

The port to me is great. Nothing you can do to actually improve it with the color limitations.

^ New FFAT website made by St4r!

Jon

No need to get pissed Lijj, just stating my crit. Also I didn't technically open my mouth, shouldn't you say stop typing XD

Yeah anyways the whole portrait doesn't look like a see-through slimey monster, it looks more like some rock candy with a brittle/breaking head and the slime dripping from its mouth looks the same, like something you'd see in a cave. Also I don't get the dark area right above the mouth, looks like it has a nose or nostrils or something. Why does it get so dark between its eyes? And getting pissed still doesn't change the fact that the inside of the mouth looks depthless. I mean if you add a tongue it might improve it, up to you though.
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

Tea

The inside of his mouth looks depthless, because there is no escape. Get in, keep falling, slowly being digested by the sweet juices of the flan, who keeps smiling all the while. He's dark because of the darkness of the people he ate. He's solid, because it's a solid portrait of the flan.

3lric

Quote from: Tea on April 10, 2012, 04:36:34 pm
He's solid, because it's a solid portrait of the flan.

Choto

Tea hit the nail on the head, every word of that post is epic-ly true

3lric

I think the port is creepy as hell and I assume that is exactly what was intended.  :mrgreen:

GeneralStrife

only so much you can do with fft port style. It looks a hell of a lot better than I could do. Monster Ports are the trickiest. GJ Lijj.

Vanya

Not just playing devil's advocate, but I didn't particularly like that port the first time I saw it. And now all I can say is that it's a good port, but there's just something off about it. I don't know exactly what it is. But in a general sense it seems to me like it has too much detail for a FFT style port and way, waaay too much for what I'd expect for a flan port. I mean it IS a homogenous blob with eyes and little more than a hole for a mouth isn't it?
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

Jon

Its not really FFT style, but whatever...tricky monster portrait...

Lijj

Jon you are nothing but a troll mocking GS (with your last unwanted post). Your critiques have about as much value as your pixel art; very close to naught. The fact that you still use a badly edited old port of mine is almost entertaining in itself; It's nothing but chankings to me. I'd better put this more simply since you also seem to lack wit (based on your first response to my angry retort): scraps that are so full of fail I'd feed them to the pigs. You don't even realize that it needs to be anti-aliased. I'd rather not even see the rest of that portrait since it sucks; it was like the 4th portrait I'd ever attempted before I knew a thing about pixels too.
I do like that in this attempt to make you crawl back to ID where you belong as a primadonna spriter of sorts (since they don't even have a spriting section and every sprite created there sucks), I've received some valuable feedback from other meaningful members like Vanya and Tea. I almost feel like this is American Idol and you guys are the judges :). Thanks everyone else not mentioned for supporting my art even though I do agree with a lot of the negative crits. When I get back maybe I'll make another version for kicks.
Instead of being a criticaster throwing around half ass comments and irritating us spriters why don't you entertain us by posting the totally epic Cactuar portrait you made? Or make your own flan portrait... I was kind of hoping there would be more of them since it's a fun character to attempt and Choto suggested it.

Dome

That Flan's portrait looks awesome
Just one thing:
Quote from: Pickle Girl Fanboy on April 08, 2012, 07:14:50 pm
The stuff dripping from the upper lip is too regular (they look like teeth), and it makes the flan look like a golem.  The drips should be irregular, and it should have a nastier smile.

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

Jon

I think in general your sprites are good, but your Flan portrait doesn't fit the FFT style. The sprite itself works though, just the portrait looks weird. Compare for example Dome's portrait, the Byblos, to the Flan and you'll see what I mean.

Lol at crawl back to ID where you belong, this is the internet, I belong where I feel like it. Also what I find funny is that you easily accept crits like "oh wow that's great" (without really describing what is great about it other than its look) but you get into such a hissy fit when some other spriter (and why do you make it sound like I'm not a spriter? "us spriters"? that means me too) actually says "look, the portrait is unbeffitting FFT, you just have to change x and y and it would look better and possibly work." I'm not trying to be a troll if my comments don't please you. I'm just trying to help you improve your portrait.

Pickle Girl Fanboy

My POV on thisL: Lijj usually accepts crits from Mav and other spriters, even from you in the past.  Something went on somewhere else recently, it seems, behind the scenes, and Lijj is reacting to that, I think.  Perhaps someone stole his work without attribution, perhaps someone said something really mean and stupid.  Maybe Voldemort has a hand in this.

I'm sure we'll find out soon.

In b4 flame war.

QuoteAnd thus began the War Of the Flames, in the Third Age of FFHacktics, with a spriters duel over a solitary flan.
~AJ Durai

Jon

If Lijj is pissed at someone behind the scenes, it sure as hell ain't me. I state everything clearly right here on the forums. Lol Third Age of FFH...

Lijj

Jon post your Cactuar portrait so I can critique you for once.
I'm not mad at anyone, not even you Jonny boy... I just get a kick out of over doing it; for words need to be elaborated on garrilously sometimes.  I get a bit flustered at so many critiques... I don't have the time to please everyone here and I still stand by the comments I made about you not having as much value as other spriters, as a spriter. Show me you are competent and I will respect your critiques more. I accept crits more gracefully from mav because his ports are usually impeccable
What my problem is- is that I'm super busy (my rent's too high also).. I have one labor job which is insanely taxing since some days are 16 hours long, but avg 12 with only 1 30 minute break and I have 3 commissions to do (one being a set of two so technically 4) to do on top of that in-between (I'll have a whole month off soon, but will have to bust out one digital painting and finish the first half of another [off means working at home]) Also wanting to work on Tethical and make sprites for FFT as a casual escape.
PGF your post cracks me up "In b4 flame war" lol. Fan the flames guys.. lets keep the spriting section interesting!
Be home soon... can't wait to make art again.