• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:41:51 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

First Frankeinsprite after following CONMAN guide

Started by Reikan, October 22, 2018, 09:47:08 pm

Reikan

October 22, 2018, 09:47:08 pm Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 04:32:07 pm by Reikan
Hello. It's my first post and first topic here  ;)

I've been lurking around for around a month and learning stuff for a project I have in mind. Since I don't like bothering regulars, I decided to follow some guides and try my luck with Spriting.

My first sprite will be used to replace the Oracle generic sprite (I'm planning to turn the class into a personal Warlock). I took Elmdor's sprite, changed palette to fit Oracle 2nd palette (Blue), then removed anything that wasn't head-related. Then, I swapped the Oracle original head for the new one.

I know that posting this won't add much to the forums because it was a simple work, but I wanted to share my happiness for being able to "create" (even though it was just frankeinspriting...) a new, funcional sprite. If you are reading this and you're new to spriting: Asking around for a sprite usually doesn't give you good results, so it would be a nice idea to spend some time learning. It pays off :)

I'm sorry if the post broke any rules and/or annoyed you guys. Also, any thoughts/tips are welcome and needed.

PS: English is not my main language so i'm doing my best here not to type wrong stuff, please don't mind any typos.

PSĀ²: I don't think anyone is going to use this because it isn't really great, but feel free to use it. I'd like if you gave me credits, though.

Edit: Worked on the smurf aspect. Now the hair is separated from the clothes and we can further edit it with more details.
  • Modding version: PSX
Life... slips away.

3lric

Not bad. Though the hair on the portait could use some work. You might want to try to work another blue into there to vary it a bit. Keep it up.

Reikan

The hair on portrait was almost entirely me adding hair to the Oracle portrait. I used Graphics Gale and it was quite a tedious job.

I'll touch it later. Thanks for the input, much appreciated.
Life... slips away.

Xifanie

Quote from: Reikan on October 22, 2018, 09:47:08 pm
I'm sorry if the post broke any rules and/or annoyed you guys. Also, any thoughts/tips are welcome and needed.

Alright, here's the deal. We've literally never had anyone apologize in advance for breaking rules (you're far from the first one), and seen them break any rules. Ever. Many people who do break the rules are aware that they commonly do so in general, and can get extremely aggressive when being called out on it. Some things are just a lack of decency as human beings toward others, and they will hate being called out on those as well. They will defend their positions to the point of resorting to personal attacks. i.e. People who are the most concerned about breaking rules never do. I mean, it's obvious that you are a very good and mindul person, but there's no need to be so apologetic, you can make people far happier by focusing on what you can do to help them, rather than how to avoid hurting them!

It might suck to hear, but your sprite right now kinda looks like a smurf. Far too much blue. It might be hard to give the hair its own palette of colour, but it would help tremendously make the sprite appealing to the eye. But hey, you've actually created something; that's more than what 99% of people do around these parts.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Reikan

Hey Xif. Thanks for the input.

Honestly that hair isn't really hard to edit. I have plenty of free time and I like doing some pixel work. I'll be working to change the hair palette, it will also be easier to deal with the Palette #2 (Which is, currently, exactly the same as #1, and I gotta change that). As I said, it ended like that because it was a simple work of frankeinspriting, I had some ideas on how to go on but you guys are far better than me and some tips would greatly develop my learning process.

My attention was entirely on the sprite looking fluid/usable in the game, so I paid attention on every frame to check if things had consistency. I'll edit the topic when I update the sprite.
Life... slips away.

Valkirst

Hey Reikan I like what you're doing with your sprite. I just wanted to show you some examples of long hair for the portrait you're working on.  I think this Sephiroth portrait, in particular, might serve your purposes.
Completed Sprites
  • Discord username: Valkirst

Reikan

Quote from: Valkirst on November 19, 2018, 10:27:57 pm
Hey Reikan I like what you're doing with your sprite. I just wanted to show you some examples of long hair for the portrait you're working on.  I think this Sephiroth portrait, in particular, might serve your purposes.

Sorry for late reply and thanks for adding to the topic.

I feel like my biggest issue with my sprite is that I felt the portrait was looking too different from the other generic sprites. Now I realise that is because the base palette was changed, so no more blonde characters mean something different in the job wheel. Taking in the account the examples you gave, I feel like the palette went wrong too - Even though those are colors in the same pattern of FFT, they aren't harmonic to the point they add in a portrait way. It's just shades of the same colour and I'll have to find a way around it.

About the structure - I'd like to leave the 2 hair locks (is this how it's called? english is my 2nd language) because they're shown in the battle sprite aswell, weaving and separating from the rest of the hair. I guess the structure is in the right way, but I can't find a way to make them harmonic.

I only saw your post today (been busy lately - surprisingly), so i'll be touching the portrait to update here as soon as I have free time.
Life... slips away.