• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:38:26 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

The Chronicles of Kanbabrif

Started by Bastard Poetry, May 17, 2008, 07:20:29 am

LastingDawn

February 10, 2009, 08:06:56 am #480 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Heh, well to each their own... really that sort of music, or animation isn't really for everyone. But I do agree that hentai is a corruption of the art form. It gives a gross generalization to what should be some anime. As time has gone by, I found if difficulty to get into many of them, I think it has to have a certain theme... I love psychology and symbolism, so normally if I do watch an anime, it has to have a Lot of that, but I digress...

Is there going to be a recap of the first part with updated graphics and the like? As well as small biography (packages?) I don't know why... but I feel that would for some reason fit with the Zodiac Brave Story section, heh... rambling now.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

SentinalBlade

February 10, 2009, 09:45:36 am #481 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
Sure, though i think i can probably get a direct rip if i find a video codec for them. dont hesitate to ask again :)

I find it funny, i cant stand many animes at all, but the most recent one, Gungrave, had me hooked. i meant to only watch one episode, but the first episode made me go "wtf was that?" and then the second episode really gave me an idea of what was going ot happen"basically ep 1 was in the future" and i loved it death...2 kids in a gang get all their friends killed, join the mofia, and...oh yea, no spoilers.

pfft, you know i dont like to spoil

anyways, good luck with the schooling, and the kitchen duty.

Cheetah

February 10, 2009, 12:32:57 pm #482 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
I have given some thought to redoing Part I with events and then probably HD recordings. It is definitely a long ways off though. I think it would depend on fan response to Part II.
Current Projects:

Smitson

February 11, 2009, 12:25:28 am #483 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Smitson
When's part 2 out? Last I heard Bastards computer crashed or got stolen(something along those lines). But that was months ago and I haven't been keeping up.

Cheetah

February 11, 2009, 01:32:34 am #484 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
We have officially restarted work on it for the past few months. Slow but steady, we aren't setting any release dates yet and are focusing on quality.
Current Projects:

Smitson

February 11, 2009, 03:26:19 pm #485 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Smitson
Quote from: "Cheetah"We have officially restarted work on it for the past few months. Slow but steady, we aren't setting any release dates yet and are focusing on quality.

Ahh i see. Slow and steady wins the race  :D.

Cheetah

February 11, 2009, 08:56:32 pm #486 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
I need some opinions on how the colors here look for a sunset setting. My main concern is the background gradient. Though I can control the tones of the map and the sprites as well.
Current Projects:

Llednar

February 11, 2009, 09:08:14 pm #487 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Llednar
I think it is perfect.

Kokojo

February 11, 2009, 11:17:10 pm #488 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kokojo
perhaps a little more of orange toward the top, or pink at the very top, otherwise perfect.
I keep leaving, I keep coming back. Boomerang boy.

LastingDawn

February 11, 2009, 11:20:39 pm #489 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Ah! A use of Lesalia's unused maps, looks excellent!

Art of War

Cheetah

February 12, 2009, 12:08:01 am #490 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
I was thinking the same thing Kokojo. Problem is that I only have two colors to work with. But I think I will make the top color a bit oranger.
Current Projects:

Bastard Poetry

February 18, 2009, 05:44:00 pm #491 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Bastard Poetry
Actually, LastingDawn, we intend to use those maps to represent Zeltennia, rather than Lesalia. So, everyone reading, get used to that idea.

Zeltennia. Castle walls and shit. Zeltennia.

Let's keep it memorized, because we can't have some little company like Square confusing the matter with the names they gave their unused maps. I have decided those are Zeltennia. (And it makes sense, too, because they have red flags, and I thought I saw those same red flags draped on the walls during those "inside Zeltennia" scenes with Delita, Orlandu, Olan, etc.)

Also, news update:

Progress didn't just slow down; it came to screeching halt. My professors at school, for this particular semester, seem to have the first half of the term confused with the second half. By that I mean: they're dumping mountains of "finals-like" work on our faces like it's going out of style. Plus, a recent debilitating sickness caused me to fall behind, so I've been struggling like hell to catch up. AND, on top of it all, I've had some extremely serious drama, bullshit and health problems to deal with.

Things are already getting better, though. I caught up, for one thing. I still have a shit load of work to do, but I'm slowly finding better ways to manage my time so I can get what needs to be done done more efficiently, which in turn frees up a little bit of time to work on the Chronicles.

Also, my apologies to any and all people involved in that New Projects drama I inadvertently started last week. That was bad timing on my part, trying to express myself on minor board issues in the midst of serious IRL turmoils. Some of that shit ended up leaking through into my posts, and the whole ordeal ended up turning into something far worse then it had any right to be, and I certainly did my best to fuel that flame. I was not at my best, I don't hold any grudges against any of you, and I hope none of you hold any against me either.

/drama, for fucking ever.

This topic definitely goes through its silent phases, and real life definitely gets in our way, but rest assured that Cheetah and I are still absolutely dedicated to finishing Part II. When shit holds him back, I'm usually in a good place to get lots of work done. When shit holds me back, he similarly morphs into a super beaver--of the eager variety. (Or a nasty fucking killer Cheetah with crazy productive skillz. Either or).

That's everything in a nutshell. Time to get back to work.

All Glory to Kanbabrif
Final Fantasy Tactics - Thief SSCC:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL73FB72C01D917FD6&feature=viewall

(Fully recorded LP; successes, failures, and most things inbetween)

Archael

February 18, 2009, 06:15:23 pm #492 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
get better soon man!!!

IRL has seriously not been in your favor as of late

first  the Thieves with Steal Computer

then getting a job

and then more shit

and now this

best of luck on getting things back in order

Archael

March 01, 2009, 01:35:54 am #493 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
bump

BP I plan to help massively with this over the summer, semester has me way too tied down atm for anything extra (whether it ends up being work for part 2 or another)

just fyi

Cheetah

March 04, 2009, 08:03:44 pm #494 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Update From the Producer:

Loyal fans of the Chronicles of Kanbabrif (COK) have been waiting very patiently with no end in site for Part II so I thought I would give you a peek into what is taking so long and a small preview with MINOR SPOILERS. This is going to be a bit lengthy for those who are dying for details, everyone else can just skip down to the link at the bottom for the preview.

First off I'm Cheetah, Bastard Poetry's partner in crime and one of my main responsibilities is pushing the quality and production value of the COK upwards. BP and I joined forces officially shortly after the release of Part I and have been working diligently on Part II ever since. You have heard a lot about the drama that has slowed progress on the project from BP, but let me tell you about the work that has been done behind the scenes.

Part I: BP did all of Part I with only minor graphic changes, save state edits, some minor hacking, and lots of video editing. Almost all the cool effects BP managed involved post production editing, the only control he had over camera and characters was in battle actions, even the text was inserted while video editing. An impressive piece of work to say the least.

Part II (pre computer theft): My main contribution to the COK was going to be graphics work. Almost all of the main characters have custom sprites, every new character has a custom portrait of some kind, and almost everyone at least has a unique palette for their sprite for Part II. BP and I also came up with ways to add more movement to the characters using video editing so that the characters wouldn't be so static. All these things can be seen in action in the super secret Scene 5 preview along with some other minor advances in hacking. Everything was going to look pretty similar to Part I, just a little smoother and with custom graphics. Part II was actually very very close to being produced using these methods and before the computer theft almost a third of Part II had already been completed.

Part II (post computer theft): With the lost of BP's computer essentially all recording and editing up to that point had been lost, along with the means of recording an editing more (aka "COK Crisis 2008"). BP was forced to take an extended break and recording was put on hold, however the hacking community continued to make advances and I continued to scheme. Shortly after the COK Crisis, editing story events in FFT became possible. This opened a whole new arena for story telling and I immediately set about seeing if it could be integrated into the Chronicles. Using event editing we now have control over camera angles, in game custom animations, total character control, in game text bubbles, weather control, and battle flow. Along with the jump to HD and more advances in general hacking the quality of Part II has made a huge leap forward. This makes the whole process a bit more labor intensive, but I think the results speak for themselves.

The preview that follows is the opening of Scene 5 done using only event editing, no video editing at all. Note that this is choppy and the sound is messed up due to my computer and in no way indicates the visual quality of the final product. Only minor spoilers are contained and much of the dialog is a place holder.

Chronicles of Kanbabrif: Part II Scene 5 Intro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5EGyr1TYDo
Current Projects:

Xifanie

March 04, 2009, 08:56:18 pm #495 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
I watched all the events and I'll bring those points to fix:

- Philsov rotates too fast to look at Fanatic.
- BP and Chaumel should have a UnitAnim x02 after you make them appear on the screen.
- You should switch to a battle song when those two appear.
- When Philsov says "..." his name should appear too. Currently the window is very small and it doesn't look very good.

Also as CoK is a video project, you might want to prioritize the {close} function.
Use it instead of {end} to have a determined length.
If you're supposed to flip pages manually, just use a Wait and ChangeDialog; I forgot to rename it so it's still CloseDialog in the new CONFIG.INI,

I liked the darkened screen, philsov walking back, and of course Fanatic's threat.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Bastard Poetry

March 04, 2009, 11:19:59 pm #496 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Bastard Poetry
That was very well described, Cheetah.

A few people have been given behind-the-scenes access to the work we've done, including our VIP Piercewise, our Associate Producer Lasting Dawn (Cheetah's event-editing assistant) and our Technical Adviser Voldemort, whose main purpose is to make sure that my recording work is done in the absolute best HD quality possible.

Now that we're pushing forward with so many greater and newer ideas, rest assured that Part II is going to knock some socks off. I know that a good number of you are avoiding spoilers at this point, so continue to avoid these things that we share with you to the best of your abilities if you truly want Part II to be a completely fresh experience for you when it's released.

However, don't feel bad if curiosity gets the best of you. Know that we have a lot of surprises in store for you guys in Part II, and the few things we've revealed merely scratch the surface.

With that said..

You guys know that I'm absolutely terrible about keeping "secret scenes" to myself. Once we have something that looks great, I can't wait to share it with you guys. Mr. Quick is a good example of this; my original goal was to keep his existence secretive.. but I just couldn't help but put a quote of his in my sig.

So, I'd like to also share this, to show off the new HD standards:

Intro to Scene 6
http://www.museofoblivion.com/Scene6_HD720.html

It's just an FMV sequence to "build up" to a big scene, and then it shows a couple of quick pics (not finalized, at all) of the battle, and goes black for a few minutes (just to play a little more of the music). Unfortunately, the cost of HD is looonnggg buffering time. Be patient. It won't play until the whole video is buffered, so set it to buffer, go do something else for awhile and come back to it later.

The good news is: you'll find that it loads instantly every time you come back to it, once you've buffered it once.

Enjoy!

@Zodiac
The music doesn't matter, actually. I intend to give the scenes an entirely different soundtrack.

Good feedback! I don't understand event editing all that well, but I can definitely understand the points you made, and they sound ideal.

Also, would it be possible to put the character portraits in all of the dialogue boxes? Cheetah, I still haven't started with my formatting work on the script yet, so let me know how portraits would effect the size of the boxes.

Bastard Poetry

March 04, 2009, 11:34:11 pm #497 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Bastard Poetry
Oh, and I keep forgetting to reply to you, Voldemort:

I really appreciate the offer. As it currently stands, we don't really need any extra help on Part II. We have everything we need, it's just a matter of getting it done, and the time it would take to catch someone up to speed would slow everything down more.

If I had to guess, I'd say that this summer will possibly be the time we start work on Part III, and we intend to start recruiting new people for the work. I'm not going to make any promises, and we're certainly not ready to begin discussing it in depth now, but Cheetah and I have examined some potential candidates, if they're up to the task.

Oh hell, I'll just throw out a few names, so they can start thinking about it in the meantime:

Kokojo (Event Editing) w/ Cheetah
Philsov (Mechanics and Battle Choreography) w/ BP
Voldemort (Mechanics and Filming) w/ BP
Kuraudo Sutoraifu (Graphic Design) w/ Junk & BP
Junk the Monk (Graphic Design) w/ KS & BP

Junk, by the way, is my friend and coworker here in Fort Collins. He and I have been discussing alternative animation work, since I'm tired of using FMVs from other games.

If anyone out there is capable of doing some kick-ass graphic design stuff, don't be shy when the time comes to start forming the production team for Part III.

But, as I've said, Part II is in the bag. Cheetah and I just need our fans to be patient with the fact that our lives are busy busy busy.

LastingDawn

March 05, 2009, 01:52:23 pm #498 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Looking excellent! That's quite an impressive array, Cheetah and Bastard Poetry, also the intro to 6 was quite delightful. That music was top notch! Though I've never heard if before...

Art of War

Bastard Poetry

March 05, 2009, 02:36:20 pm #499 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Bastard Poetry
That is actually only the first 1/3rd of the track. It's ~14 minutes long, and it will span the entirety of Scenes 6, 7 and 8.

It's the instrumental version of "The Poet and the Pendulum" by Nightwish.

I'm not a huge fan of their new singer, but I'm absolutely in love with the BONUS Instrumental Version of their newest album, Dark Passion Play.