• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 09:46:39 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Is it possible to add more encounters?

Started by Harrier Strike, November 07, 2016, 10:20:19 am

Harrier Strike

Hello everyone! First, let me congratulate everyone of you for the great job all of you have done for the game! Hope this community never dies. It's full of talentous creators and it would be shame if something like that happened... Well, I have a question!

Is it possible -through ASM hacking or ENTD editing-  to add more encounters? For example, can I add a random encounter in, I don't know... Fort Zeakden? Or if there's any ASM mods which allows to battle in a specific map (Dorter Slums, Sand Rat Cellar, etc..)?

Well... This also doesn't apply to the question, but I was always wondering... Is it possible to add more songs to random encounters (others beside Apoplexy... etc)? I mean playing a random encounter while 'Battle on the Bridge' plays on the background?

Thanks for reading and I hope to find some answers.

Again, congratulations for your amazing work here! Not for being a suck-up... But I'm really impressed!
  • Modding version: PSX

Xifanie

All the random encounter data is tied to a range of location IDs; all towns are grouped together, and all random encounter locations are grouped together. Turning a town into a random battle location, or a random battle location into a town would be far too much trouble (considering a very experienced ASM hacker). Even turning locations such as Fort Zeakden into a town is pretty ugly because you need to "emulate" the shop inventory of another existing town.

I've never wondered about the songs... this is weird because this data is not part of the random battle data table. It's possible there is another table somewhere that specifies which song to use per location.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Harrier Strike

Okay. Thanks for the technical explanation. I have tested some of your ASM hacks by the way. They're awesome. Right now I'm enjoying the smart encounters one.

I'm also wondering if there's an asm hack that allows you to replay story battles? Also! In your ASM hack that turns off the music (i think random encounter music is too repetitive, then I put another song in the background), how can you turn it on again?

Thanks again.

Arimala

QuoteAlso! In your ASM hack that turns off the music (i think random encounter music is too repetitive, then I put another song in the background), how can you turn it on again?

For this i just made two isos.. one with all my asm hacks except for the no music hack and then another iso with the no music hack included. Not sure if there would be another way.

Harrier Strike

Quote from: Arimala on November 18, 2016, 05:02:37 pm
For this i just made two isos.. one with all my asm hacks except for the no music hack and then another iso with the no music hack included. Not sure if there would be another way.

Thanks for clearing it up man.