• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:47:10 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Smash's Sprite thread

Started by Smash, February 07, 2009, 09:40:55 pm

mav

December 09, 2009, 08:11:31 am #440 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by mav
Jesus, that's a gorgeous sprite. I don't really see any problems, perhaps the left wing looks too connected to the body? I dunno. Honestly, this is a really hard sprite to criticize, since it's so custom. Is this monster going to fly like the Black Chocobo and the Tiamat (among others), or will it walk like the standard Dragons and the rest of 'em?

Very nice work, Smash. Your human sprites on the previous page are great too. Make sure to submit that Dancer.

Sephirot24

December 09, 2009, 11:11:26 am #441 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Sephirot24
Woah, that looks stunning Smash!!!
I'm curious as to what would his walking animation be :)

Xifanie

December 09, 2009, 11:37:03 am #442 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
Smash,

teach me how to sprite.

Oh wait, I can use those... Hmmm... Hey I thought about making some javascript shit or something that would allow viewing the next/previous step of your spriting method. Well you know, at the same location so we could easily and quickly notice the differences. I thought about making a GIF at first but the fixed delay is bad.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Cheetah

December 09, 2009, 11:49:20 am #443 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Is the Wyvern design from Vagrant Story? It certainly looks like it, and that would be a very good source for inspiration. It looks great regardless. I am so looking forward to the bangaa being done as well. My only criticism is that the sprite who matches your signature, the front of the hair looks a bit funny. I can tell that you are trying to get it to look like it is swooped back because of the portrait, but it needs a bit more details or another shade somewhere in there. Otherwise all those sprite designs look great and I reall like their hair and cloths.
Current Projects:

jimmyjw88

December 09, 2009, 12:03:20 pm #444 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by jimmyjw88
Whoa...That Wyvern is amazing!!! Though will it fit? Because Dragon is quite big already if you look at the sheet.
Overall, great job. Definitely looking forward to these.
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Jon

December 09, 2009, 12:48:40 pm #445 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Jon
Wow, its a shame that I never saw this stuff before, because you are a really good spriter. Really! Smash, do you use Photoshop? I am also a spriter (not really on your level though, but I am getting there) and I was wondering what program you use to do all these with. Nice job on the wyvern and bangaa, and the humans of course too! Also, I always felt that FFT was sorta missing some of the best bosses that you see in almost every one of the older FF games, namely the Lich, Marilith, the Kraken and Tiamat (though technically Tiamat is in the game as a powerful Wyvern and Lich is a summon) and also Omega and Shinryu. I think I will make sprites of those. Once I do, could you judge them for me? Awesome work and keep it up :)
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

jimmyjw88

December 09, 2009, 01:03:04 pm #446 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by jimmyjw88
Well, Smash is the best spriter here ^^ The King.
I'll help Smash answer; MS Paint OWNED!!!! Haha.
He use Ms paint. For palettes swapping, use GraphicGale or Gimp but majorities are using GraphicGale. I think there's a tutorial for GraphicGale somewhere. Try look around.
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Jon

December 09, 2009, 01:37:51 pm #447 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Jon
I wonder if though Photoshop is good to use too...anyway, before I discovered FFHacktics, I used to make screen shots with espsxe emu of maps and sorta rip them very slowly and then reconstruct them in Photoshop. For example, I would take 5 shots of Mandalia Plains, 1 for each corner and one more screen shot when all the units move to different places, just so I could edit it quicker in Photoshop. Do this 8 times (rotate x4 and also the zoom out x4) and then you have a map. This is unbelievably easy to do and I was wondering if I could post maps somewhere on this site? Also, is it possible yet with the tools that are currently available to import custom maps into the game? So far I havent seen any maps on here...and doing unit icons is still pretty tough for me...

SilvasRuin

December 09, 2009, 01:42:46 pm #448 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SilvasRuin
Fantastic.  I've been hoping someone would make a flying dragon.  I was planning to eventually take a crack at removing the side heads from the hydras, but this is even better.  I'll have to see it in action before I can determine if the serpentine neck is easy to pick out from the rest of it or not, but it looks like you've got it nailed in that frame.

I look forward to seeing its breath/bite frames.

Jon, I forget where it is, but there is a program that lets you view the maps from every angle, even directly overhead (which the game doesn't actually support...).  There's notes there about editing the maps too, but I don't recall any of it.  It was beyond me.

Jon

December 09, 2009, 01:47:19 pm #449 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Jon
Thanks for the info Silvas! Oh man, if anyone has this program or knows where to get it, please inform me! Making custom maps is what I do best hahaha!

Xifanie

December 09, 2009, 01:58:12 pm #450 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
Quote from: "jimmyjw88"For palettes swapping, use GraphicGale or Gimp but majorities are using GraphicGale. I think there's a tutorial for GraphicGale somewhere. Try look around.

I already made a program called the palette editor:
http://www.ffhacktics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3901

I doubt Gimp/GraphicsGale comes close to the palette editing ability of my program.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Kagebunji

December 09, 2009, 03:33:50 pm #451 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kagebunji
All those concepts are simply amazing.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Smash

December 09, 2009, 03:42:30 pm #452 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Smash
Im planning to replace hydras, for them wyverns to fly.
Indeed from VS, LD.

Zodiac, when making animations or comparing frames, I just put one over another in paint (opaque mode), and then go undo/redo to see the changes. A program seems too much work for things like this.
I've also tried Gifs before.

And Jon:
http://www.ffhacktics.com/maps.php

Also, real men use paint for pixeling. Special effects? Layers? Gradients? Pffft, they won't save you. :P
Brush toolx1 ftw.

Aquablack

December 09, 2009, 03:59:43 pm #453 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Aquablack
That wyvern looks fantastic, your spriting skills amaze me, Smash.

I can do little more than franken-spriting.

Cheetah

December 09, 2009, 04:38:05 pm #454 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
I think more specifically this is what you are looking for Jon:
http://www.ffhacktics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20
Gomtuu is freaking awesome and his map viewer is amazing. I have been waiting for a bit more editing power, a lot is possible right now but it is very difficult and time consuming. Also check out the wiki for Gomtuu's detailed breakdown of everything.

Oh and I'm not LD, Smash ;) Great to see a quality VS reference though. Oh and on your more armored sprite, I think he needs a bit of neck or division between the chest armor and his face. I dig his hair though.
Current Projects:

Kokojo

December 09, 2009, 06:13:41 pm #455 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kokojo
http://www.ffhacktics.com/forum/viewtop ... 9&start=40

Well withouth offense, he might look for the editor too, Cheetah ! Althought I STILL can't get it running.
I keep leaving, I keep coming back. Boomerang boy.

LastingDawn

December 09, 2009, 10:18:47 pm #456 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Vagrant Story! I am glad to see that you represented the Wyverns in such a way, incredible work, Smash! Great to have you back!
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Vanya

December 09, 2009, 10:20:11 pm #457 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Indeed, It looks pretty damn good!
¯\(°_0)/¯

Smash

December 09, 2009, 10:38:02 pm #458 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Smash
Quote from: "Cheetah"Oh and I'm not LD, Smash ;) Great to see a quality VS reference though. Oh and on your more armored sprite, I think he needs a bit of neck or division between the chest armor and his face. I dig his hair though.
Wait.. Wtflol.

I could've sworn it was LD back in the morning.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

jimmyjw88

December 09, 2009, 11:32:57 pm #459 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by jimmyjw88
Ah...Thanks, Zodiac. I'll be sure to get that program.