• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:07:38 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Game freezes then crashes when character crystalizes

Started by Grandeneko, October 19, 2009, 02:29:36 pm

Grandeneko

October 19, 2009, 02:29:36 pm Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Grandeneko
I've pretty much familiarized myself with the do's and don'ts of FFTPatcher but there is obviously something I am doing wrong.

(I'm using it with the PSP version by the way, and yes I started off by making a new 'PSP Patch')

The only thing I did that lead up to the problem is changed a couple skills in the skill set of Squire for test purposes.

I gave him Choco Cure and Entice.

Now whenever the clock hits zero for a dead squire the game freezes then crashes after a second or two. Any Suggestions? Anyone else have this problem?

Solidor

October 19, 2009, 07:01:22 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Solidor
You sure you didnt patch the text too? Thats what was causing the glitch for me till I changed the crystalization message. If you did patch the text then you need to open up FFtac and find the crystal message and change it into something else, something generic like: Unit turned to Crystal yo!!!shift+1" or something.

Wasabi

October 21, 2009, 04:26:20 am #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Wasabi
Questions for the both of you:

1. Grandeneko, did your patch crash simply with just the edited skillsets with FFTPatcher? Have you applied an FFTactext patch on your patch as well?

2. Solidor, are you certain the crash is caused by a text malfunction and nothing hardcoded from the PSP version? The crash is directly caused during the crystallization process. Have you tested to see if there was a crash (during crystallization) from when you applied either the game patch or the text patch but not both?

Please be specific. Your contributions in this endeavor will greatly help in understanding what's going down in the PSP version. Either post in this topic or send me a PM.

Solidor

October 21, 2009, 06:58:48 am #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Solidor
http://www.ffhacktics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2768
I patched my PSP iso 3 times(including some text) and all 3 times it would crash when the enemy turned to crystal. But when I changed the message to: "Unit has turned to crystal", inplace of the default message I did not get the crash anymore.

Worryingly for the TC though there is another guy with the same crystal bug but he is certain he did not change any text in the game. So idk, maybe there is another less well known bug which involves the crystals somehow but occurs even when no text has been edited. My advice would be to just change the message even if you did not originally make any edits to the text and also probably always do edits on a clean ISO.

Wasabi

October 21, 2009, 04:33:18 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Wasabi
I and many others have experienced the "crystallization" bug, and it's been my goal in the past month to narrow down what the inherent problem might be. At first I believed the bug might have had something to do with how the abilities were hardcoded into the specific skillset, which caused some concern (in the PSP version) of whether swapping abilities was an issue. My "quick" solution was flagging every class with an immunity to Crystal to deal with the problem, but knowing that the bug may lie elsewhere was still stuck behind my head.

A quick test whether crystallization is possible by applying a game patch BUT NOT applying a text patch will ensure that the problem is within FFTactext for the PSP version. If possible, Grandeneko, I'd like to hear your thoughts, present progress on your patching and results on this matter within this topic. And thanks Solidor for your reply. :)

Wasabi

October 22, 2009, 10:40:41 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Wasabi
I tested my patch, and it does seem to be a text glitch. Very weird, but granted, this is the PSP version.

I'll see if I can request a sticky from Zodiac or a moderator about this issue, so that no one will have to bear any frustration or have to ask around what to do about an unexpected crash during crystallization.

Vanya

October 23, 2009, 08:27:13 am #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Another possibility is if you added any sprites that have more than 5 palettes it will cause a crash when the unit crystallizes if their palette is set to 6, 7, or 8.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯