• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:53:38 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Converting portrait for .SPR use.

Started by Gallion-Beast, June 07, 2009, 09:52:10 pm

Gallion-Beast

June 07, 2009, 09:52:10 pm Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Gallion-Beast
I'm trying to change the portrait on an existing spritesheet, but I'm unsure how to change the colours of it to work (ie it looks like a normal portrait, how do I change it so it has mixed up colours like the ones on normal spritesheets?)

Haven't seen in mentioend in any guides I've found, so any help woudl be appreciated.

CidIII

June 07, 2009, 11:24:25 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by CidIII
You don't need to.

If you did it correctly it should work when you import the .bmp back into Shishi's, if for some odd reason you want it to be inverted then just reexport the .SPR file.
I refuse to play Final Fantasy Tactics again until I am able to do my FF6 patch! And, FFT 1.3 doesn't technically count as FFT: so there!

Gallion-Beast

June 08, 2009, 10:07:15 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Gallion-Beast
Quote from: "CidIII"You don't need to.

If you did it correctly it should work when you import the .bmp back into Shishi's, if for some odd reason you want it to be inverted then just reexport the .SPR file.

Ah, I'd assumed if it didn't need to be like that, it wouldn't.
Though upon trying I got this

Presumably because it's using different colours, could you tell me how to match them? I tried using gimp>Image>Mode>Indexed...>Generate optimum palette with 16 colours, but then Shishi just gave me this error and wouldn't import.

CidIII

June 08, 2009, 11:24:58 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by CidIII
What are you trying to do add different portrait for Beatrix?

And the sprite needs to have 256 colors (256 Bit) in order to work in game.

The 16 colors is only for UNIT.BIN/WLDFACE.BIN.
I refuse to play Final Fantasy Tactics again until I am able to do my FF6 patch! And, FFT 1.3 doesn't technically count as FFT: so there!

jimmyjw88

June 08, 2009, 11:47:29 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by jimmyjw88
Yup. Also, remember to check your portrait palettes.
And, sometimes you need to use old shishi to check while some use new shishi to check.
As you can see, the portrait becomes a mess in the above and there's another portrait with bg colours at the bottom.
That is because the position of portrait is different. Some is at bottom while some is at the middle.
So, you'll have to use the correct shishi to view the right spritesheet.
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Gallion-Beast

June 09, 2009, 03:24:06 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Gallion-Beast
Quote from: "CidIII"What are you trying to do add different portrait for Beatrix?

And the sprite needs to have 256 colors (256 Bit) in order to work in game.

The 16 colors is only for UNIT.BIN/WLDFACE.BIN.
Yeah, I thought it'd be nice to have her portrait from FFIX.

Quote from: "jimmyjw88"Yup. Also, remember to check your portrait palettes.
And, sometimes you need to use old shishi to check while some use new shishi to check.
As you can see, the portrait becomes a mess in the above and there's another portrait with bg colours at the bottom.
That is because the position of portrait is different. Some is at bottom while some is at the middle.
So, you'll have to use the correct shishi to view the right spritesheet.
Thanks, older shishi gives me this

Looks the same in game. How do alter the palette to avoid the grey blotches?

jimmyjw88

June 09, 2009, 09:31:38 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by jimmyjw88
Palettes. You'll have to change the portrait's palettes in ths spritesheet.
That is, if you made any alteration of the portrait; therefore, when you paste that portrait into spritesheet, you'll have to change the palettes of the spritesheet to match the new edited portrait that you just paste.
And voila, perfect portrait. ^^

EDIT: Using GIMP or GraphicGale by the way.
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Gallion-Beast

June 11, 2009, 11:25:44 am #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Gallion-Beast
Quote from: "jimmyjw88"Palettes. You'll have to change the portrait's palettes in ths spritesheet.
That is, if you made any alteration of the portrait; therefore, when you paste that portrait into spritesheet, you'll have to change the palettes of the spritesheet to match the new edited portrait that you just paste.
And voila, perfect portrait. ^^

EDIT: Using GIMP or GraphicGale by the way.
Any chance you could walk me through how? I have absolutely no idea.

jimmyjw88

June 12, 2009, 11:00:05 am #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by jimmyjw88
Sure ^^

Notice the blue circle. That is 1st 16 palettes of the spritesheet (zero included). These 16 palettes are the sprite palettes. Zero is definitely black, as you see the whole spritesheet is black in colour; so when you are altering the sprite palettes, start from 1 - 15.

Notice the red circle. That is palettes from 128 to 143, which are the palettes of the portrait for the spritesheet. Palettes 128 is grey or whatever colour that is, which is the background colour for every portrait. So, when you are altering the portrait's palettes, start from palettes 129 -143.

Now, notice the green circle. That is the palettes of the portrait from 0 - 15 (the 16 colour palettes). So, when trying to make the portrait looks perfect in the game or shishi, all you have to do is replace the palettes from the portrait that you have changed, and paste them into the spritesheet portrait's palettes, which is 129 to 143.

Once that is done, the portrait will look perfect in shishi and game.

Gallion-Beast

June 14, 2009, 10:38:02 am #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Gallion-Beast
Thanks a bunch, I got it working. Still get the "The imported file had some pixels that weren't in the first 16 palette entries" error message when I import into shishi for some reason, but hey as long as it works fine in game what harm?

jimmyjw88

June 14, 2009, 11:46:12 am #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by jimmyjw88
My pleasure ^^
Yea. I get that too but it looks perfect. So, I didn't actually bother about it ^^