• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:38:23 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

We need MOAR Monsters

Started by CONMAN, May 29, 2011, 08:33:15 pm

Kagebunji

Looking good there, awesome to see you still doing stuff :D
Motivates me to start doing stuff again, haha.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

CONMAN

Thanks for the support guys.  I'm going to use the cougar sprite as reference for feet.  Noticed the attack frames have a weird split.  Like the 4/5 are an uppercut, while the 6/7 are like a swinging for the feet....never noticed that. 

I've had the urge to sprite several times, but the amount the of time required holds me back.  I have 2 big sprite projects to eventually finish my own mod.  I need to get this one done and then a "God of Magic" Kefka to replace Altima.  After that I would expect to rarely sprite unless I fall in love with a concept.

Really trying to focus on this and not mess with some new project.  I've been staring really hard at ff6 hacking lately.... I saw the perfect meme actually...
  • Modding version: PSX

CONMAN

small update. still haven't changed the feet.  Planning on smoothing the demon gloves out to look more like regular (big) hands.  Haven't messed with a tail poof- I assume that will be the easiest thing I do.

Valkirst

This is looking great Conman! I love seeing your work. It's so unique and transformative.
Completed Sprites
  • Discord username: Valkirst

Timbo

• Discord username: Timbo

CONMAN

Thanks everyone!  I keep putting off the feet... I think I'm going to change the tail color to grey so that the tail puff can stand out a little more.  The 2 spots where critical/dead  normally would be are spell casting frames on the lucavi frames.  I figured an roaring on all 4's would be a decent way to go.  Once I am a little closer on this sheet I will begin trying to make a port.

Ansehelm

Wow, this is brilliant  :shock:.  Brilliant.  I'll have to save a spot for this guy in my hack.  And when I'm rich and famous, I'll appoint you to be the Secretary of Spriting

Vanya

Love it!! It's almost an Owlbear, and those are awesome.
¯\(°_0)/¯

CONMAN

Sorry I haven't updated in a while.  I didn't have a computer for about a month... Rather than go back to the sprite cold, I figured I would attempt a port.  well... this demon tiamat fusion is something.... It's at least close to what I had in mind.

CONMAN

This is pretty close to what I want/think I can pull off.  This version is Lucavi type but I want to have a normal monster type as well.  I just need to shift some stuff and make a dead pose.

I couldn't get lion paws on this to look right... I tried to see what the sprite would look like with a different color tail and it was weird. Didn't like gold claws either. Put a little work into the port... it's closer.  Bulked the biceps on a few poses.  Smoothed some of the glove/hand business from the demon.

Vanya

Looks awesome!
I'm curious how wierd it looked with a different colored tail.
¯\(°_0)/¯

3lric

Quote from: CONMAN on May 24, 2019, 03:15:48 pm
This is pretty close to what I want/think I can pull off.  This version is Lucavi type but I want to have a normal monster type as well.  I just need to shift some stuff and make a dead pose.

I couldn't get lion paws on this to look right... I tried to see what the sprite would look like with a different color tail and it was weird. Didn't like gold claws either. Put a little work into the port... it's closer.  Bulked the biceps on a few poses.  Smoothed some of the glove/hand business from the demon.

This thing has got Jot5 Mark written all over it ;)

Well done man!

Now if only I could get you to do that tutorial on replacing music :D

Kagebunji

It looks clean Conman, the only suggestions I have would be for the critical and dead frames. They are pretty much the same, while you could for example on critical make his head look down with eyes closed, and on dead frames just leave a head/arm/wing whichever you please. It would add variety for sure, and keep it more to FFT style frames.

CONMAN

Thanks for the comments guys.  I actually forgot about the critical/dead frames and started messing with something else!

QuoteNow if only I could get you to do that tutorial on replacing music 

I need to try out a mic on my computer that I've never used.  I feel like I could make a passable tutorial as a video.  Honestly, I have a limited ear for music and I'm sure others could do a better job if I laid it out.

3lric

Well i mostly just need to know how to replace it in general. I could never gey pokeytax tool to work.

CONMAN

Oh, weird.  Where does it get funky for you?  You probably know excel better than I do, so I assume that you enter the file location fine and enable/run the macro (on my old excel version it is found under the view tab).  When I run it, I get the weird run-time error '1004'.  Excel tries to tell me that the mid to smd xls can not be found and then I hit end.

I close the excel sheet without saving and in the same folder as my mid-smd excel sheet an xml  sheet called MUSIC99 is created. (the default might be MUSIC## something else)

Certain midi files have not worked for me and they can definitely be too big of a file to be processed.

CONMAN

Every now and then I still peak at sprites and try to imagine if I could pull something off that I would really like to do.  I was kicking around some possible sprites and decided I would try to make a human sheet Gilgamesh.  Firstly, I didn't think it was worth it without at least 4 arms.  Also, there are many iterations of Gilgamesh to choose from.  Initially I thought about making the typical samurai style Gilgamesh.  That would be more difficult to my eye and feels a little over done.  I went with the more middle eastern style FF8 Gilgamesh.

I used parts from monk (big 'ol pants), Zalbag arms, Miroshi Beshima's Minwu sprite, and Zozma's Berserker chest.

This is still pretty rough, but I was happy to see that the concept could be pulled of. It completely fills the max height of the sprite sheet, so about as tall as Ganondorf or Garland.  Figure I'm going to put a real belt on there and maybe that head puff thing.  Probably will actually have the upper arm in co-ordination with the lower arms but probably limit the range of motion for both sets.

I'm open to suggestions.  Really hoping I don't hit any super difficult snags.

Valkirst

This is intense! So the under arms are the ones that will be swaying and hitting. That's genius!
Completed Sprites
  • Discord username: Valkirst

CONMAN

July 19, 2020, 10:47:36 pm #278 Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 12:34:46 am by CONMAN
Slowly working on Gilgy here.  Pretty close to feeling set on the walking poses.  I'm currently playing around to keep the right amount of cape on the walking frames themselves because I have to make sure it still all matches up proper when the casting frames are used instead of the walking arms.

I've jumping between a couple of different sheets making this and of course my "sketch pad" sheet had arm poses that needed to be shrunk to fit inside of the actual space available.  Expected it, but still annoyed. 

I definitely don't think I can have the upper arms move on the attack poses.  Actual weapons will need to be used by the lower arms.  I think it would be cool if I could stick a weapon in the hands of the non-moving arms, but that's probably wishful thinking.  I'll know when I get there.

edit:  After playing with shishi and thinking for a moment, I realized that the upper arms would have to be the ones wielding weapons.... Oh well, I knew I had plenty of weird arm work ahead.

Jumza

This looks like a really difficult sprite to make, but the progress looks awesome!
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.