• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 10:54:15 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Red Mage and Blue Mage sprites

Started by VincentCraven, November 17, 2007, 07:58:12 am

Asmo X

November 29, 2007, 09:47:26 am #40 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X
Cloud: Yeah I like yours. I think the white cape is a good idea. The only thing left that I want to see is how the cape actually moves. Also, how long did it take you to learn how to create sprites like that?

Regarding the Blue Mage, is it a crazy suggestion to leave the Calculator sprite? There's really no objective reason why that can't be a blue mage; we've just been trained into thinking of it as a Calc. If worse comes to worse, I think it'll be fine.

On the other hand, creating a new blue Mage sprite frees up the Calc for use in another new class.

Kuraudo Sutoraifu

November 29, 2007, 10:19:37 am #41 Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 04:50:59 pm by Kuraudo Sutoraifu
Thanks for all the compliments on the red mage, everyone.

Asmo X: I kinda want to see how it moves as well, but I've only just started using GraphicsGale.  I'm not entirely sure how to animate the sprite using that program, but I'm going to need to see it sometime just to make sure the arms are in the correct position for casting, walking, defending, and such.

And I can't say how long I've been doing sprite editing, but but I started making them for a program called RPGMaker2000 (RM2K) under the alias Dega back around 2001.  I got pretty dang good at then.  I started by just palette swapping, but then moved onto making a FFVII set for that game which turned out really well.  So I've had about six years of off and on experience.

But these Tactics sprite are a whole new thing.  There are tons of new considerations, mainly the angle and all the poses.  Getting the angle down is just a matter of time, because I have plenty of other sprites to look at to help.  Except for hats, hats suck so far.

Xifanie

November 29, 2007, 04:21:21 pm #42 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
All human sprites looks like they work in the same way (except for partially made sprites).We'd really need a custom program that allows viewing the sprite's multiple animations while working on it. :/
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Cheetah

February 15, 2008, 11:35:31 am #43 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Quote from: "Chrona"It's a .rar, you need WinRar to see it. I'll do a quick ImageShack

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/8411/bluemagevy2.png

Zodiac did you do this custom sprite? As mentioned before it needs some touchups, but I think the overall design is solid. Do you think it would be fine for you or someone else to finish this guy up and use him as the male blue mage?
Current Projects:

Kuraudo Sutoraifu

February 28, 2008, 05:59:27 pm #44 Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 12:51:33 am by Kuraudo Sutoraifu
I did an avatar for someone at the Heroes of Ivalice website, and it had just dawned on me that it was rather reminiscent of FFT:A's blue mage.  I might make it into a full sprite set if I get enough positive feedback.

Austin

February 28, 2008, 06:22:04 pm #45 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Austin
That definitely looks like a blue mage to me, I'd love to see it as a full sprite.
  • Modding version: PSX

Cheetah

February 28, 2008, 06:34:22 pm #46 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
It certainly has my vote for Blue Mage. My attempts at a male Blue Mage have been pathetic and is quite frankly driving me bonkers. Maybe a slightly  different shade of blue so it isn't so navy blue, but it looks fine as is too. I'm not a fan of the FFTA designs in general, but it is more unique then the one based on the knight and it looks quite fitting.
Current Projects:

karsten

February 29, 2008, 02:14:15 am #47 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by karsten
Quote from: "Kuraudo Sutoraifu"I did an avatar for someone at the Heroes of Ivalice website, and it had just dawned on me that it was rather reminiscent of FFT:A's blue mage.  I might make it into a full sprite set if I get enough positive feedback.

i like it. i think that i would go for the "boobed" version ingame :D nevertheless i think it would be perfect!

Kyari

February 29, 2008, 11:31:03 am #48 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kyari
Quote from: "Kuraudo Sutoraifu"I did an avatar for someone at the Heroes of Ivalice website, and it had just dawned on me that it was rather reminiscent of FFT:A's blue mage.  I might make it into a full sprite set if I get enough positive feedback.

Why would you require positive feedback to do something like that? If you want to do it, do it. If not, don't feel forced just because people like the idea.

Cheetah

February 29, 2008, 12:08:46 pm #49 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Oh I can definitely understand the need for some "positive feedback". These things take a lot of time and they are only really worth my while if people are going to use them. So if no one likes it then there is very little reason for me to do it. I can definitely understand your point of view Kyari when it comes to coming up with some designs and trying them out, but completing a full sheet and all the little tedious bits doesn't really feel like doing art for art's sake anymore. Personally I can't even tell if what I have come up with looks any good anyways. That is why I'm always posting even small changes in my work because I'm always looking for advice.
Current Projects:

Kuraudo Sutoraifu

February 29, 2008, 12:42:58 pm #50 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kuraudo Sutoraifu
Quote from: "Kyari"Why would you require positive feedback to do something like that? If you want to do it, do it. If not, don't feel forced just because people like the idea.

My answer is pretty much what Cheetah said.  I'm a sprite making machine that runs on props.  The dedication to make a full, original sprite sheet is taxing on time and energy, especially since the decompressed sprites add even more animations to do.  It helps a lot me when I have the enthusiasm of others to drive me further.

But I totally understand where you are coming from, Kyari.  If someone like something, they should do it in spite of what other people think.