• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 05:32:44 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Any kinds of tutorials for Hex editing?

Started by portalreaper, February 08, 2015, 06:14:41 pm

portalreaper

February 08, 2015, 06:14:41 pm Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 12:36:31 am by portalreaper
I've downloaded Nightmare and Windhex, and I have seen some things, but I have no idea what I'm doing. I downloaded the FFTA Nightmare Modules, and all I'm trying to do at the moment is make boots stealable. It was included in there, but I don't know where to edit any of these bytes. Any help is appreciated.

The things I plan to do after is to change weapon names and add/edit some new ability names or abilities, if possible.
Hi

bcrobert

The boots stealing is relatively easy. Open the ROM with Windhex. Under the "Search" menu you can use "Go to offset" to get to a relevant address.

Offsets and values in hex are commonly designated by 0x before the offset or value. So we'll use the first part of the shoe stealing hack as an example:

"Go to offset": The first offset is 0x12d540. Type in 12d540. This will take you to the exact location you need to change. Simply change the value that your cursor is taken to to read "03." All of the other changes are the same, just with different locations and different bytes.

It would also be useful to know that if an address starts with 08 you'll generally remove the 08 at the start because it only designates that the information is in ROM. So the address 0x083A8444 is actually just 3a8444.

If you need more detailed information about using a hex editor, I recommend simply googling "hex editing tutorial." There should be hacking sites all over the web that show how to hex edit. It's basically the same process from game to game, so the tutorials don't need to be tailor-made for FFTA.

The wall of numbers is daunting at first glance, but it really is incredibly easy to change a few bytes here and there once you know the basics.
My FFTA hacking tools: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=9559.0

Believe it or not, I'm still working on this game.

portalreaper

Hi