• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:17:39 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Revised

Started by advfox, November 20, 2014, 04:02:38 pm

advfox

Magick Frenzy? As awesome as that ability is, I'll likely end up removing it. It's broken on a whole new level. Either that, or I'll nerf it so that it only works with weak magick spells, but I don't think even that would balance it out completely.

• Modding version: PSX

FrozenDragon150

Really? I generally avoid removing abilities, greater variety gives it kind of spice, instead, i just buff other abilities of similar caliber to match it.

For example, remember that "Starter/Advanced" classes i had posted in my thread? Well, since Paladin, Parivir, Seer, Illusionist, Ninja and Hunter were the Hume's Advanced classes, i always make these classes roughly equal, for example, while Seer has Magick Frenzy, Parivir has the Blade skills, which are technically equal, if you use a dual wielded Magick Frenzy, you still could not match the power of a Geomancy-boosted Blade skill, but Seers still have Elemental spells, healing and revival spells, which the Parivir doesn't.

Something like that, Advanced classes are meant to compete against each other, not against starter classes, you could not set a Seer against a Thief, for example.

In fact, the only skills i ever remove are the Ultima skills, now THAT's overpowered.

That's just me though XD

bcrobert

But without Magick Frenzy I can't have my kickass dual-wielding Illusionist of uber-death! :(

OP units are definitively OP, but you can't tell me that they're not satisfying to use.
My FFTA hacking tools: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=9559.0

Believe it or not, I'm still working on this game.

FrozenDragon150

Quote from: bcrobert on November 28, 2014, 02:08:38 am
But without Magick Frenzy I can't have my kickass dual-wielding Illusionist of uber-death! :(

OP units are definitively OP, but you can't tell me that they're not satisfying to use.

This, if you don't want to ruin the game by using OP units, make stronger enemies that make you actually need these OP units

advfox

Quote from: bcrobert on November 28, 2014, 02:08:38 am

Quote from: FrozenDragon150 on November 28, 2014, 06:51:07 am
This, if you don't want to ruin the game by using OP units, make stronger enemies that make you actually need these OP units

Alright, those are actually good points. I think I'll leave it in.

FrozenDragon150

I wonder, why aren't there any more tools for this game, other than Lennart's, when there is so much research made? Sure, it's no PSX FFT but there are lots of stuff that can be edited, A-Abilities, Jobs, Names, Descriptions, THE WHOLE GAME SCRIP, etc.

I mean, it's not like i'm really bothered by it, just wondering.

...And no, this has nothing to do with wanting to edit the story's dialogue or anything, nor does it have anything to do with me hating how everyone speaks in the game, with rhymes all the time or anything, no sire, not at all

advfox

Quote from: FrozenDragon150 on November 28, 2014, 06:13:10 pm
I wonder, why aren't there any more tools for this game, other than Lennart's, when there is so much research made? Sure, it's no PSX FFT but there are lots of stuff that can be edited, A-Abilities, Jobs, Names, Descriptions, THE WHOLE GAME SCRIP, etc.

I mean, it's not like i'm really bothered by it, just wondering.

...And no, this has nothing to do with wanting to edit the story's dialogue or anything, nor does it have anything to do with me hating how everyone speaks in the game, with rhymes all the time or anything, no sire, not at all

There aren't a whole lot of people actively interested in FFTA2 unfortunately, so no one's bothered doing anything else with the game.

Eternal

In truth, I find A2 far more interesting than TA. Once I'm done with FFTA GG, I would really like to focus more on A2. It really is a great game.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

bcrobert

Quote from: FrozenDragon150 on November 28, 2014, 06:13:10 pm

Because literally all of that research was done by five or less people. Lennart was the only tool designer to have put a decisive effort toward this game.

A game has to be unbelievably popular to attract a listing of tool designers. Any game that isn't Pokemon, Metroid, Mario, Zelda, etc is lucky to even get one tool. If Darthatron hadn't been interested in FFTA, then the hacks coming forward now may have never existed. That's how much sway programmers have.

FrozenDragon150

I find FFTA2 to be better than FFT, I dunno, I just find the sound, graphics, and other stuff to be more appealing, plus, character designs are much better than FFT's, I mean, in that game everyone seems to be anorexic or something, and nobody has noses.

Also, game mechanics are much simpler in FFT A2, except for skill learning, that's one of the few bad points

rrs_kai

November 29, 2014, 11:52:55 pm #30 Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 12:28:08 am by rrs_kai
Quote from: Eternal on November 28, 2014, 08:47:49 pm
In truth, I find A2 far more interesting than TA. Once I'm done with FFTA GG, I would really like to focus more on A2. It really is a great game.

Agreed. It did many things right.

+better law system
+fixed most broken stuff from FFTA
+clan trails were strategic and fun
-introduced newer broken stuff
-story is purposeless and so is the main character
-monster skirmish doesn't have as much variety as clan wars

It took a few things from Tactics Ogre that IMO didn't fit well into the game
-10MP regen per turn makes slower classes incompetent (in TO MP is regenerated per passing turn of every character, meaning the slower you are, the more MP you regen by the time your turn come up)
-60exp per battle (if only enemies scaled in levels, not just monsters and Ewen)

The gameplay felt very balanced in the beginning, that is until the newer classed got unlocked and the AI degraded in intelligence

Quote from: FrozenDragon150 on November 29, 2014, 10:02:22 am
I find FFTA2 to be better than FFT, I dunno, I just find the sound, graphics, and other stuff to be more appealing, plus, character designs are much better than FFT's, I mean, in that game everyone seems to be anorexic or something, and nobody has noses.

Also, game mechanics are much simpler in FFT A2, except for skill learning, that's one of the few bad points

In FFTA2 the AP from battles is shared among all party members (even those who didn't participate), the AP from dispatch missions is also shared...how is that a bad point?

Quote from: Blue on November 27, 2014, 05:56:27 pm
Magick Frenzy? As awesome as that ability is, I'll likely end up removing it. It's broken on a whole new level. Either that, or I'll nerf it so that it only works with weak magick spells, but I don't think even that would balance it out completely.

I also dislike removing things from a game unless they are utterly incompetent.

Since you can change what triggers Magick Frenzy why not increase their MP cost, or maybe give an MP cost to Magick Frenzy itself
BadgerLordZeus's post
if all else I would love to see the No Mou use it (if possible), they can't dual wield anyway
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

bcrobert

Quote from: rrs_kai on November 29, 2014, 11:52:55 pm
In FFTA2 the AP from battles is shared among all party members (even those who didn't participate), the AP from dispatch missions is also shared...how is that a bad point?

I feel like he meant the equipment system. Your ability to learn skills is limited to what equipment you have. It worked in FFTA but in FFTA2 you have strict limits to your inventory because of the poorly implemented bazaar system. Until you unlock auctions. Then you suddenly have the best most broken equipment, which isn't exactly better.

Unrelated note: Smashing my lovely assassin in the face with a nerf hammer is not "fixing broken stuff." Ultima Masher is just as OP as ever and the nerf to status accuracy just means that status reliant units are worthless. Imho FFTA2 is the most imbalanced game in the Tactics series. :/

FrozenDragon150

Yep, I mean't the annoying equipment skill-learning.

I believe Ultima skills need to be removed, that way the classes that had them should be used for other things. Fusiliers are awesome if you leave the gunmanship skills intact, having a high chance of debuffing the foes, and having elemental damage for spice. Of course, without Ultima, Fusiliers actually need a relatively small buff.

Assasins wouldn't really need a nerf, without Ultima they are your nice rouge-type advanced class, high speed, attack, can equip katanas and greatbows, they're awesome, not utterly broken but not weak by any means.

I still use the 'Starter-Advanced' stuff, it makes balancing easier since it means some classes are mean't to be stronger/more specialized than others, like, the Parivir is supposed to be an upgrade to the Fighter, or the Paladin to the Soldier, or the Hunter to the Archer.

FrozenDragon150

Hey, Blue, did you manage to find out anything about the text pointers?

advfox

Quote from: FrozenDragon150 on December 04, 2014, 05:09:04 pm
Hey, Blue, did you manage to find out anything about the text pointers?

I've only found them in memory; I haven't found any in the game's data yet. This has been my first priority for a while now, since a lot of skill renames won't be possible without this. But there's no need to ask - I'll post anything I find as soon as possible.

FrozenDragon150

There's something that's been bothering me for a while

How are class sets chosen? Generics get their respective race's classes, but what differentiates them from unique characters with unique classes like Adelle, Vaan and Penelo?

Is it their IDs? If so, would it be possible to add/remove classes from these sets?

I just realized that if i give characters unique classes, what would they do once they reclass? They wouldn't be able to change back

advfox

I have almost no idea. I'm guessing it's all linked to a character's ID, but even then I don't know how to change what classes it can access.

bcrobert

Characters might have a defined class set in RAM that's checked whenever they change classes. If you recruit an Assassin, without the prerequisite abilities, then change her class, it should automatically remove Assassin from her options during the checks.

The mystery is how the game knows that a character has met the seemingly invisible prereqs to be a Heritor or a Sky Pirate or whatever. They didn't cop out by abusing the race system, like they did in FFTA, so it really has to be something unique to the character's data.

My issue is that I've never been able to pin down this "unique thing." Always felt like I was closer when I was screwing around with action replay codes though, so maybe their compatibility lists are somehow saved directly to RAM periodically.

FrozenDragon150

Hey, could someone here upload Lennart's Data and enemy Data?

Mediafire isn't working on my cellphone, and i'm getting impatient, my desktop is a no-go, i wanna get experimenting with his findings NAO D:

FrozenDragon150

Oh, actually, forget about that, just got it all.

...My problem is, er, how the hell is the enemy data supposed to be read? maybe I'm just dumb, but I don't seem to understand how to read it   :?