• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

[Old] Game always crashes when changing classes

Started by Mad Mage, May 26, 2012, 01:03:26 am

Mad Mage

May 26, 2012, 01:03:26 am Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 07:03:10 am by Dome
When I go to swap classes the game freezes up! Did I patch the wrong ISO? What should I try?

Dome

Where are you playing the game?
No one playing with an emulator reported this bug so far

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

Mad Mage

I tried it on a PS2 and PSP. The crash happens consistently whenever I try to change classes (on either system). I've tried downloading two different ISOs in case one was a bad rip or something and it happens on both.

If you like, I will try it on an emulator, but could someone supply me with a save file? I'm sure you can understand I'm a bit sick of playing the beginning 2 battles (once on PSP and once on PS2).

Rfh

I have not tried it, but probably that FFT + not work in an EBOOT, because there are many hacks that only work in ePSXe and pSX.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: rfh

Mad Mage

Well, I know nothing about about hacking FFT, but I know FFT 1.3 worked on PSP and as a burned iso on PS2.

Mind you, FFT 1.3 is far more difficult than I wish to enjoy, but that is why this hack on said platforms.

Dome

1.3 and + are different hacks, there is no need to compare them
+ uses more hacks than 1.3 to further alter the gameplay, but you cannot play it on console because of them
And please do not talk about other patches in +'s section unless required

Neophyte Ronin

In other words, don't discuss the other patches--we're not supposed to be competing anyway--and yeah, this edition employs hacks that keep you from....

Hey wait a minute!  This wasn't mentioned before... are you saying that Plus cannot be played on a console?  If not, then what are the culprit hacks responsible for this?  Is it anti-hacking defenses in the consoles themselves, or it is that the consoles cannot correctly read the altered data?

Dome

Quote from: Neophyte Ronin on June 03, 2012, 07:21:38 am
or it is that the consoles cannot correctly read the altered data?

This
Tbh, I don't know which hack causes it, because I used plenty
Maybe ALMA?

Kaijyuu

Basically emulators suck and allow stuff that would be impossible on real hardware. I ran into that problem a bunch of times in my SNES hacking days, but apparently the PS1 emulators are far, far worse.
  • Modding version: PSX

Mad Mage

I just wish I knew this before I wasted a bunch of time burning ISOs and playing through the beginning multiple times.

Glain

fdc fixed a lot of the hacks with load delay problems in versions of FFTP >= 0.480. I'm curious to know how many of these issues would go away with the new versions of the hacks. Of course, tracking this stuff down isn't easy, because it isn't easy to test.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

formerdeathcorps

The destruction of the will is the rape of the mind.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

Dome

A lot...Good compat does 25% instead of 50% extra dmg, Alma to transform move on water - Move on lava - Finger guard, Specials can do propositions, you can change name of human units, cursor starts on "Continue" instead of new game, Equip crossbow and sword changed, K.Swords do PA*WP damage, Undeads always come back 100% of the times, Support above Short charge gives you 25% more precision, short charge works on charge, and many others I can't remember
I think the best way to fix this problem would be to re-make FFT: Plus from scratch (Something I won't do anytime soon...maybe for 1.02)

Neophyte Ronin

That's a lot of code to cover.  Is there a way to cross-reference or diagnose code errors or glitches in a side-by-side comparison of console processing and game code?  You know, show everything in green until a piece of errant code turns up red, meaning the computer has trouble with it?

Glain

That's basically what a debugger does. They're quite handy, and the emulator pSX has a built-in one that's great for testing ASM hacks...

Except the emulator's debugger only verifies that the code works on the emulator. The problem is code that works on the emulator but not real hardware. You'd have to somehow run a debugger on the actual console itself.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown